Trembucker in the neck.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trembucker in the neck.

I have a strat that I have modded the crap outta.
    I have the invader in the bridge pos. And I want to put a trembucker in the neck. Is there anyone out there that has ever tried a bridge pick up in the neck?. I figure the lower out put from the trembucker may be a good balance.
    Last edited by Jayjamz; 03-29-2020, 04:45 PM.

Re: Trembucker in the neck.

people put bridge pups in the neck frequently. depending on what one you choose it could work very well

Comment

"Trembucker" means the poles are farther apart. For heck position you probably want a regular spaced bridge humbucker. The strings will align with the screws & slugs better.

But yeah, plenty of "bridge" humbuckers work fine in the neck position.

Comment

I don't see an issue with it, unless it was a very low output pickup and the strings completely miss the poles. Then you *might* notice a volume difference between the balance of the strings. But most likely not.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah but it IS a strat with a tremelo. So the difference shouldn't be too much should it.?

Comment

Trembuckers are just a little wider, and in theory, lower in output compared to their comparable hum-spaced models, but it's so little it's not worth considering. This is because they have slightly higher resistance at the same number of turns, due to having more wire per turn on the slightly longer bobbins.

Pole spacing doesn't much matter anyhow; pickups work just fine with either spacing in either position, with the main differences being visual.

Many trem spaced pickups are no more ill matched to the strings at the neck position than are regular spaced pickups. In fact, some might fit the neck string spacing better than a regular spaced humbucker, especially when you have a wider nut than the norm. DiMarzio recommends F spaced pickups in the neck position when the string spacing calls for it. (That said, DiMarzio F spacing – and regular spacing – are just a little narrower than most companies' equivalent spacings).

Regular spaced bridge position humbuckers are a bad fit to string spacing in most modern Gibsons. Modern Gibsons ideally have a 2 1/16" pole spacing for the bridge pickups. But you don't see manufacturers pushing, and people rushing to install, Trembuckers and F spaced pickups in the bridges of their LPs and SGs and 335s...and they sound fine even with a pretty bad pole piece alignment with the strings in the bridge position.

In short, don't even think twice about it. Put any pickup in any position, use your ears instead of your eyes, and you almost certainly won't have a complaint.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-29-2020, 09:23 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jayjamz View Post
              Yeah but it IS a strat with a tremelo. So the difference shouldn't be too much should it.?
              Maybe I misunderstood your original question. Do you already have the trembucker you want to use? In that case, go for it.

Comment

Trembuckers are't lower output than SH spaced. They're about the same. If you don't have the pickup already, get sh spaced because it will line up better. Medium or high output bridge hums in the neck are super fat and swampy while vintage and vintage hot will still have some bite.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

Yes.. I own it..

Comment

I'm gonna do it.. I'm just gonna do it.. forever hold the peace unless anyone has any major objections

Comment

I'm looking to match up with the invader. So the trembucker it is..

Comment

Trembuckers were meant to accomodate to the wider string spacing at the bridge on tremolo/vibrato equipped guitars. The pole pieces ("screws") are meant to align and be under each string. If you look at the strings as a triangle with a chopped off apex or better yet an isosceles trapezoid delineated by the bridge, the nut and the two E strings, it makes sense that things are wider apart the closer you get to the base(=the bridge). So sound-wise there is basically no difference between the trembucker and humbucker versions of the same pup model.

Also, since it's not a permanent modification, just go for it. You'll either like it or you won't and who cares what others do? If you like it that way, then it is by all means a perfect setup for you!

Comment

There is no problem using a trembucker in the neck. If your bridge has wider spacing, like vintage Fender spec bridges, then a Trembucker (or tremspaced humbucker) will actually line up perfectly in the neck. Speaking from experience here too.

Comment

Dude! Thank you!.. it's not muddy or "swampy"

Comment

Let us know how this project turns out. It might help other people.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X