Punk Rawk Tonez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punk Rawk Tonez

I was wondering what the general idea was to get a good garage punk rock tone, akin to Alternative Ulster. I'm assuming the majority of the tone is just about any guitar into a DS-1. What are the other requirements in terms of amp, setting, and other pedals?

Re: Punk Rawk Tonez

Someone should check and see what Johnny Ramone used in his signal chain. His guitar was usually a Mosrite with a Gibson mini-humbucker in the bridge, sometimes a Tele. Pretty sure he used Marshall stuff - but I don't know specifics.

Good Ramones song for our times - "You Sound Like You're Sick"...
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Minimal setup, played loud is how you get punk rock tones. To me, I want a tone that's ragged rather than smooth for punk rock tones. Generally low to mid output pickups into a DS1, Rat, Muff, etc... or cranked amp that's on the verge of blowing up is how I would get it.

Comment

Any electric guitar plugged into any Orange amp.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

guitar -> amp turned up loud. with or without a dirt box

Comment

I played in my share of punk bands and watched a LOT of them live in the late 1980s-eraly 1990s. Most of the time it's guitar (almost always humbucker) straight into amp. SG into a Marshall half stack is the classic, but I have seen a wide variety of amps & guitars. My last hardcore band, I played an ES-335 into a Randall RG if it was a real club with a raised stage, and a '60s Tiesco teardrop hollowbody with a JB if it was floor-level.

Anybody running a distortion pedal was usually a beginner.

Johnny Ramone was straight into Marshall, ranging from a half stack to 2 full stacks depending on the size of the venue, at least the dozen or so times I saw them live.

So: humbucker, decent amp, strong right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              I was wondering what the general idea was to get a good garage punk rock tone, akin to Alternative Ulster. I'm assuming the majority of the tone is just about any guitar into a DS-1. What are the other requirements in terms of amp, setting, and other pedals?
              Stiff Little Fingers classic era used Marshalls with medium gain and humbucker tuneomatic style guitars -usually a Les Paul (Henry) and a Yamaha SG1000 (Jake) -honestly I don't hear much distortion or Overdrive pedal in their sound -more natural Marshall pre amp from something overdriving it slightly -maybe a DS1 to your point.

If you want the STF tone it's all about running the fretboard with the open D string ringing out with the melodic note runs on the G and B string. and then interspersed with tightened Barre chords in the verse section and loose cowboy/open chords ringing out during the chorus.
              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The best punk tones I've ever gotten came from a DS-1 into the effects return of my JCM800 into a half stack Orange cab. The DS-1 was set with very minimal gain (veer towards too little as opposed to too much), maximum volume, and the tone set just further than you'd think it would be.

Most of the punk tone, IMO, comes from a bright mid-heavy guitar cooking power amp tubes. It's also really important to remember that hitting the strings too hard and not always muting the strings that you aren't strumming. The key to the garage punk sound is creating the illusion that you're just barely skilled enough to play what you are playing. It adds "life" and grit.
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

The punk attitude ("I am gonna say something and you are gonna listen") is really the place to start. Then look for any gear you have access to- lack of the 'right' gear won't stop you. I'd say start with vintage-output pickups, since that is all that was available at the time.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think if the punk tones you're getting sound good you're kinda not doing it right. :P
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Some use nice gear, some use garage gear, some use a mix. Do whatever you want depending on what sound you want to achieve. I have a thing for garage gear, but it doesn't necessarily have to be all jacked up and play horrible. Here's one of Johnny Ramone's guitars. Mosrite with a strat in the bridge. Also lol at people saying you better have a hardcore approach to your attitude, playing, and gear otherwise it's wrong. What are we, in high school?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mosrite.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	5818557

I just finished this. Sounds way garage rock.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustang dialed.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	5818558
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 03-27-2020, 10:37 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Alternative Ulster was a very good tune !

For me the sound of SLF first albums are guitar into amp without any distortion pedal.

You need a fair amout of gain from the amp and play real full 6 strings barred chords.

Punk sound was not so much a matter of gear but energy.
                        Then we were not obsessed by gear. It was the DIY thing.
                        Last edited by Francois; 03-30-2020, 06:58 AM.
                        Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Exactly, the energy has to be there...it is more important than the gear.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Downstrokes and p-90s in my experience are all you really need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I played in a punk band in the 90's, and I used a Telecaster into a solid-state 50w Marshal combo, no pedals. That's all I had equipment wise, so I had no choice. Didn't sound great but that was part of the charm.

Comment

Working...
                              X