banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

Btw, any idea when they'll reopen the factory? EMG is also in CA and their answering machine says first week of April.

Comment

Re: Spray painting a pickup after disappointing "Shop Floor Custom" experience??

When the virus decides to not be such a threat, I am guessing the governor of CA will lift the lockdown. It may take a little while, but this isn't unique to SD...every company is going through this.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This is as no-brainer situation. Send them back. On the other side with the new pickups, don't go painting or putting a sharpie on them. That will look stupid and cheap no matter what. If they aren't the right color, send them back to where you got them and GET WHAT YOU WANT! If you can't find what you want right now, be patient and wait for this virus thing to blow over.

You can actually order pickups shop floor custom directly from SD themselves without going through a dealer, unless you are outside the United States.That's how I understand it unless something has changed.

Either way, don't half-ass this. Yes, SD messed up your order from what you describe. Be patient and go the right route to get it resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          This is as no-brainer situation. Send them back. On the other side with the new pickups, don't go painting or putting a sharpie on them. That will look stupid and cheap no matter what. If they aren't the right color, send them back to where you got them and GET WHAT YOU WANT! If you can't find what you want right now, be patient and wait for this virus thing to blow over.

You can actually order pickups shop floor custom directly from SD themselves without going through a dealer, unless you are outside the United States.That's how I understand it unless something has changed.

Either way, don't half-ass this. Yes, SD messed up your order from what you describe. Be patient and go the right route to get it resolved.
          I called them before I placed the order and they actually suggested Sweetwater, unfortunately I don't think they take Floor Shop orders directly. I agree with you, it's going to look stupid no matter what and it sucks that SD is so old fashioned when it comes to order different color pickups.

Comment

Bet banjo Mike's has what you want.

Comment

He doesn't, I asked Banjo Mike's and he didn't know you could get the black matte bobbins through the floor shop. He does have one with the black metal powder coated cover but I don't want to get into the debate if a cover changes the tone or not. I just want the sound of a good ol' JB with a slight different look but same classic aggressive lead tone.
              Last edited by Edward203; 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I also thought about the Thrash factor paired with a Sentient but they won't match, they don't look the same and the Thrash factor even though is a JB, it has a slightly different tone.

Comment

I agree with the "Wait and send it back" crowd. Not like you have a gig anyway....And no Banjo etc. Won't have those in matte. Never seen them. Might get a JB/BW etc with black poles on neon or something.

I also disagree with the paint/marker crowd on look like crap. Again - depending on how you play and where you set the pups, could be awesome/just fine.

But don't do it - just wait and return.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Can I safely back up the screws and slugs so I can tape the bobbins and just spray paint the tip of the poles (screw poles and slug poles)??? Just thinking how things are going, they may not re open for a while and they are going to be absolutely swamped just with regular production for guitar manufacturers.
                    Last edited by Edward203; 03-28-2020, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Painting or staining just the poles & screws would probably work. Someone said Sharpie but Sharpie looks blue & shiny on metal. Try a bit of dye or maybe a paint pen?

If you just want satin bobbins you can rub the shine off with a bit of 3M scotchbrite.

Comment

this is an interesting concept that seems to pop up a bit!

If you bought them new I probably wouldn't want to modify them.. the re-sale value will be decreased significantly. I believe the SD Sentient/Pegusas set might be what you're looking for! or you can get the Sentient/Nazgul set for a heavier sound. They have a particular colour - though you can buy then in white and probably any other SD colour.. _ the Black/grey ones are standard and you should be able to get them easily!

just shelf the other set for now till Corona blows over or shops reopen.

I would try the other stuff if they weren't brand new pickups!

Not sure about pulling and replacing screws and pole pieces - A problem that you might encounter is, that after you remove the slugs the hole will be bigger and putting the pole pieces or screws might fall out.. could change the sound a bit there.. ecpessially it you have to wrap the screws to make them stay in place.

The other option is you could buy black plastic closed pickup covers.. or metal covers (this is a whole other long debate about weather tone changes for the better or worse.. which type of metal to use - nickle or brass.. holes or no holes.. you can get some cool covers though.. they are somewhat expensive.)

Comment

Hi, thanks. It doesn't look like I'll be getting a Floor Shop in the near future and I just hate gloss and chrome. The metal covers are a entire different debate, but the plastic ones may do without affecting tone. I wanted to avoid the cheap looking wanna be "poor man's EMG" cover but I found some in Amazon that appear to be okay. This guitar has EMGs on them and it looks awesome, it is also new, that's why I was hesitant about the sharpie or spray painting. I thought about the Pegasus, Sentient and Nazgul too but I wanted to really get the JB tone, I like the 59 too so I guess I'll just live with this for now and put the plastic covers on them.
                          Thanks!

Comment

I can't believe plastic would have any effect on tone whatsoever. The magnetos don't care about the petroleums.

Plus...you could sand/polish/paint to your hearts content for cheap!
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

It is a much better idea to use plastic than ruin a good pickup. I'd still send it back. It will be a few months, most likely. That is really nothing.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks, I'd wait too but I only have 2 guitars. Both have EMG's and sound very similar, I've been craving a different tone for a while and the JB was on the top of my list.

Comment

Working...
                                X