Thread: H-S-S Strat wiring for Auto-Split but with a RP/RW Middle pickup

Default H-S-S Strat wiring for Auto-Split but with a RP/RW Middle pickup

Hi,

I have a strat with a set of Fender Tex Mex Pickups in it. The Middle pickup is Reverse Wound & Reverse Polarity. I want to replace the Bridge with a Little 59 humbucker but also want to wire it with the 5-way switch auto split so I can get a the quacky position 2 setting.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Auto_Split_Mod

Will the above link's wiring diagram work with the RW/RP Middle pickup ( I want keep that so my Pos 4 is still hum canceling) or do I need to flip the Black and Green wires (ie. ground the Black wire and connect the Green wire to the switch)?

Thanks
    Eric

Default Re: H-S-S Strat wiring for Auto-Split but with a RP/RW Middle pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Hollandweb View Post
    Hi,

I have a strat with a set of Fender Tex Mex Pickups in it. The Middle pickup is Reverse Wound & Reverse Polarity. I want to replace the Bridge with a Little 59 humbucker but also want to wire it with the 5-way switch auto split so I can get a the quacky position 2 setting.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...Auto_Split_Mod

Will the above link's wiring diagram work with the RW/RP Middle pickup ( I want keep that so my Pos 4 is still hum canceling) or do I need to flip the Black and Green wires (ie. ground the Black wire and connect the Green wire to the switch)?

Thanks
    Eric
    This web article says that a Fender Tex Mex Middle Pickup isn't reverse wound - just reverse polarity.

https://www.stratcat.biz/single-coil...aluation.shtml

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200328_023839.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	103905

To achieve hum-canceling, the two coils being combined need to be opposite in magnetic polarity and opposite in wind direction.

The Premier Guitar diagram you referenced, is wired so that when the humbucker is split, it will be the North coil that remains active. That gets us half way there for our two hum-canceling requirements (i.e. opposite magnetic polarity is achieved) but not reverse wind, because this next pic shows that the North coil of a humbucker has a clockwise wind:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200328_024323.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	103906

So... as you suspected, you will need to swap Black and Green wires on the Lil 59 in order to reverse the wind direction so it and the Middle Tex Mex pup are opposite wind directions, and then you will have hum-csnceling when these two pups are combined.

Also, the Position of Middle and Bridge is Position 2, not 4. Position 1 is Bridge, and Positon 5 is Neck. Some diagrams and articles out on the web describe these in reverse order for some reason.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-28-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

Default Re: H-S-S Strat wiring for Auto-Split but with a RP/RW Middle pickup

Thanks Jack_TriPpEr. That all makes sense I should be receiving the Little 59 today and will give it a try.

-Eric