Looking for a teeny tiny tube amp head for recording at home with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for a teeny tiny tube amp head for recording at home with

im sure there is a schematic for a tweed princeton with a master volume out there so you could get some grit. part of the issue is the efficiency of your cab

Comment

I really like my Vox MV50 amp. It's not really a tube amp, it has Korg's Nutube device in the preamp and a Class D output, but it sounds great. It's sound also stays consistent as it's turned down, unlike many master volume tube amps. They come in several flavors; I have the "Marshall" one, but they come with Vox, Fender, and (I think) Boogie voices as well.
      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
      Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
        I really like my Vox MV50 amp. It's not really a tube amp, it has Korg's Nutube device in the preamp and a Class D output, but it sounds great. It's sound also stays consistent as it's turned down, unlike many master volume tube amps. They come in several flavors; I have the "Marshall" one, but they come with Vox, Fender, and (I think) Boogie voices as well.
        I've been interested in these little amps too. Ran across this video which makes them sound pretty OK:

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Laney IRT Studio? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g1GXyoKU&t=25s
          Peavey MH Classic 20?
          I know you don't want a modeller but I think it's wonderful for recording and reamping. Have a look at the Headrush Gigboard, very simple interface, use only the amp and IR modules if you want to record with your pedalboard.

Comment

Since you’re looking for a head, you can also have a look at Blackstar HT-1. I run mine through an Orange PPC112 cab. When I was trying it at the store I found the cab choice to make a huge difference. I’m still very happy with the sounds I get without having to go to too high volumes.

Comment

The Blackstar that I tried a couple years ago never impressed me much. The mids never sounded right too me, but I didn't spend much time with it. Maybe I should check them out again. . .

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have been looking at small head's to match with my Marshall Cab project and started out looking at the Blackheart 5 watt, Blackstar 5 watt, VHT 5 5 watt and the Masrhall. I think I'm going to end up with the Egnater 15-watt Tweaker.

However, there are a number of the 10 - 20 watt heads that have a built-in attenuator to allow you to dial-in .5 w, 1, 5, etc...

In other news, I heard the Bugera t5 was quite nice, and only $199 new. I think quality is hit or miss tho...
                -=The Dali
                --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

To be fair, attenuators (either external or built-in) on tube amps never give you the same sound as full volume. Only you can decide if the trade-off is worth it.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
                    I have been looking at small head's to match with my Marshall Cab project and started out looking at the Blackheart 5 watt, Blackstar 5 watt, VHT 5 5 watt and the Masrhall. I think I'm going to end up with the Egnater 15-watt Tweaker.

However, there are a number of the 10 - 20 watt heads that have a built-in attenuator to allow you to dial-in .5 w, 1, 5, etc...

In other news, I heard the Bugera t5 was quite nice, and only $199 new. I think quality is hit or miss tho...
                    I looked at the T5 when I was "in the market"
                    nothing wrong with it
                    the G5 had more features and was only $199 at ProAudioStar

like the Blackstar HT5 that it clones
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      To be fair, attenuators (either external or built-in) on tube amps never give you the same sound as full volume. Only you can decide if the trade-off is worth it.
                      I thought whatever attenuator they were using on the Marshall Origin amps does a pretty good job.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        I thought whatever attenuator they were using on the Marshall Origin amps does a pretty good job.
                        Oh, it might be good, it just never seems to be the same.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That mpf thing sounds pristine. I have 2 options for recording at low volumes. My 1/2 watt Nano or my Peavey on 1 watt. Both are around $500 and both sound terrif. For recording, I just set the volume and eq where I normally do, stick my condenser right in front of the amp and job done... recorded tones almost exactly like what's heard in the room and at normal levels.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                          X