Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

Hey guys, hope everyone is staying sane.

Been wiring everything up since getting my pots and switch a few days ago- I’m more than half way done, but I do have a few questions... on the diagram, do the wires that go to ground get soldered to the back of pots?

Here's what I got so far, looking good I hope:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	eOH5nfz.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	5818693
    Last edited by W201; 04-10-2020, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Ground would be the back of the pots, and the back of each pot should be connected, too.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Perfect. Thank you my dude.

Comment

Finished wiring everything up, this was my first time doing this so I tried soldering everything as neat as possible anticipating that I might screw something up... which I did lol.

I tested the different positions, and I think they're all working, but seems I wired the switch backwards from the diagram. The neck position activates the bridge and vice versa. The switch on the pick guard is flipped 180 degrees compared to the diagram, and I kept that in mind as I wired everything up, but I double checked all the connections.

I can't flip the switch because there's no room. I'm hella confused...any pointres? I'm including a picture of the final wiring hopefully you guys will see something I'm missing.

Name:	0niTNwO.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	5818710

Name:	yN6Fnov.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	5818712
          Last edited by W201; 04-12-2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by W201 View Post
            Finished wiring everything up, this was my first time doing this so I tried soldering everything as neat as possible anticipating that I might screw something up... which I did lol.

I tested the different positions, and I think they're all working, but seems I wired the switch backwards from the diagram. The neck position activates the bridge and vice versa. The switch on the pick guard is flipped 180 degrees compared to the diagram, and I kept that in mind as I wired everything up, but I double checked all the connections.

I can't flip the switch because there's no room. I'm hella confused...any pointres? I'm including a picture of the final wiring hopefully you guys will see something I'm missing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104154[/ATTACH]
            W201,

I wish you had asked prior to doing it, about your plan to wire the switch in flipped position. Some of the wire connections will need to be reworked -they need to be rerouted so Position 1 is Bridge pickup, not Neck pickup, etc. I will work up a modified diagram for you. Won't have a chance to do that until this evening.
            Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
              W201,

I wish you had asked prior to doing it, about your plan to wire the switch in flipped position. Some of the wire connections will need to be reworked -they need to be rerouted so Position 1 is Bridge pickup, not Neck pickup, etc. I will work up a modified diagram for you. Won't have a chance to do that until this evening.
              Jack_TriPpEr,

Honestly, I thought it was a little odd, but the thing is that even though the switch is flipped, it wired everything up exactly as the diagram shows, and figured everything would work out perfectly lol. Sorry man, I'm not an electrician, I just like to play guitar...I'm actually shocked it came out nicer than the last guy who tried it. No rush on the diagram, I appreciate it buddy.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

Honestly, I thought it was a little odd, but the thing is that even though the switch is flipped, it wired everything up exactly as the diagram shows, and figured everything would work out perfectly lol. Sorry man, I'm not an electrician, I just like to play guitar...I'm actually shocked it came out nicer than the last guy who tried it. No rush on the diagram, I appreciate it buddy.
                Squeezed in some time ahead of schedule. Just swap around the two wires that connect to the two lugs circled in Red. That should do it.

[Edit: the results of Position 2 will now be present in Position 4, and vice versa. Not due to the wire swap i just advised you to do, but simply from the switch already being turned around.]

Name:	PicsArt_04-12-12.28.06.jpg
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	5818717

Separately, after that is done, assess if there are any excessive noise issues with the guitar plugged into an amp. If yes, that *might* be coming from the points of exposed bare wire picking up interference at the splice points in your work - like in the pic below. I am not *certain* those splice-points will allow noise to seep in because I don't make connections like that myself. Those connections that look like splice-joints depicted in guitarelectronics.com diagrams are used to convey "functional" purpose - i.e. not necessarily how the two wires would actually be physically joined. If there is noise, you could first try covering the exposed bare wire with electrical tape or heat- shrink. If that doesn't eliminate the noise, you might need to rewire any splice-joints. The method to do that would be, the start of the wire reaches the first lug it is supposed to contact - and then connect a *2nd wire* from that lug to the next lug and so on, so like a daisy-chain... instead of splicing into the first wire. This last method is the best method to wire such connections going forward.

Name:	20200412_110718.jpg
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5818718

By the way, the quality of your solder connections looks quite good for someone doing this for the first time - good job!

Let me know how it goes.
                Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-12-2020, 11:15 AM.
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

I swapped the two wires. I hate to say this because you've been super helpful, but I have other problems. When I plug into an amp and test the different positions I get this:

1. None
                  2. Neck (S) Bridge (N)
                  3. Neck Series
                  4. Neck Series (N sounds louder than S)
                  5. Correct.

I'll go through and check all the connections again make sure I didn't miss anything.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

I swapped the two wires. I hate to say this because you've been super helpful, but I have other problems. When I plug into an amp and test the different positions I get this:

1. None
                    2. Neck (S) Bridge (N)
                    3. Neck Series
                    4. Neck Series (N sounds louder than S)
                    5. Correct.

I'll go through and check all the connections again make sure I didn't miss anything.
                    Please reply with photos of the wiring connections. This will help to determine if a wire is connected in the wrong place, a lug is missing a connection, a cold solder joint causing signal not to flow, etc.

Particuarly, please ensure all the bridge pickup connections are un-obscured since that is the pickup that seems to have the issue.

Comment

Got it. Stepped out of the house for a minute, but I’ll get some good pictures and post later tonight. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Got it. Stepped out of the house for a minute, but I’ll get some good pictures and post later tonight. Thanks again for your help.
                        No problem.

After thinking about this some more, try this first: check the connection of the Bridge pickup North start wire to the lug its connected to. This is one of the two wires i had you swap around. Since you said prior to the swap that everything worked fine but was just in reverse order, i am thinking that when you moved that wire, there is something off with how it got connected in its new spot. Maybe a cold solder joint.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-12-2020, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Actually I had the same problem with the pickups but in reverse, sorry I should have mentioned that. I knew something else was up other than the positions being reversed. I’ll be home soon and post more info.

Comment

Actually I had the same problem with the pickups but in reverse, sorry I should have mentioned that. I knew something else was up other than the positions being reversed. I’ll be home soon and post more info.
                            Ok. So before you swapped the wires, the positions tha involved the Bridge pickup were having issues? Or, prior to the swap, it had been the Neck pickup that had the issues?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                              Ok. So before you swapped the wires, the positions tha involved the Bridge pickup were having issues? Or, prior to the swap, it had been the Neck pickup that had the issues?
                              I had the issue before the swap... just wasn’t sure if it was an issue related the the switch being revered which is why I didn’t mention it. I think the issue is mainly with the bridge pickup. I would have to swap everything back the way it was to be certain because I didn’t write it down like I did after swapping the wires and testing the poles.

I’m testing all the positions by tapping the poles with a screw driver and listening for an audible pop.

***EDIT***

I found the problem... see on the diagram where the bridge south start and bare wire connect to the tremolo wire? I made that connection but hadn't grounded the wires, so I touched those wires to the back of a pot and tried it and works perfectly!
                              Last edited by W201; 04-12-2020, 07:11 PM.

Comment

***EDIT***

I found the problem... see on the diagram where the bridge south start and bare wire connect to the tremolo wire? I made that connection but hadn't grounded the wires, so I touched those wires to the back of a pot and tried it and works perfectly!
                                Good find! Glad to hear that you're now all set!

Comment

Working...
                                X