No announcement yet.

Current DAW and interfaces compared to my stuff from like ten years or so ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current DAW and interfaces compared to my stuff from like ten years or so ago

What I've used most of my home recording life on the computer is Sonar 5 with a Tascam FW 1804 Firewire interface. It's always been fine for what I do, except the computer is nearly 20 years old, is slow as hell, blue screens, crashes, etc. No problem, just got an Acer with SSD 512GB hard drive, 8 gig ram, i5 processor. Good enough for what I do. The problem is that I don't know if Sonar 5 will work with Windows 10 and my Firewire interface is...well...obsolete.

Was thinking of getting a PreSonus - AudioBox iTwo Recording System which comes with Studio One Artist. My question is that this seems like low end stuff, but how would it compare to my current, what USED to be high end recording gear. We all know that current cheap stuff can actually be better than old time top of the line stuff, lol. Opinions? Cash is tight, so $160 doesn't seem bad at all if it can be equal to or better than what I have currently, which only works with Windows XP.

If you listen to my songs linked below, you'll see that the heaviest I do is your typical effects, and midi recording so the recorded performance drives the outboard synth...unless the synths in the Studio One are as good or better.
    My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
    or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
    http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
    700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Re: Current DAW and interfaces compared to my stuff from like ten years or so ago

I would consider Waveform Free, which is an excellent (free) DAW with few limitations.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Re: Current DAW and interfaces compared to my stuff from like ten years or so ago

Cakewalk is now free, and that is also a full fledged DAW and also includes Melodyne. Add the Blue Cat Audio free plugin suite and you have everything you need for tracking, editing, and mixing. The only paid add-on I am using on my PC with Cakewalk right now is Composer Cloud from EasWest for orchestral samples.

Functionally, a DAW will be the same as a standalone hardware recorder. On the plus side, you will benefit from a better graphic interface and more powerful tools. On the minus side, you need an interface to convert your signal to digital if you're going to be recording real instruments. Resist the urge to pile up on plugins, but having a few soft synth options can be useful. Simple EQ, compression, and reverb are all you need for 99% of recording and mixing work.
      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-02-2020, 09:56 AM.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Holy Smokes, so Sonar is now called Bandlab...and the version for free is better than my Sonar 5 Producer which cost a few hundred bucks way back when, lol. See what I meant? I currently have an M-Audio USB interface so I'll see how that works with Cakewalk. It's over where we rehearse and with everything going on, I don't see me getting there for awhile. I guess I have to decide if the M Audio MTrack that I already have would be as good as the PreSonus I was considering buying. I just wish I could use my Firewire interface because it was perfect. If the old computer wasn't acting like it was on its way out, this wouldn't be an issue. But it happens.
        My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
        or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
        http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
        700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
        X