Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Default Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Thanks a lot everyone. I think i'll give 59/C hybrid a try. Also will check out something from custom series for a different guitar, i think the ceramic one or the custom custom.

Default Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Let us know how it turns out. I have a few Hybrids, and really like them. They are a little more open than A2-based pickups, but the Hybrid takes all gain ranges well, and sounds wonderful split, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Custom custom is a fantastic pickup. Great for hard rock and somehow it really does sound like the pickup mustaine used on the rust in peace rhythm tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultimate Tone Member BeKindRewind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nsatke81 View Post
    Custom custom is a fantastic pickup. Great for hard rock and somehow it really does sound like the pickup mustaine used on the rust in peace rhythm tracks.

I tend to agree, the CC is a really good alternative to a JB, it still has that huge amount of mid grind , so it's good if you like the Mustaine tone, but it's got that Alnico II flavor if you prefer that

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

The CC definitely needs a Floyded Super-Start to shine. Or a V, I guess. It is a wayyyy different creature in mahogany/23 3/4 scale LP styles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    The CC definitely needs a Floyded Super-Start to shine. Or a V, I guess. It is a wayyyy different creature in mahogany/23 3/4 scale LP styles.
    is it THAT dark??

Quote Originally Posted by Nsatke81 View Post

really? i'm not a massive pickup guru but i could swear that i can hear the JB there, exactly the way it's supposed to sound for me. One of my favourite metal albums, one of the reasons being rhythm guitar tone, and the rhytm guitar parts as well of course. How close to that sound the custom custom can do?

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolai View Post
    is it THAT dark??
    In a Les Paul? Yeah. Common problem is not enough highs. It is huge as far as mids go, and crunchy, but usually has mushy soft bass and way less highs than people want - in an LP.

Not saying that you can't use one, or it won't work for you. I had one in an Epiphone for years. It really worked for what I wanted to do with that guitar. But what I wanted was Woman tone era Clapton, Allmans, Skynryrd, slide, etc.
    Last edited by Aceman; 04-04-2020 at 05:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

really? i'm not a massive pickup guru but i could swear that i can hear the JB there, exactly the way it's supposed to sound for me. One of my favourite metal albums, one of the reasons being rhythm guitar tone, and the rhytm guitar parts as well of course. How close to that sound the custom custom can do?
    For the longest time I thought it was a JB as well. Several years ago I had a kv-2 that I dropped a custom custom into. It was stunning how close the sound was. It had a different quality to the midrange that just nailed that RIP rhythm tone. It may not be as close in other guitars...but in the kv-2 it was perfect.

Tone Member

I have had each of the four options in the same guitar. Of the four, 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid, I liked the 59 trembucker the best. You probably don't want to hear this, but I have a plain old production line JB in it and that does the job quote nicely. Very responsive to the volume pot.

is it THAT dark??
    No, it isn't dark. I use mine in a Music Man (alder) with a vintage trem. It doesn't sound dark, but it does sound thick. Great across a bunch of gain ranges, and it takes up a swath of frequencies, perfect for a 1 guitar band.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions! My areas are 61 middle and vv54pro neck. The guitar is more kinda on the brighter side. Most of your suggestions were already considered including CC, AII pro, Slash, and even the AT-1. The super distortion might be too hot and the AT-1 as well actually but i don't know why i narrowed it down to those 4.
    I don't know much about magnet swaps although someone suggested me this already but i don't want to experiment a lot with this as i'm actually new to this.
    Is the only difference between the pickups in the custom series is the magnet, that can just be swapped by myself?
    I think i'll narrow it down to 59/c hybrid and CC. Which one would give me the actual feeling of a FULL sound, with fat crunch. Not gonna be too picky about the high gains as i'm sure any humbucker mentioned in this post will do it for me practically speaking and it's more about the amp. But a FULL and sweet, maybe kinda LP-ish crunch and medium gain is what i'm after, and balancing up with the single coils is a lower priority which i'll sort out after i find the perfect bridge HB first. Thank you.
    Have had both the CC and Hybrid in the bridge with singles in the middle.
    Will say it's no contest between the CC and the Hybrid and here are a few reasons why.
    First off even though everything will tell you the CC is the hotter pickup in the real world its absolutely not.
    The Hybrid is much more alive and dynamic in so many ways than the CC is. It's much tighter under higher gain and articulate than the CC will be. It's also a much more versatile pickup than a CC is. Now here is the plus split with the middle Area its going to KILL! Really will give you a convincing pos 2 Strat tone much more so than the CC will. Both the Hybrid and the CC have the slug coils in common that are normally the ones split but the Alnico 5 mag in the Hybrid gives it a superior split tone by far.
    A Hybrid with real singles is one of my all time favorite H/S/S set ups.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

is it THAT dark??
    Can be in some guitars and also soft in the bottom. The Hybrid will really pickup the character of a guitar, more so than most pickups will. Have used them in a number of different guitars no 2 sounded the same.
    Here is a Hybrid in my solid KOA neck through Carvin DC 127 through my little Mesa Subway Rocket combo few effects and unmiced.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Same pickup in a Pine Body Modern Player Tele in a H/S/S through my Boogie .50 cal + un miced no effects.
    Guitars