banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

"Full and sweet" is absolutely the Custom Custom.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

I agree, CustomCustom is probably the best choice in this instance (or the AT-1 which also does well in Strat types).

I love the Hybrid but in a bright sounding guitar IMO it's quite unlikely to sound fat enough for you.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

All these pickups are PAF based pickups... So all similarish - the SH-16 hybrid/custom is the pickup that I would personally say has the most 'different' sound... I think it has personality! But its not for everyone and not for every situation and style... As far as a 'full' sound goes.. that is also a bit subjective... I would've thought the SH-6 distortion or super distortion would be good pick.. but also the Custom 5 - actually any of the customs would work!! For me when I think of a full sounding pickup, its usually the neck that I'm thinking of ... and has to do with cleanness ... there's some modern type pickups the just plow thru everything!.. So I think EQ has a lot to do with what you might be searching for? some of the best full sounds can come from traditional PAF style pups and a cranked-up amp! ... so many factors to consider. we are very spoiled for options these days!

Comment

The Super Distortion is not that high in output IME. That’s why it’s so much better to me than things like the JB and 500T, which are so hot that they can easily get problematic with low headroom amps. Super Distortions manage to have aggressive and balanced tone, but without hitting the amp so hard that mud is typically a problem.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Yes - remember, that when the SuperD came out, you didn't have to be that much hotter than a PAF to be like mega-over-the-topz. Today, the bar is much much higher....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone. I think i'll give 59/C hybrid a try. Also will check out something from custom series for a different guitar, i think the ceramic one or the custom custom.

Comment

Let us know how it turns out. I have a few Hybrids, and really like them. They are a little more open than A2-based pickups, but the Hybrid takes all gain ranges well, and sounds wonderful split, too.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Custom custom is a fantastic pickup. Great for hard rock and somehow it really does sound like the pickup mustaine used on the rust in peace rhythm tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post
                    Custom custom is a fantastic pickup. Great for hard rock and somehow it really does sound like the pickup mustaine used on the rust in peace rhythm tracks.

I tend to agree, the CC is a really good alternative to a JB, it still has that huge amount of mid grind , so it's good if you like the Mustaine tone, but it's got that Alnico II flavor if you prefer that

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

The CC definitely needs a Floyded Super-Start to shine. Or a V, I guess. It is a wayyyy different creature in mahogany/23 3/4 scale LP styles.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                        The CC definitely needs a Floyded Super-Start to shine. Or a V, I guess. It is a wayyyy different creature in mahogany/23 3/4 scale LP styles.
                        is it THAT dark??

Comment

Originally posted by Nsatke81 View Post

really? i'm not a massive pickup guru but i could swear that i can hear the JB there, exactly the way it's supposed to sound for me. One of my favourite metal albums, one of the reasons being rhythm guitar tone, and the rhytm guitar parts as well of course. How close to that sound the custom custom can do?

Comment

Originally posted by Nickolai View Post
                            is it THAT dark??
                            In a Les Paul? Yeah. Common problem is not enough highs. It is huge as far as mids go, and crunchy, but usually has mushy soft bass and way less highs than people want - in an LP.

Not saying that you can't use one, or it won't work for you. I had one in an Epiphone for years. It really worked for what I wanted to do with that guitar. But what I wanted was Woman tone era Clapton, Allmans, Skynryrd, slide, etc.
                            Last edited by Aceman; 04-04-2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nickolai View Post
                              really? i'm not a massive pickup guru but i could swear that i can hear the JB there, exactly the way it's supposed to sound for me. One of my favourite metal albums, one of the reasons being rhythm guitar tone, and the rhytm guitar parts as well of course. How close to that sound the custom custom can do?
                              For the longest time I thought it was a JB as well. Several years ago I had a kv-2 that I dropped a custom custom into. It was stunning how close the sound was. It had a different quality to the midrange that just nailed that RIP rhythm tone. It may not be as close in other guitars...but in the kv-2 it was perfect.

Comment

I have had each of the four options in the same guitar. Of the four, 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid, I liked the 59 trembucker the best. You probably don't want to hear this, but I have a plain old production line JB in it and that does the job quote nicely. Very responsive to the volume pot.

Comment

Working...
                                X