banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pickup Recommendations for Les Paul Custom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Recommendations for Les Paul Custom?

I'm looking for ideas on replacing the pickups in my 2004 Les Paul Custom ('57 Custom Shop Reissue). This one has the all-mahogany body, no maple cap, and ebony fretboard. I believe the stock pickups are '57 Classics. Basically, I would like the guitar to sound more like a Les Paul Standard. To my ears it sounds too bright and thin, lacking the full body I usually associate with a Standard. It took me awhile to appreciate the fact that these two models seem to have their own unique sounds. At first I thought my guitar was just particularly bright, but I have watched a number of videos of people demo-ing other LP Customs (especially Joel at Chicago Music Exchange) and I just don't like that tone as much, even in the hands of excellent players! I would say my guitar sounds fairly typical for a Custom, based on listening to other videos.
    My tonal reference points are as follows: 1990's LP Standard with stock 490R/T pups which I think sounds great, well-balanced, versatile. 1980's Heritage H-140 which also sounds great now that I replaced the EMG 81's it had with Seymour Duncan '59's. I like the tone of the '59's, but they seem to have a moderate output similar to the '57 Classics in the Custom and less than the 490's in my Standard. I tried the moving the EMG's over to the Custom for awhile. I thought these also were too bright for my taste, but did like the fact that the EMG's tone controls were very linear and the guitar tone was preserved when rolling down the volume.
    I suppose one obvious answer could be to just sell the Custom and replace it with a Standard, but I love the Black Beauty look and the feel of ebony board. The type of music I'm playing of late is mostly 80's power pop, rock, some punk-ish stuff (Replacements, Clash, Joe Jackson, Pixies, Bowie, Weezer). I've read a lot of the descriptions of the Duncan pickup offerings, but kind of hard to know how to compare when the pickups I own are all different brands. Even Gibson describes the '57 Classic as "warm" even though it doesn't sound that way in my guitar.
    I'd like to have something to give a more full-bodied tone, ideally similar in output to the 490's so I could easily switch guitars in a live performance without having to change amp/pedal settings. Any advice would be appreciated--thanks!

Re: Pickup Recommendations for Les Paul Custom?

welcome to the forum!

what value pots are in the guitar? is it both neck and bridge you find too bright/thin?

Comment

I just checked. They are 500K's. Both neck and bridge too thin for me.

Comment

gibson uses 300k in many of their guitars which would warm things up a fair amount. i might try putting two 300k pots on one of the pups and see what you think. relatively cheap and easily reversible if you can solder

Comment

I switched to Ernie Ball Slinky 11-48 on my bright Les Paul. I also used DR Pure Blues to tame a bright Strat. Use your tone pot.
          Cheap to try.
          Last edited by donaldr; 03-27-2020, 09:42 AM. Reason: Meant DR Pure Blues

Comment

For a quick simulation of 300k pots, put the tones on about 7 and see how you like that.

That ebony board certainly adds some snap & bright. But you might just have an unusually bright chunk of Mahogany.

Try the tone at 7 - if that is a lot better, go for 300k pots. After that, I'm thinking A2P's in this guitar.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you email Lindy Fralin and tell him what you told us, he will whip you up a set that resolves this issue. My guess would be he would slightly underwind one of his Pure PAF’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

For what it's worth, I have the 490r/498t set in my 93 Standard and the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set in my 16 Traditional, and I have no issues switching between them live. I'm not sure an adjustment of pickup height wouldn't do the trick here.

Having said that, in the Duncan catalog the JB/59 set or the Custom/59 are in that ballpark, with the Custom seeming to be preferred by most folks here. I haven't used either one in a Les Paul but I've considered trying a JB in the bridge. Or you could just get a used 490r/498t set for a third the price of new Duncans if you like those.

The 57 Classics sound a lot like the Slash set to my ears. I've A/Bd them (2 different guitars, but playing the both through the same rig). There are minor differences, but they're close. In terms of "full bodied," I think you're looking at a livelier PAF set like the Pearly Gates or maybe Seths, or just getting a hotter bridge pickup to match the output of the 498t.

Comment

Too bright is easy as pie to handle. Not bright enough is the hard problem.

Start with your amp. It has tone controls for a reason.

Mess with your tone pots. You want a guitar to be very bright wide open, so that you can set the tone knob down a bit as your "home base," then have room to go either up or down in treble from there. Try them with subtle settings, like 9 or 8.

Also, try messing with your pickup and pole piece heights.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-26-2020, 06:24 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Believe it or not, the Black Winter set should be considered. Despite the description, the EQ here should work, and this set is great for lots of other things than just black metal. For a set that is less hot, look at the Alnico II Pro.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You might consider other things like tuners - if Grover they are very heavy and put a lot of weight on headstock - colder tone as a result.
                      I have successfully moved to Schaller Keystone tuners - with sudden much warmer tone and resonant overall. A lot of warm harmonics I did not have before.
                      Probably half weight of Grover tuners often equipped on Gibson.

I did this on both a LesPaul Standard and ES-335 with Gibson-57 - very nice lift for both guitars.

The Kluson without a nut are crap too - those with 1/4" axxis in a 3/8" hole and a press bushing on top. The style should be seated with 9.8mm at bottom and a nut - much better. There are Kluson that style too, but Schaller Keystone I did on another LP std - new instrument. It were equipped with that simple style Kluson where all is seated in the mechanism in tuner - not seated in headstock with 9.8mm hole.

Easy to forget about this ....
                      Last edited by Larioso; 03-26-2020, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Custom Custom bridge / Alnico 2 Pro neck to tame the brightness and have similar output to 498/490

Alternately JB/A2 bridge, Seth neck

Warmer than Classics but not 498 level output, Brobucker bridge, A2P neck or 59/A4 neck.

I’m surprised it’s so bright, though.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                          Mess with your tone pots. You want a guitar to be very bright wide open, so that you can set the tone knob down a bit as your "home base," then have room to go either up or down in treble from there. Try them with subtle settings, like 9 or 8.
                          +1
                          On my bright Les Paul: volumes around 8 and tones around 7. So I can go louder/crunchier/brighter or lower/smoother/darker easily without touching the amp eq. Same with my Strat.

+1 also.
                          That transformed my Les Paul from needing a pickup swap to enjoying what I already have. I might need a pickup swap in the future but just because I want to try an A2.

Comment

+1
                            On my bright Les Paul: volumes around 8 and tones around 7. So I can go louder/crunchier/brighter or lower/smoother/darker easily without touching the amp eq. Same with my Strat.

+1 also.
                            That transformed my Les Paul from needing a pickup swap to enjoying what I already have. I might need a pickup swap in the future but just because I want to try an A2.

Comment

Working...
                            X