Full Shred x Parallel Axis PATB-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full Shred x Parallel Axis PATB-1

Hi guys, I have a Kramer Pacer with mahogany body and I'm thinking about changing my pickups.
    I always felt that the stock pickups sounded a bit weak and they lack some sustain and definition, but there's one thing that I always liked about them, the overall feel and sound of the Alnico 5 magnets. Even that the pickups are weak, I like the warmer and fuller sound of them, something that i didn't found in the Ceramic pickups that I've played.

So, I did some research about pickups and I found 2 great options, but I'm not sure about which one, the Full Shred or the Paralell Axis Original.

I play mostly Hard Rock and Heavy Metal, but i also play some Pop Rock, Alternative Rock, Blues... So I'm looking for a versatile combo, that can cover these styles and give some articulation, a warmer and defined sound! For the neck which one of them do you guys would recommend? I prefer a more singing pickup for solos, and for the cleans a brighter sound, so I don't want a bassy or muddy pickup!

Could you guys help with some experiences? Thanks a lot!

Re: Full Shred x Parallel Axis PATB-1

Warmer, more defined sound with nice cleans and singing lead tone = PATB-1 all the way

The Full Shred isn't brittle or thin sounding, but it's a bit stiff and precise and lacks some bottom end. I wouldn't consider it "warm" really.

The PATB-1, on the other hand, was originally designed to add some warmth to longer-scale, trem-equipped guitars and works well in a guitar like you described. Plus, if you like the "feel" of A5, you'll probably really enjoy the response of the Parallel Axis design

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Well, i had a lot of doubt about these pickups, especially about the output. Does the PATB-1 handles well with some low gain, and crunchy tones? I mean, he's not too hot for some sounds like alternative rock, pop rock? And about the neck, I read a lot of people talking some good things about the neck version of Full Shred, most describe it as a "singing" pickup. Do you know about the neck PATB-1? It has a clear clean to tone and clarity and this "singing" quality to it's sound?

I appreciate your experience and your tips, thank you!

Comment

Parallel Axis I haven't tried but heard good things.

Had a Full Shred and didn't like it for the same reasons you described.

If you want to stick to Alnico 5, I highly recommend you check out the Custom 5 (SH-14). It's pretty balanced between low end and highs. A bit scooped but nowhere near what most claim. What it has in spades is clarity and note definition.

--------------------------------------------------------------
        '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
        Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12
        --------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

I used to really love the full shred....It sounds great in some applications however, its very wood and electronics dependent. Full Shred with 500k pots sounds great in Alder however with a 500k pot and a no-load tone pot, its WAY too bright. It suffers from very lite low end and sort of what i call this "cough" like undertone when chugging. It CAN benefit from adding a row of fillister screws on the rear coil (towards bridge) which does beef up the low end a bit.

PATB1 I have never had bad luck with. It pretty scooped and sounds alot like a Custom 5 however, it has great harmonics and a bit more low end than the Custom 5. I have it in a few guitars.
          Charvel, Kramer, Gibson, Fender, MIJ/US Epiphone, BC Rich
          Full Shred, Distortion, JB, Custom (Custom), Screamin' Demon, Cool Rails, Alternative 8, Mini Humbucker, Lil 59, 59, APH-1, Black Winter, Silverbird, SP90, PATB1,2,3, YJM, 59/custom hybrid, SSL-1 AH1BJ, Jazz, Antiquity JB/Jazz, Alpha/Omega

Comment

For a guitar with mahogany body, the Custom 5 can handle well some heavy metal (Metallica, Queensryche, Megadeth) and hard rock (Van Halen, GNR, Whitesnake)? I mean, not too bassy, or too scooped? Because if not, it is a good option for me!
            Thank you.

Comment

Nice to know these issues about the Full Shred. I also had considered JB as an option, but i don't know how well it can stick with mahogany body. There's a lot of divergency out there about JB and Mahogany. And about your guitars with the PATB-1s, does it have the PATB-1 combo? Brigde and Neck? If so, how is the sound of the parallel axis in the neck? Good clean sound and soloing ? Thank you!

Comment

For the neck you say? Well I have not tried the PATB-1 neck but I do have Full Shred neck and it is such a nice pickup, very articulated and is really great for soloing, bright enough to be also a nice rhythm pickup for cleans and mild overdrive. Depending on your taste it may be a little too bright but you can always turn the tone a notch or two. When I play alone at home that high end may sound like too much but when I play with the band it really sounds nice to me. I currently pair it a Duncan Distortion in the bridge, this is maximum versatility, I play some Dire Straits, blues, classic rock, even metal all with a single guitar. It may not be 100% the same tone for each genre but close enough to me.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

I own both pickups, the FS in a poplar body Jackson Dinky, and a PATB1 HSH set in a basswood Ibanez RG.

For warmth, definitely the PATB.

In the neck to my ears the PATB1n sounds like a mix of the 59 and the Jazz. No boomy low end, not as scooped as the 59, but with defined mids and clear, not overbearing highs.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I think i will stick with the full shred in the neck! It is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Comment

Do you know if there is any problem with putting these trembuckers in a guitar with regular spaced pickups? I don't know if there is a regular version of PATB-1, i didn't find it.
                      Because it seems that PATB-1 is what I'm looking for haha, a versatile pickup and more warmth and clear, so if there isn't any problems, i will choose them. Thank you!

Comment

The "TB" in PATB stands for "TremBucker"...they are only available in the wider spacing. That said, they should work fine in a regular-spaced guitar. In fact, there's a good chance your actual bridge is closer to trem-spaced anyway.

Comment

So, I thought that my guitar had a trembucker because it has a Floyd Rose (but it is non-recessed, without that extra cavity or space). I sent an email to Kramer and they told me that my guitar has regular spaced humbucker, and now I don't know if I can put these PATBs without major issues. Is there any way to know if i wouldn't face any issues if I install the PATB? Thanks.

Comment

I don't think you will have 'major issues' at all. Here are the specs for a regular humbucker. These are the specs for a Trembucker.
                            Higher power humbuckers will sense the strings just fine no matter if they pass over the poles directly or not.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Check if the specs Mincer provided you make the PATB1mfit your axe. Depending on the finish, you may try widening the bridge pickup area, as long as it doesn't mess with the neck dimensions.

The PATB series are a dream to a OCD pacient like me, since they match trem dimensions perfectly, with strings aligning perfectly inside the vertical poles.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170601_210820.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	5818830
                              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Working...
                              X