Trying to decide between speakers - Greenback / Man o War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide between speakers - Greenback / Man o War

Trying to decide between speakers. I've been using a v30 in a 1x12 closed back cab, coupled with a Cannabis Rex in a 1x12 open back cab for quite a few years now and really like the combo. Nice cleans, plays well with effects, lots of highs to cut through, present but controlled bass response. Thinking about getting a cab with a very different voice - something that'll still work well for cleans but really shines for mild to moderate overdrive.

I've been listening to a lot of clips and have narrowed things down to a pair of celestion greenbacks in a closed back 2x12, or an Eminence Man O War in a closed back 1x12 as the speakers I'm most interested in. Will probably be used with a smaller British voiced tube amp, although may also hook it up to my 6L6 Traynor from time to time.

Anyone with experience with one or both of these speakers? (Also kinda interested in the Eminence Private Jack.)
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Re: Trying to decide between speakers - Greenback / Man o War

I'd vote for the Emi's, but then, I don't really like Green backs.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

There’s something about greenbacks for me. Every time I hear them, warts and all, it just sounds “right”. Even the higher wattage and Eminence versions don’t sound right. Like the JB mid peak and flubby lows, Tube Screamer “lack of bass”, Strat’s buzz, when you fix the issues you lose the character.

Then again, all the Eminence clips I’ve heard sound really good, I’m sure you can’t go wrong there.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The greenback is a weird speaker for me. I didn't like the middy no bass sound, especially in an open back cab when I first played 'em. But I was looking for sparkling cleans at the time, and the speaker just doesn't do that. Tried them more recently in a closed back cab while aiming for a warm classic rock OD tone, and they were amazing for that. You're right, they sound very familiar.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i have an older greenback in a 12w amp and i freakin love it, and everyone else that plays the amp loves it too. the g12m isnt a perfect speaker but it is a fantastic speaker for playing live. it doesnt have a lot of bottom or sparkly high end. a local sound guy says that amp is his favorite and i think a lot of it has to do with the speaker

Comment

I just put a pair of greenbacks in an Avatar modern cabinet and that cab really adds to the low end and lower mids of the greenbacks. It really surprised me to hear that much of a shift.

My vote is pretty much always for greenbacks, unless you're doing metal.

Comment

I read (don't remember where) that greenbacks were designed for a multi-speaker closed back cabinet. So it seems to reflect opinions here.

Comment

I'd take a Greenback over any of the Red Coat Eminences any day of the week. Especially the Man O War. That particular speaker seems like all the bad things about the T-75 it's based on (fizzy highs and hollow mids) and none of the good things (big and tight bottom-end). Haven't had good results with any of the Celestion-wannabe Eminences, TBH. They never quite get the mids right, especially under the mic.

I don't find Greenbacks lack bottom-end, personally. I've had both Chinese Classic Greenbacks in my Marshall cab as well as Brittish Heritage Greenbacks, and both of them had more bottom-end than the V30's I had them mixed with. But yeah, Greenbacks shine in multi-speaker cabs with closed backs. Then again, Vox amps do just fine with Greenbacks and open backs.
                Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM.

Comment

2 Greenbacks would be my first choice. My main cab for years was an early 60’s Fender 2x12 with mid 80’s Greenies, best sounding cab Ive owned

I really like the ManOwar but I haven’t been able to use it with the band yet. I have it mixed with the Greenback in my Bassbreaker and they sound really good together. I grabbed my Orange DT from my rehearsal space to see how it is with 1x12 Manowar today so I’ll try and share some feedback once I mess with it.
                  Last edited by Wattage; 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I have a closed back vertical 2x12, Greenback on the top V30 on the bottom.
                    Love it.

Comment

I like Greenbacks for classic rock and metal. But for death metal, I just don't find them tight enough or deep enough. So, I suppose that's an endorsement of sorts. I think the same about the Vintage 30. The K-100 is a different story. Or better, the EV-12L.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

In my limited testing yesterday I found the Manowar a little abrasive on the top end (it is in an Egnater 1x12 cab 112X). The Dual Terror only has a tone knob so full on tweaking isn't happening but dialing back the tone knob to about noon made a big difference. I didn't really dig the clean sounds I was getting but mid to full on overdrive were pretty good.

I'll probably hook up my 5150 this weekend to check it out.
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                        X