Favorite DS-1 Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite DS-1 Mods

So I recently bought a Boss DS-1, and while I like it, I get the feeling that it could be better, but I don't know exactly how. I was wondering what mods you guys know of that have fixed your issues with the DS-1. I may not even mod it, I just want to know what short comings other folks have found so that I can better know how to adjust my other settings around them.

I may also mod it just because I've never had the chance to mod a pedal before.

Re: Favorite DS-1 Mods

Everyone who plays guitar needs to have a DS-1 on their pedal board at least once in their lifetime. I’ve thought about modding mine several times but just never got around to it.

One of the keys to getting the best out of the DS-1 is to put it in front of an already overdriven amp as opposed to a clean amp. Many people find that when using it purely as a distortion pedal in front of a clean amp that it sounds too brittle and harsh. Drive the amp first, then add in the DS-1 and you’ll find that’s where it really shines. It’s not the most versatile pedal ever, but it’s definitely not as bad as people make it out to be.

This guy has some decent tips on the stock DS-1.

Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Oh, and one other question. I want to experiment with using it as a preamp to my Johnson 150 Millenium. While the loop does exist in the signal path before the modeling circuit, it is also line level. I know that running a pedal in a line level loop is bad, but should it be alright if I just plug a pedal into the return?

Comment

There is a mod for this pedal that literally involves snipping out one diode or whatever. There is a thread in here on it somewhere.

I'll recommend the MXR 78 BAd@$$ if a DS-1 pedal that sounds awesome is what you want. But if you want to play - go for the cheapest you can find. Great place to start modding from what I have heard.
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

There are tons of Keeley kits also...
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            There is a mod for this pedal that literally involves snipping out one diode or whatever. There is a thread in here on it somewhere.
            I recently bought one of the 40th Anniversary DS-1s that had that the previous owner did that mod to. I'll report back once I get a chance to play it.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I've been doing my research and I've found do popular sets of mods. The first involves biasing transistor Q2 and the second involves modifying the tone stack.

I like the DS-1 as it gives you that sound for garage style punk rock, but I also think it has some room for improvement. So keeping in mind I like the character of the pedal but would like a better sound:

This mod is essentially the AMZ Fat Mod, so it reduces harshness and buzz, but the values are much closer to the original values of the pedal:

R9: 680 Ohms
              R6: 68K

This mod closes the gap between the high and low pass filter so that there is still a mid cut, but it's not nearly as extreme:

R17: 8.2k
              C12: 47nF

The thing about these mods is that I'm not changing so much as to completely alter the character of the pedal. I'll let you know how these mods go once I get the chance to do them.

Comment

The MOSFET stuff sounded promising in this one:

Boss pedals’ ruggedness and reliability have made them staples on professional pedalboards for decades, but by switching just a few components you can unleash their best possible characteristics.

I even bought all parts to do it (and some other stuff too), but never touched the DS-1, only my NS-2, since it wasn't doing what I wanted. But the DS-1 worked and eventually got retired in favor of another distrortion. Maybe now would be the time to do it???

Comment

I did one of the Monte Allums mod kits on it and thought it was a huge improvement. I eventually moved it on because I still had other pedals I liked more, but there are some good options out there.

If one comes up locally cheap enough, I’ll probably pick up another to test out one of the Machinehead Pedals mods on it too. http://machineheadpedals.com/pedal%20mods.html

Comment

I had one with the snipped resistor/capacitor?? mod to give it much more push/volume.
                    I used it for about a week and then sold it, I think maybe I sold it here? Not really my flavor.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                      I had one with the snipped resistor/capacitor?? mod to give it much more push/volume.
                      I used it for about a week and then sold it, I think maybe I sold it here? Not really my flavor.
                      The DS-1 is a really funny circuit in that if you clip only 4 components, you can turn it from a garage band distortion pedal into a somewhat refined overdrive. Just cut the high pass filter off the tone stack and remove the clipping diodes and there you have it.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Well, that's fine, if you don't want a garage band sound.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Well, that's fine, if you don't want a garage band sound.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                          Why don't you elaborate on you fav DS-1 mod -the buy an MT-2 mod.
                          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

My best mod is throwing in the corner. Lol.

I dont get this pedal.

It only sounds good to me with the tone and drive down. I use a rat way more

Comment

Working...
                            X