Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Good find! Glad to hear that you're now all set!
    Couldn’t have done it without you. Take care!

Comment

Originally posted by W201 View Post
      Couldn’t have done it without you. Take care!
      Thanks much! Glad to help out. Hope you enjoy the guitar!
      Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks man. Anxiously waiting for my DR Pure Blues, can’t wait to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by W201 View Post
          Thanks man. Anxiously waiting for my DR Pure Blues, can’t wait to try it out.
          I hadn't heard of those particular DR strings before - had to look them up on the internet. I use D'addario myself. What have you been using up until now? D'addario? And how did you hear about these DR Pure Blues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200413_110240.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5818733
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I hadn't heard of those particular DR strings before - had to look them up on the internet. I use D'addario myself. What have you been using up until now? D'addario? And how did you hear about these DR Pure Blues?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104180[/ATTACH]
            That’s exactly what I use, 10-46... I’ve used different brands including D’addario. I can’t remember exactly where I heard about Pure Blues, but I’ve been using them for 3 years. I don’t know what it is about them but they sound great, now it’s the only thing I use. Try them out man, I think you’ll like them. I haven’t broken a high e on them ever so that’s a plus.

Comment

This diagram will work for you. It is based on one from GuitarElectronics.com. i tweaked it to include a Tone Control like you wanted, and I added in the labeling on the pickups. It turns out the method in this diagram doesn't even require wiring one of the pickups in that special manner I described. Instead it controls which coil will be active in coilsplit mode by routing the Series link pair from the pickup either to ground (to get the North coil) or to Hot (to get the South coil).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103952[/ATTACH]

Per my earlier reply, depending on where you want the active coils to sit physically, e.g. if you want both inner coils active, you may have to physically rotate one or both of your pickups in their mounting rings. The labeling I added for each coil will make it clear which coils are active in each pickups selector position and where each one currently sits in default/standard humbucker placement (i.e. no rotation).

You didn't mention the brand of your two humbuckers. Following is a wiring color code translation chart for many brands. If your brand is not on the chart, let me know and we can try to find another cross-ref chart on the web. If none are on the web for your brand of pickup, i can point you to a video on Youtube where you can figure out the wiring color code using a multimeter.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103953[/ATTACH]
              For anyone wanting to use the diagram above, I have since found that the superswitch is depicted backwards. To adjust for that, simply imagine the row of lugs shown on the right side is on the left, and vice versa for the other row of lugs.

Comment

Working...
              X