AxeTrak Pro ISO cab or similar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AxeTrak Pro ISO cab or similar

In @Ascension 's thread about which head to ditch, he mentioned this iso cab and it got me thinking,

Very curious to hear about anyone's experience with this or similar solutions.

I have been running my head into a Palmer PGA-04 speaker sim which has been great as a load box and temp solution for the last few years, it's ok but the unit is starting to get a little fizzy and crackly on the high end, even on cleans, which I think is a sign it's dying. The signal doesn't do this through a regular speaker.

I've thought about other speaker sims like Torpedo, UA Ox, and I've even rented a Line6 Helix LT to play around with to see if I want to avoid real amps altogether (not convinced I want to go full modeler).

I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum, so I'm focusing specifically on ISO cabinets or any other thoughts for folks in a similar situation, where you can't turn up your amp/cab at home and do occasional gigs. Would love to invest and nail down something that works long term.

Hit me guys, what advice or suggestions are new for 2020?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: AxeTrak Pro ISO cab or similar

My situation with me being primarily a Worship player demands that I have some type of system that will allow me to run silent stage at times. I HATE modelers have owned a few of them they just don't feel natural period to me. So I need some way to run a tube amp on stage with little stage volume and then get a sold signal to the FOH.
    Most of the Loadbox DI's at the lower price points song like pure poo! There are exceptions like the Two Notes Captor that are moderately price and do sound good. Get into the units with the IR tec and they sound great but get right pricey quick. On my AX Trac its not bad but no match for one of my real cabs with a mic on them.
    Best advice is set a budget then look at what fits. Don't chep out on these as the really cheap ones really don't sound very good.
    The 2 Note is about the only relatively inexpensive one I can personally recommend but they are still in the $200 range or so used.
    Here is a pretty good demo of the 2 Note Captor.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Here is a clip with my Ax Trac running my Carvin X 50 head.
      Little thin and harsh here but a good sound guy could warm it up and make it sound pretty good.
      Last edited by Ascension; 03-30-2020, 12:00 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

not sure if this is what you mean

but I remember seeing these a while back

EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          not sure if this is what you mean

but I remember seeing these a while back

https://www.jetcityamplification.com/jetstream-iso-ii
          Yes the Randall version was the first one I'd ever heard of years ago, and then saw Ascension's plug for the AxeTrak,

The TwoNotes looks like a good, fairly cheap solution that could fit the bill and let me play with IRs in the box. I think I'm in the camp that there's no substitute for a mic on a cab!

Keep em coming

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

my Jet City 1x12 has a cab emulated XLR out that emulated a mic'd cab
            I compared it to
            the actual mic'd cab
            and the emulated line out of my Bugera G5

and it was like a perfectly mic'd cabinet

but the speaker has to actually make sound for it to work

on the the other side,

my emulated line out on my G5 amp
            sounds nice as well, some of the highs seem to be rolled off a bit
            but you can adjust the amps eq for that
            and if you leave the amp in standby, it is dead silent in the room
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The little Ax Trac is pretty cool and is super small and easy to grab and go with. For those who have never see one here is a decent demo and a plus here because the guy is running one of my old friend Sam Timberlake's Sam amps.
              Last edited by Ascension; 03-30-2020, 08:26 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

Ran the AX Track under the MT 15 to do a Psalm Sunday livestream set with an old friend at a local church. With a decent sound guy on the board this time it actually sounded pretty good!
                Here is a clip
                Last edited by Ascension; 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM.
                Guitars

Comment

Demeter makes a great iso cab. I know 'cause I've had one for ages. It's big, heavy, kinda pricey but it's well built and works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                    Demeter makes a great iso cab. I know 'cause I've had one for ages. It's big, heavy, kinda pricey but it's well built and works really well.
                    Several make great larger iso cabs. My situation is different as I do a lot of work in Churches playing modern worship and need a true silent stage set up that is small easy to set up and lightweight. The Ax Track for that is a great little tool. Does it sound as good as my normal cabs miced no but lets face it most church sound folk aren't the brightest bulbs in the array and the FOH sound at most churches isn't great. There are some exceptions but for my situation this tiny little cab is a great solution. Will get a photo of the entire set up at practice this week as with the MT 15 and the AX Track this is a super light and compact grab and go rig that really sounds pretty good if you have a competent sound guy on the board!
                    Guitars

Comment

Working...
                    X