VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VOTE!!! Small 5 - 20w Tube Head for the Dali

The Marshall "studio" amps (Studio Vintage 20, Studio Classic 20, and 20 watt Silver Jubilee) seem like they were made exactly for the OP, aside from being well above $300. Might be a better idea to save up and buy one of those when you can.

Comment

I love my Tweaker 15 head, I bought it in 2012 and it's been the only head I've owned in these years. Had it with an open back 1x12 first, now with a closed 2x12.

It doesn't excel at any specific tone, but it does a bit of everything quite convincingly. It's quite literally a tube modeling amp of sorts so it's a good first tube amp,
      but if you're already experienced and you know what you want, you can do better these days. Also, the FX loop sucks with analog pedals and it sounds like a wet dog unless you really gun it.

Why would you consider an Origin and not a DSL20 head if you want 80s Metal? Not gonna happen with the Origin I think.
      IMO, skip the Class 5, Bugera and VHT. Those were the other choices I had when I bought the Egnater.

Given those choices, I'd go with the Bluesbreaker if I was you.
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        The fact that the leading vote is a Chinese Egnater amp that does nothing well is a perfect example of how out-of-touch and old this forum is.
        Of course, that doesn't mean he is wrong, either... LOL

I got my hands on the Tweaker combo this weekend from a friend (after fully sanitizing it, of course) and so far I am underwhelmed.

To start, I thought it would be WAAAAYYYYY louder. Everything I read on the net talks about how even a 5-watt tube amp can get fairly loud, and this one is 15-watts. It just isn't as loud as I expected. On top of that, you kinda need to crank it up to get a decent sound. Anything under 50% is almost not even audible.

There is a lot of fiddling needed to get a "good" sound. I knew this going in (it IS called the Tweaker, after all) so I guess I just need to better understand how this works. I am used to dialing in a sound in 2 seconds on a digital amp, so that is probably my lack of experience.

I only have about two hours into it so far, so things can change. It is well-made and looks so cool and boutique-y.
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post

I got my hands on the Tweaker combo this weekend from a friend (after fully sanitizing it, of course) and so far I am underwhelmed.

To start, I thought it would be WAAAAYYYYY louder. Everything I read on the net talks about how even a 5-watt tube amp can get fairly loud, and this one is 15-watts. It just isn't as loud as I expected. On top of that, you kinda need to crank it up to get a decent sound. Anything under 50% is almost not even audible.

There is a lot of fiddling needed to get a "good" sound. I knew this going in (it IS called the Tweaker, after all) so I guess I just need to better understand how this works. I am used to dialing in a sound in 2 seconds on a digital amp, so that is probably my lack of experience.

I only have about two hours into it so far, so things can change. It is well-made and looks so cool and boutique-y.
          Mine took me months to get a good sound from. And since it's your first tube amp, well... it's a learning curve.
          Have some patience. The Tweaker has a very gentle MV, until 12 o clock it's very quiet and past 12 it's loud as hell.

Comment

Tweakers run ridiculous plate voltage. If you get one find a set of old RCA grey plates
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I think you describe the issue I have with most low wattage amps. They aren't loud, but they also can't get the sound of their louder brethren. This, to me, is where many digital amps shine.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
                Tweakers run ridiculous plate voltage. If you get one find a set of old RCA grey plates
                Thanks, but I don't know what this means? Are you taking different tubes, or other hardware? thx!
                -=The Dali

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                  Mine took me months to get a good sound from. And since it's your first tube amp, well... it's a learning curve.
                  Have some patience. The Tweaker has a very gentle MV, until 12 o clock it's very quiet and past 12 it's loud as hell.
                  Thanks - I think you are probably right and my lack of experience is getting in my way!
                  -=The Dali

Comment

Interesting... I was not aware that tubes need time to warm up for proper sound. I gave the head like 1 minute to get glowing and then jammed... and I think that colored my view. This head seems to need a good 10 minutes to get warm before it sounds good. A huge difference after this gets warm. I guess some more of my inexperience with tube amps.
                    -=The Dali

Comment

Interesting... I was not aware that tubes need time to warm up for proper sound. I gave the head like 1 minute to get glowing and then jammed... and I think that colored my view. This head seems to need a good 10 minutes to get warm before it sounds good. A huge difference after this gets warm. I guess some more of my inexperience with tube amps.
                      Good to know, and yes it does.

Also, you reminded me that I once tried a Tweaker 15 head through it's stock cabinet and was very unimpressed. Not as loud and very soft and sweet sounding, not aggressive at all.
                      Great for cleans, old school overdriven tones and not much else.

That same head through my closed back DIY cabinet sounds way louder and more aggressive as well. So there you go. Try using the clean channel, diming the gain and using your favorite OD pedal in the front. That's how I use it.
                      Keep playing with it feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific doubts!

Comment

Hi everyone... I've been living with the Egnater head and cab and it has grown on me... once I realized that I had to let the tubes warm up it sounded really nice. I think at this point I'm going to keep it since my buddy doesn't have a need for it (and he's a gigging musician so he can use the money right now). I appreciate everyone's input!
                        -=The Dali

Comment

Ok, spoke too soon. After playing for the last 10 hours over two days I'm finding it more and more difficult to live with... LOL. The amp has to be CRANKED to really hear it... anything less than 12 o'clock and its like just playing my electric unplugged. The clean channel sounds dark to me, and it always wants to break up. It could be just that I'm so used to solid state that I don't understand how to play a tube amp. When I turn everything up to 4 o'clock the thing sings, but then its way too loud for my basement. That might be just the by-product of a tube amp - and if so I might be better suited for a soild state head and run pedals...
                          -=The Dali

Comment

Ok, spoke too soon. After playing for the last 10 hours over two days I'm finding it more and more difficult to live with... LOL. The amp has to be CRANKED to really hear it... anything less than 12 o'clock and its like just playing my electric unplugged. The clean channel sounds dark to me, and it always wants to break up. It could be just that I'm so used to solid state that I don't understand how to play a tube amp. When I turn everything up to 4 o'clock the thing sings, but then its way too loud for my basement. That might be just the by-product of a tube amp - and if so I might be better suited for a soild state head and run pedals...
                            I was thinking that most small tube amps (less than 5 watts) this is the case. This is an instance where SS or modeling does it so much better, I think.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I was thinking that most small tube amps (less than 5 watts) this is the case. This is an instance where SS or modeling does it so much better, I think.
                              I think you may be right... this is a great learning experience for me for sure!!!
                              -=The Dali

Comment

Try running the gain very very low, around 9 o clock or even lower, then taking the master around 2 o' clock.
                                That opens up the power section nicely.

It's a different sound than running the preamp hotter and keeping the MV low. It's a different tone and you might like it better. It also responds to dirt pedals differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X