How do I get this finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get this finish?

I have a black Ibanez RG 7-string that's far too plain looking compared to my other guitars. I love the contrast of a white/black guitar and really like the splattered/dripped finish done at an angle on the Custom Shop Washburn below.

How can I achieve a similar finish? Is it possible to do over the stock black (poly) finish and achieve half-decent results?

Re: How do I get this finish?

There's a guy that's posted on Jemsite that has done some finishes like this.

Might be worth popping over there, and asking him.
    http://www.lonephantom.com
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/author/stephen/

Comment

Thank you for that! I saw that he is in Croatia and only posts every few months, but I went ahead and messaged him, so we'll see!

In the meantime, any other thoughts or suggestions on how to accomplish this type of finish?

Comment

That looks like a splatter type.......so the paint is on something that you dribble and flick over the surface giving the long lines and drops.

It looks like you could start with either colour as a base, but that one probably started out black. But both colours are splattered over the top.

Comment

Maybe. If it isn't printed it could be done with water and paint but I'm not sure how. I did read lacquer drips on a black lacquer guitar years ago (like 37 years ago) and it was vaguely like that but nowhere near as much coverage. The hard part would be to not just end up with big white blotches.
          More investigation is required. Start scouring the internet! Someone will reveal how that was done.

Comment

Looked at the photos some more. If you sand the black body to knock off all the shine, hang it on an angle, dribble the white paint a drop or two at a time, maybe coaxing it along with an air hose or even blowing through a straw, I think you could get something like that.
            After the white paint dried you'd have to sand it flat. Then clear & sand flat again. OR spray black over the white spatters then sand back through until the white shows. That may not be how Washburn did theirs but it would get you in the ballpark.

Comment

Working...
            X