VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

I realize this thread is a few days old, but I'd like to add a plug in favor of the Tweaker.

I have the 15-watt Tweaker head running through a homemade 1x12 cabinet. It has selectable tone stacks that are more-or-less marketed as "Fender", "Vox", and "Marshall". Now, these definitely do not sound exactly like what they're purported to (although I think you might fool someone with the "Fender" setting under the right conditions), but if you instead think of them more as, "great, usable tones in the style of some famous amplifier lines," you'll be a lot more satisfied.

I think it sounds great; I do not have trouble fighting with my drummer or bassist to be heard. I mainly play Strattish stuff through it at that edge-of-breakup transition between glassy and crunchy, which is where I think it shines, but you can switch to a humbucker, dime both preamp and master volume gains, flip the switch to "BRIT", and get a nice roar out of it, too. I will agree with Diego that it sounds best when you crank up the master volume and make those output tubes work. Also, I always have the "HOT/CLEAN" switch set to "HOT", even when I'm playing at my cleanest.

A tangent about modeling devices:

I think amp modelers sound great when recording, but I've never quite warmed up to playing live with them. Even modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider always kind of make me feel like my amp is miked up in the next room, and I'm listening to it through monitors. Even cranked up, they just feel like loud monitors--there's some lack of immediacy that more feels off than sounds off to me.

Comment

Originally posted by d2718 View Post
      I realize this thread is a few days old, but I'd like to add a plug in favor of the Tweaker.

I have the 15-watt Tweaker head running through a homemade 1x12 cabinet. It has selectable tone stacks that are more-or-less marketed as "Fender", "Vox", and "Marshall". Now, these definitely do not sound exactly like what they're purported to (although I think you might fool someone with the "Fender" setting under the right conditions), but if you instead think of them more as, "great, usable tones in the style of some famous amplifier lines," you'll be a lot more satisfied.

I think it sounds great; I do not have trouble fighting with my drummer or bassist to be heard. I mainly play Strattish stuff through it at that edge-of-breakup transition between glassy and crunchy, which is where I think it shines, but you can switch to a humbucker, dime both preamp and master volume gains, flip the switch to "BRIT", and get a nice roar out of it, too. I will agree with Diego that it sounds best when you crank up the master volume and make those output tubes work. Also, I always have the "HOT/CLEAN" switch set to "HOT", even when I'm playing at my cleanest.

A tangent about modeling devices:

I think amp modelers sound great when recording, but I've never quite warmed up to playing live with them. Even modeling amps like the Line 6 Spider always kind of make me feel like my amp is miked up in the next room, and I'm listening to it through monitors. Even cranked up, they just feel like loud monitors--there's some lack of immediacy that more feels off than sounds off to me.
      for me
      my Solid State amps sound great
      the Modelers sound the same at low volume as at high
      the tube amps have that unnerving terrifying sound at loud volume that makes you think something bad is about to happen
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        the tube amps have that unnerving terrifying sound at loud volume that makes you think something bad is about to happen
        That's the sound of rock and roll, baby.

Comment

I think the argument of the Tweaker not doing anything well is pretty narrow minded. If you want the sound of another amp then buy that other amp or one based on it. If you want to be able to make your OWN tone and not try to sound exactly like something else, that's where it really shines. I personally have never wanted to sound like someone else and that's why i love the Tweaker. IMO it sounds great on its own, but in my main setup im running a pedalboard with 3 fuzzes, 2 overdrives, compression, modulation, delay, and with a 60's Alamo Embassy as a second amp in a more or less wet dry setup. I dont have a problem running it by itself though. That all being said i also have a Tweaker 40 so i dont have the volume problem/experience.
          sigpic
          Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
          Dunlop Crybaby
          MXR Custom Comp
          GFS Twin Overdrive
          Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
          Blackstar HT-DISTX
          Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by NoOnesFang13 View Post
            I think the argument of the Tweaker not doing anything well is pretty narrow minded. If you want the sound of another amp then buy that other amp or one based on it. If you want to be able to make your OWN tone and not try to sound exactly like something else, that's where it really shines.
            I realize this may not carry weight with those of you who don't like tofu, but remember that it's coming from someone who does: I like to think of the Tweaker as like tofu or TVP or seitan or whatever. You've eaten beef in your stir-fry all your life, but your doctor says you need to cut down on red meat, so you order tofu the next time you're at Twisted Noodle. You're thinking of tofu as being a beef substitute, so when you bite down on it, you're terribly disappointed. If, instead, you think of it as just another way to fill the protein role in your meal, and aren't expecting meat, you'll get on with it a lot better. It might even have qualities that beef doesn't have that you find yourself liking.

...That all being said i also have a Tweaker 40 so i dont have the volume problem/experience.
            I think if I played in a band with another guitarist who was forward and aggressive, or a heavy band where the drummer used a double kick or did a lot of ostinatoing on the crash, I would find the Tweaker 15 underpowered. As it is, I am in neither of those situations, and it's pretty much the perfect volume; I can crank those power tubes plenty without getting dirty looks from my bandmates or sound guys.

Comment

Working...
            X