banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

Hey guys! Imagine a pretty regular setup: standard hss strat (maple fingerboard, 500k pots, DMZ Areas), Marshall style amp, TS-9. Playing blues, blues-rock, hard rock, occasionally heavy metal/hair metal. I need the fullest sounding humbucker in the bridge excluding all of the high output monsters. Don't care that much about clean sounds with this guitar as well as extreme high gains. I want full and fat crunch, strong low end, growling distortion. The key word here is "full" sound, that's the most important, also fat and with pretty good lows. I don't want a vintage LP in a strat seriously i know it's not possible but still let me ask what would get me closer to a really full and bassy bridge sound out of these pickups: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or a 59/Custom hybrid? Or anyhing else that would fit my needs? Maybe some pickup with a2 magnets and very good lows will be the answer? Nothing hotter than 59/C Hybrid please. Thanks a lot. Nik

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

I rocked a Pearly Gates in a red strat for a few years

Think it sounds pretty okay

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by Myaccount876
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Re: 59, Pearly Gates, Screamin' Demon, or 59/Custom hybrid in the bridge of hss?

It sounds like you would dig the Custom Custom. It is really full sounding, and perfect for a 1 guitar band, as it takes up a lot of sonic space.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Its good that your have 500k pots. Very few humbuckers work well with 250k's in most strats. I agree with Mincer, I REALLY like the CustomCustom in a strat. Overall a really fat pickup that also has good split tones to combine with single coils, and good clean tones. If you want tight fat bottom end, the Demon might be more of what you are looking for. I like the 59 in a strat too, its output works well with singles.
        Which Dimarzio Areas do you have? If it is the Area 58 or Area 67, any of those humbuckers are going to overpower them quite a bit. The Area 61 or VV 54 Pros keep up with humbuckers better. I have tried dozens of humbuckers in my strats over the years and have ended up liking the CustomCustom, and the old Fender Atomic Humbucker out of the post 2007 highway One Strats (the ones wound around 17K). My strats have 300k control pots in them. Works for traditional singles and humbuckers.

Comment

I don't know, if the bridge humbucker in a strat overpowers the middle and neck singles, isn't that what it's for? Kind of like a built in overdrive. You want clean, use the neck or middle (or both), when you want to kick it in the pants, you switch to the bridge.

Comment

Out of that list, the '59/C Hybrid will have the strongest low end and low mids.

I would go for a Super Distortion, myself. Great balance, great clarity, aggressive in tone, but not too high in output, and as classic as it gets in a "super Strat."
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

If you want full. Take your pick of vintage or vintage hot and stick a double thick A2 in there. It's exactly what you're looking for.

Last edited by Clint 55; 03-28-2020, 01:06 PM.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

All that you've listed are cool. 59B and SD are a bit of a gamble I would say. The results would depend on the guitar. If it were to be a bit bright, then 59B and SD might not be good fits. So instead I'd suggest WLH bridge.

And I would say you gotta check out PATB-3, I think it is a hell of a pickup.

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Dimarzio AT-1. Although it will be higher output than the single coils. If you set the height right, not too low, and not crazy high it will do what you want. More clarity and cut than the Custom Custom.

WLH probably won't work as I found it was quite bright and scooped when used in a Strat.
                  Last edited by Teleplayer; 03-28-2020, 05:36 AM.

Comment

I think I'd get a 59B Trembucker and change the polished A5 magnet to a roughcast A2. It'll sound more like an Antiquity, which are my favorite humbuckers Duncan makes.
                    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I have to say - so many answers here, but In priority, here are the ones I like:

#1 I think a Super Distortion really does what you want.
                      #2 I also think the Custom Custom from Duncan would be a better fit than those mentioned

Of those listed, in order: 59/C would be best, and I'll call it #3 on the list above

Then the 59 and the Demon last.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm gonna be a Weiner, and actually gonna suggest one that's not on your list , Alnico II Pro (or Slash model). Based on your description of the sound you wanted I think it'd do better than the 59 or pearly gates

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

i love the Screaming' demon and like the pearly gates and 59s.
                          But all of them are HUmbuckers i wouldn't describe as fat at all. Compared to a single coil the might be fat, but they are bright not fat.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your answers and suggestions! My areas are 61 middle and vv54pro neck. The guitar is more kinda on the brighter side. Most of your suggestions were already considered including CC, AII pro, Slash, and even the AT-1. The super distortion might be too hot and the AT-1 as well actually but i don't know why i narrowed it down to those 4.
                            I don't know much about magnet swaps although someone suggested me this already but i don't want to experiment a lot with this as i'm actually new to this.
                            Is the only difference between the pickups in the custom series is the magnet, that can just be swapped by myself?
                            I think i'll narrow it down to 59/c hybrid and CC. Which one would give me the actual feeling of a FULL sound, with fat crunch. Not gonna be too picky about the high gains as i'm sure any humbucker mentioned in this post will do it for me practically speaking and it's more about the amp. But a FULL and sweet, maybe kinda LP-ish crunch and medium gain is what i'm after, and balancing up with the single coils is a lower priority which i'll sort out after i find the perfect bridge HB first. Thank you.

Comment

CC is a lot more full and doesn't feel that much hotter than a 59/C. I have both in different guitars and like them.

Comment

Working...
                              X