Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a teeny tiny tube amp head for recording at home with

Default Looking for a teeny tiny tube amp head for recording at home with

Something that sounds different than my Traynor YCV40 (which is more of a clean Fendery thing). I don't want modelling stuff, end up playing with menus and options rather than playing guitar.

How are those little 1 watt marshall heads? Any good?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Default Re: Looking for a teeny tiny tube amp head for recording at home with

I have the Bugera G5 head
    at 0.1 watt it is loud speaking voice volume not yelling

and has an emulated headphone line out
    thats always active
    just leave the amp in standby with a speaker attached of course

their V5 and B5 Combos are supposed to be good as well

that Austrailian dude
    In the blues you Tube compares the V5 with his Marshall 5

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Ultimate Tone Slacker Rex_Rocker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    How are those little 1 watt marshall heads? Any good?
    I used to have one of the newer Vietnamese ones. It was good. The Classic channel is VERY bright, though. It can be dialed in right, but then, the Ultra channel ends up kinda flat because it has a shared EQ. I guess that's not a problem for recording, since you can adjust the amp accordingly, but keep that in mind.

The Ultra channel is a bit loose and fluffy, but it takes a tube screamer in front to tighten it up like a champ. It's kinda stuffy-sounding, so it gets along better with brighter and more open-sounding cabinets. Overall, it sounded much better through my Marshall 4x12 than through my Orange 1x12, but then again, what amp doesn't. That's the head, though. The combo with its 8" speaker doesn't sound that much better than any 8" combo out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    I used to have one of the newer Vietnamese ones. It was good. The Classic channel is VERY bright, though. It can be dialed in right, but then, the Ultra channel ends up kinda flat because it has a shared EQ. I guess that's not a problem for recording, since you can adjust the amp accordingly, but keep that in mind.

The Ultra channel is a bit loose and fluffy, but it takes a tube screamer in front to tighten it up like a champ. It's kinda stuffy-sounding, so it gets along better with brighter and more open-sounding cabinets. Overall, it sounded much better through my Marshall 4x12 than through my Orange 1x12, but then again, what amp doesn't. That's the head, though. The combo with its 8" speaker doesn't sound that much better than any 8" combo out there.
    Yeah, I don't want a combo. I want an itsy bitsy head that I can use with a vertical 2x12. Probably loaded with a v30 and manowar. Also checking out Traynor's Dark Horse.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

build yourself a little tweed princeton head, theyre like 4w.

I have an old class A el34 type tube amp, maybe 4-5 watts and even it is too loud to really get cooking when I'm recording stuff.

It's not teeny-tiny, but the Fender Bassbreaker 15 (you'd probably want the head model to save space) sounds incredible, and has a direct out on it for recording.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

here's my G5 and a comparison of my open back Jet City cab with the custom Eminence speaker
    compared to My homemade closed back Scoshe car enclosure with a cheap EHX speaker

EHD

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    I have an old class A el34 type tube amp, maybe 4-5 watts and even it is too loud to really get cooking when I'm recording stuff.
    My Jet City Picovalve has a 2/5 watt switch. Plus it will run any octal base power tube. You might be able to find a used one.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

There is the 0.5W ZVex Nano Head. Clint 55 got one recently.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...54-Nano-mofos!
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Duncan Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Duncan Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), 59(b)/59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

I've never heard those tiny amps sound all that great, actually. Maybe I just need to hear the right ones, but it seems like the selling point is that they are quieter tube amps, instead of just being amps that sound great.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

to be honest

my G5 sounds much different at 0.1 watt than it does at 5 watt
    it comes alive at 5 watt
    EHD

Best super low volume amp I have ever owned tone wise bar none is my 50 watt PRS Archon head. STUNNING super low volume tone doesn't have to mean super low wattage. Make no mistake now the Archon really gets with the program at very high volume levels and pounds like a sledge hammer but is just superb at a whisper. It's also MUCH more controllable at lower volume running the full 50 watts than the lunchbox style 15 watt PRS MT 15 is at 7 so.
    Last edited by Ascension; 03-25-2020 at 09:28 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

watch where you point that sword Phantasmagoria's Avatar

If I had 835 to spare for a tiny low gain I watt amp..I'd get one of these...

https://www.mpf-sound.es/en/amplifiers/room-one/

But I don't

Still the sweetest sounding one I've ever heard..
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gene View Post
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Asshatologist

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
    If I had €835 to spare for a tiny low gain I watt amp..I'd get one of these...

https://www.mpf-sound.es/en/amplifiers/room-one/

But I don't

Still the sweetest sounding one I've ever heard..

Man, that amp sounds lovely!

im sure there is a schematic for a tweed princeton with a master volume out there so you could get some grit. part of the issue is the efficiency of your cab

HomeGrownToneBrewologist Rich_S's Avatar

I really like my Vox MV50 amp. It's not really a tube amp, it has Korg's Nutube device in the preamp and a Class D output, but it sounds great. It's sound also stays consistent as it's turned down, unlike many master volume tube amps. They come in several flavors; I have the "Marshall" one, but they come with Vox, Fender, and (I think) Boogie voices as well.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    I really like my Vox MV50 amp. It's not really a tube amp, it has Korg's Nutube device in the preamp and a Class D output, but it sounds great. It's sound also stays consistent as it's turned down, unlike many master volume tube amps. They come in several flavors; I have the "Marshall" one, but they come with Vox, Fender, and (I think) Boogie voices as well.
    I've been interested in these little amps too. Ran across this video which makes them sound pretty OK:

Ultimate Tone Member

Laney IRT Studio? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_8g1GXyoKU&t=25s
    Peavey MH Classic 20?
    I know you don't want a modeller but I think it's wonderful for recording and reamping. Have a look at the Headrush Gigboard, very simple interface, use only the amp and IR modules if you want to record with your pedalboard.