Helping out the kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helping out the kid

A childhood friend has a 13 year old nephew... the kid has severe aplastic anemia, no immune system at all. He's been in a Denver hospital for 2 years. He is bored to tears. My pal decided the nephew needed a hobby, and how about a guitar? So he tasked me with finding a guitar for the kid and all the accessories. The hospital staff will disinfect the whole rig before handing it over.

I have some generous clients, and many of them know my pal Dave. They wanted to help out with money. So instead of a cheap guitar, I soon had the funds to get something decent. I was looking for something used, but just bought a new Dean spalted maple acoustic cut-away from a local dealer who had extras still boxed up in the back. He had gigbags and all the rest - a strap, picks, some books. The tuner is built in. When I told him it was for a sick kid, he let me have the whole shebang for $150 and tax.

It's been in the warehouse for awhile, so I need to smooth off the pointy fret ends and polish the frets. Gonna put on fresh strings and set the action low so the kid doesn't bruise his fingers. Tossing in another set of strings, too. It's quite pretty, so he should love it. Will box it back up and mail it off - no cost to the kid or his family. If his mom sends a picture of his smiling face and the guitar, I'll share it here on the forum.

So that's my feel good story for the week. We kinda need one. He needs a BIG ONE. Remember ATLEE. And thanks to the folks at Gartens Music in Wichita.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Helping out the kid

Atlee is on a bunch of prayer lists.... Last month they found spots on his lungs. He had X-rays today.... Doc says it's a miracle. No spots.

Comment

Yas that's a no brainer. Set that acoustic up perfectly for that kid.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Nice job!
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Dude, thats an awesome gesture. Hopefully the gift will bring as big a smile to Atlee's face as you doing this has done for me. I applaud your efforts and generousity sir. Atlee will be in our thoughts
          1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
          Jackson Soloist 7 string
          ESP LTD M-400
          Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Thank you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Took the Post Office a fricking week to send it from Wichita to Denver.... WTH? For $122 I could have delivered it myself and had money left over for pizza.

Then it took 3 tries to deliver it - said no one was there to receive it... IT'S A FRICKING KID'S HOSPITAL. Someone is ALWAYS there.

Anyway, here's a picture of Atlee unboxing it. I was told the staff would unbox it and disinfect first.... guess not.
              When he finally got it all open (I pack guitars for worst case scenario), all he could say was "It's so beautiful. Thanks to everybody who got this for me!".

And where did he get that filet knife?

Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-10-2020, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Awesome, he really looks happy! Also, it's nice to see that you too have a kind heart, afterall... :P

Comment

I'd post the video sent from Dropbox, but no one wants to see a kid spending three and a half minutes pulling bubble wrap out of a box bigger than he was.

Comment

Young Atlee passed away Thursday evening surrounded by family in his bedroom at home in western Kansas, with his cat on the bed.
                    Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-18-2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Damn. Sorry to hear that. It’s no age at all.

Comment

Terrible news indeed. My deepest condolences to you and the family.
                        Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I’m sorry to hear.
                          Prayers for him, his family and loved ones at this difficult time.

Comment

Wow. So sad. But I hope he got some happiness from the guitar in his last year.

Comment

This breaks my heart. Especially the cat part. The love between a kid and a pet is one of the purest and most unconditional I can imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X