View Poll Results: What small tube-amp head should the Dali consider?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Egnater Tweaker 15

    5 21.74%
  • Bugera T5

    1 4.35%
  • Marshall Origin 20-watt

    5 21.74%
  • Marshall Class 5

    0 0%
  • Blackstar HT5RH

    2 8.70%
  • Fender Bluesbreaker

    3 13.04%
  • Fender SuperChamp 15

    2 8.70%
  • JJetCity Picovalve 5

    2 8.70%
  • VHT special 6

    1 4.35%
  • Something else

    6 26.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36

Thread: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

  1. #21
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    26,047

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dali View Post
    Of course, that doesn't mean he is wrong, either... LOL

    I got my hands on the Tweaker combo this weekend from a friend (after fully sanitizing it, of course) and so far I am underwhelmed.

    To start, I thought it would be WAAAAYYYYY louder. Everything I read on the net talks about how even a 5-watt tube amp can get fairly loud, and this one is 15-watts. It just isn't as loud as I expected. On top of that, you kinda need to crank it up to get a decent sound. Anything under 50% is almost not even audible.

    There is a lot of fiddling needed to get a "good" sound. I knew this going in (it IS called the Tweaker, after all) so I guess I just need to better understand how this works. I am used to dialing in a sound in 2 seconds on a digital amp, so that is probably my lack of experience.

    I only have about two hours into it so far, so things can change. It is well-made and looks so cool and boutique-y.
    I think you describe the issue I have with most low wattage amps. They aren't loud, but they also can't get the sound of their louder brethren. This, to me, is where many digital amps shine.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  2. #22
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by Wattage View Post
    Tweakers run ridiculous plate voltage. If you get one find a set of old RCA grey plates
    Thanks, but I don't know what this means? Are you taking different tubes, or other hardware? thx!
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  3. #23
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by Diego View Post
    Mine took me months to get a good sound from. And since it's your first tube amp, well... it's a learning curve.
    Have some patience. The Tweaker has a very gentle MV, until 12 o clock it's very quiet and past 12 it's loud as hell.
    Thanks - I think you are probably right and my lack of experience is getting in my way!
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  4. #24
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Interesting... I was not aware that tubes need time to warm up for proper sound. I gave the head like 1 minute to get glowing and then jammed... and I think that colored my view. This head seems to need a good 10 minutes to get warm before it sounds good. A huge difference after this gets warm. I guess some more of my inexperience with tube amps.
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  5. #25
    Mojo's Minions Diego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,253

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dali View Post
    Interesting... I was not aware that tubes need time to warm up for proper sound. I gave the head like 1 minute to get glowing and then jammed... and I think that colored my view. This head seems to need a good 10 minutes to get warm before it sounds good. A huge difference after this gets warm. I guess some more of my inexperience with tube amps.
    Good to know, and yes it does.

    Also, you reminded me that I once tried a Tweaker 15 head through it's stock cabinet and was very unimpressed. Not as loud and very soft and sweet sounding, not aggressive at all.
    Great for cleans, old school overdriven tones and not much else.

    That same head through my closed back DIY cabinet sounds way louder and more aggressive as well. So there you go. Try using the clean channel, diming the gain and using your favorite OD pedal in the front. That's how I use it.
    Keep playing with it feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific doubts!
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

    Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

  6. #26
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Hi everyone... I've been living with the Egnater head and cab and it has grown on me... once I realized that I had to let the tubes warm up it sounded really nice. I think at this point I'm going to keep it since my buddy doesn't have a need for it (and he's a gigging musician so he can use the money right now). I appreciate everyone's input!
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  7. #27
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Ok, spoke too soon. After playing for the last 10 hours over two days I'm finding it more and more difficult to live with... LOL. The amp has to be CRANKED to really hear it... anything less than 12 o'clock and its like just playing my electric unplugged. The clean channel sounds dark to me, and it always wants to break up. It could be just that I'm so used to solid state that I don't understand how to play a tube amp. When I turn everything up to 4 o'clock the thing sings, but then its way too loud for my basement. That might be just the by-product of a tube amp - and if so I might be better suited for a soild state head and run pedals...
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  8. #28
    Ultimate Tone Slacker TMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Extolling the virtues of shower radios.
    Posts
    1,520

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Boss Katana head?

  9. #29
    Administrator Mincer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay area, Florida, USA
    Posts
    26,047

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dali View Post
    Ok, spoke too soon. After playing for the last 10 hours over two days I'm finding it more and more difficult to live with... LOL. The amp has to be CRANKED to really hear it... anything less than 12 o'clock and its like just playing my electric unplugged. The clean channel sounds dark to me, and it always wants to break up. It could be just that I'm so used to solid state that I don't understand how to play a tube amp. When I turn everything up to 4 o'clock the thing sings, but then its way too loud for my basement. That might be just the by-product of a tube amp - and if so I might be better suited for a soild state head and run pedals...
    I was thinking that most small tube amps (less than 5 watts) this is the case. This is an instance where SS or modeling does it so much better, I think.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

    My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

    Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

  10. #30
    MeltedClockologist The Dali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NE of the Evil Empire
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,186

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    I was thinking that most small tube amps (less than 5 watts) this is the case. This is an instance where SS or modeling does it so much better, I think.
    I think you may be right... this is a great learning experience for me for sure!!!
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

    Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

  11. #31
    Mojo's Minions Diego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Santiago, Chile
    Age
    35
    Posts
    8,253

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Try running the gain very very low, around 9 o clock or even lower, then taking the master around 2 o' clock.
    That opens up the power section nicely.

