Going through a preamp pedal and then into POD X3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going through a preamp pedal and then into POD X3

I have a POD X3 and some Malmsteen style presets use the Plexi and the JM Pre. But the problem with these amps is they are very low gain. I can't get enough drive out of them. Even with the tube screamer the resulting gain is low. So I was thinking why not plug my guitar first into my BB preamp pedal and then into the POD?

Seems to me it would work. It would be just like using hotter pickups.

Whatcha think?

Re: Going through a preamp pedal and then into POD X3

Should work fine.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Well, a preamp pedal is a lot hotter than hot pickups. Slamming the input of an old POD gives some pretty harsh digital clipping. I'd use the software to put a virtual gain pedal before the virtual amp.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Well, a preamp pedal is a lot hotter than hot pickups. Slamming the input of an old POD gives some pretty harsh digital clipping. I'd use the software to put a virtual gain pedal before the virtual amp.
        Even with a tube screamer in front there is not much gain. If there was I wouldn't consider using a preamp pedal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          One can use a pedal without maxing the output on it. I'd bet it's possible to set a nice dirty tone on the pedal into a clean preset on the interface.

Then again, a Tubescreamer is a relatively low gain pedal. Try a virtual Rat or Muff too. Lots of knives in the drawer yknow
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Pedals into this era of Line 6 stuff really doesn’t work for me. Please try it, but don’t buy a pedal for this purpose until you experiment first.

Regardless of what was “modeled” I’d just do the hard thing and use your ears... go through amp models until you find one you like, go through the virtual pedals until you find one you like, and use an EQ to sculpt the final tone to be where you want it to be. Like EP was stating, a muff, rat, etc. will get your more gain. Same with JCM2000 style amps, Marshall flavored but more gain. I like the Orange style model on the POD for a bunch of tones, ones I’d never think to use an Orange to achieve.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
            X