banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Originally posted by Nickolai View Post
    is it THAT dark??
    No, it isn't dark. I use mine in a Music Man (alder) with a vintage trem. It doesn't sound dark, but it does sound thick. Great across a bunch of gain ranges, and it takes up a swath of frequencies, perfect for a 1 guitar band.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions! My areas are 61 middle and vv54pro neck. The guitar is more kinda on the brighter side. Most of your suggestions were already considered including CC, AII pro, Slash, and even the AT-1. The super distortion might be too hot and the AT-1 as well actually but i don't know why i narrowed it down to those 4.
      I don't know much about magnet swaps although someone suggested me this already but i don't want to experiment a lot with this as i'm actually new to this.
      Is the only difference between the pickups in the custom series is the magnet, that can just be swapped by myself?
      I think i'll narrow it down to 59/c hybrid and CC. Which one would give me the actual feeling of a FULL sound, with fat crunch. Not gonna be too picky about the high gains as i'm sure any humbucker mentioned in this post will do it for me practically speaking and it's more about the amp. But a FULL and sweet, maybe kinda LP-ish crunch and medium gain is what i'm after, and balancing up with the single coils is a lower priority which i'll sort out after i find the perfect bridge HB first. Thank you.
      Have had both the CC and Hybrid in the bridge with singles in the middle.
      Will say it's no contest between the CC and the Hybrid and here are a few reasons why.
      First off even though everything will tell you the CC is the hotter pickup in the real world its absolutely not.
      The Hybrid is much more alive and dynamic in so many ways than the CC is. It's much tighter under higher gain and articulate than the CC will be. It's also a much more versatile pickup than a CC is. Now here is the plus split with the middle Area its going to KILL! Really will give you a convincing pos 2 Strat tone much more so than the CC will. Both the Hybrid and the CC have the slug coils in common that are normally the ones split but the Alnico 5 mag in the Hybrid gives it a superior split tone by far.
      A Hybrid with real singles is one of my all time favorite H/S/S set ups.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

is it THAT dark??
        Can be in some guitars and also soft in the bottom. The Hybrid will really pickup the character of a guitar, more so than most pickups will. Have used them in a number of different guitars no 2 sounded the same.
        Here is a Hybrid in my solid KOA neck through Carvin DC 127 through my little Mesa Subway Rocket combo few effects and unmiced.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Same pickup in a Pine Body Modern Player Tele in a H/S/S through my Boogie .50 cal + un miced no effects.
          Guitars

Comment

Working...
          X