    It's a different sound than running the preamp hotter and keeping the MV low. It's a different tone and you might like it better. It also responds to dirt pedals differently.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

    Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

  12. #32
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    I realize this thread is a few days old, but I'd like to add a plug in favor of the Tweaker.

    I have the 15-watt Tweaker head running through a homemade 1x12 cabinet. It has selectable tone stacks that are more-or-less marketed as "Fender", "Vox", and "Marshall". Now, these definitely do not sound exactly like what they're purported to (although I think you might fool someone with the "Fender" setting under the right conditions), but if you instead think of them more as, "great, usable tones in the style of some famous amplifier lines," you'll be a lot more satisfied.

    I think it sounds great; I do not have trouble fighting with my drummer or bassist to be heard. I mainly play Strattish stuff through it at that edge-of-breakup transition between glassy and crunchy, which is where I think it shines, but you can switch to a humbucker, dime both preamp and master volume gains, flip the switch to "BRIT", and get a nice roar out of it, too. I will agree with Diego that it sounds best when you crank up the master volume and make those output tubes work. Also, I always have the "HOT/CLEAN" switch set to "HOT", even when I'm playing at my cleanest.

    A tangent about modeling devices:

    I think amp modelers sound great when recording, but I've never quite warmed up to playing live with them. Even modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider always kind of make me feel like my amp is miked up in the next room, and I'm listening to it through monitors. Even cranked up, they just feel like loud monitors--there's some lack of immediacy that more feels off than sounds off to me.

  13. #33
    A Ficus ehdwuld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    South Alabama
    Posts
    10,992

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by d2718 View Post
    I realize this thread is a few days old, but I'd like to add a plug in favor of the Tweaker.

    I have the 15-watt Tweaker head running through a homemade 1x12 cabinet. It has selectable tone stacks that are more-or-less marketed as "Fender", "Vox", and "Marshall". Now, these definitely do not sound exactly like what they're purported to (although I think you might fool someone with the "Fender" setting under the right conditions), but if you instead think of them more as, "great, usable tones in the style of some famous amplifier lines," you'll be a lot more satisfied.

    I think it sounds great; I do not have trouble fighting with my drummer or bassist to be heard. I mainly play Strattish stuff through it at that edge-of-breakup transition between glassy and crunchy, which is where I think it shines, but you can switch to a humbucker, dime both preamp and master volume gains, flip the switch to "BRIT", and get a nice roar out of it, too. I will agree with Diego that it sounds best when you crank up the master volume and make those output tubes work. Also, I always have the "HOT/CLEAN" switch set to "HOT", even when I'm playing at my cleanest.

    A tangent about modeling devices:

    I think amp modelers sound great when recording, but I've never quite warmed up to playing live with them. Even modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider always kind of make me feel like my amp is miked up in the next room, and I'm listening to it through monitors. Even cranked up, they just feel like loud monitors--there's some lack of immediacy that more feels off than sounds off to me.
    for me
    my Solid State amps sound great
    the Modelers sound the same at low volume as at high
    the tube amps have that unnerving terrifying sound at loud volume that makes you think something bad is about to happen
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

  14. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    the tube amps have that unnerving terrifying sound at loud volume that makes you think something bad is about to happen
    That's the sound of rock and roll, baby.

  15. #35
    Ultimate Tone Slacker NoOnesFang13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,826

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    I think the argument of the Tweaker not doing anything well is pretty narrow minded. If you want the sound of another amp then buy that other amp or one based on it. If you want to be able to make your OWN tone and not try to sound exactly like something else, that's where it really shines. I personally have never wanted to sound like someone else and that's why i love the Tweaker. IMO it sounds great on its own, but in my main setup im running a pedalboard with 3 fuzzes, 2 overdrives, compression, modulation, delay, and with a 60's Alamo Embassy as a second amp in a more or less wet dry setup. I dont have a problem running it by itself though. That all being said i also have a Tweaker 40 so i dont have the volume problem/experience.

    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Posts
    41

    Default Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

    Quote Originally Posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
    I think the argument of the Tweaker not doing anything well is pretty narrow minded. If you want the sound of another amp then buy that other amp or one based on it. If you want to be able to make your OWN tone and not try to sound exactly like something else, that's where it really shines.
    I realize this may not carry weight with those of you who don't like tofu, but remember that it's coming from someone who does: I like to think of the Tweaker as like tofu or TVP or seitan or whatever. You've eaten beef in your stir-fry all your life, but your doctor says you need to cut down on red meat, so you order tofu the next time you're at Twisted Noodle. You're thinking of tofu as being a beef substitute, so when you bite down on it, you're terribly disappointed. If, instead, you think of it as just another way to fill the protein role in your meal, and aren't expecting meat, you'll get on with it a lot better. It might even have qualities that beef doesn't have that you find yourself liking.

    ...That all being said i also have a Tweaker 40 so i dont have the volume problem/experience.
    I think if I played in a band with another guitarist who was forward and aggressive, or a heavy band where the drummer used a double kick or did a lot of ostinatoing on the crash, I would find the Tweaker 15 underpowered. As it is, I am in neither of those situations, and it's pretty much the perfect volume; I can crank those power tubes plenty without getting dirty looks from my bandmates or sound guys.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •