• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

No, just the bridge.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks man, you and the other folks who chimed in have been a tremendous help. I ordered my guitar wire, super switch and pots from amazon. Pots won't be here for another few days, so I'll put this on hold for now and post back when I get everything hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        looks like the below, but i could totally be wrong. kinda a weird diagram but i can confirm when i get home if no one else does before that

full bridge
        both full
        full neck
        both split
        bridge split
        Originally posted by W201 View Post
        Thanks for the info guitaroholic,

Jeremy- do you know what the result would be with this wiring?
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]103934[/ATTACH]
        Jeremy,

Just confirming that your assessment of the 5 combinations was correct.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020, 04:36 PM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks for the link man. I am totally down with your wiring, I'm looking into some 5-way super switches, now my only concern is flipping a magnet. It seems that every time I'm close, some else pops up. I did a quick lookup of what that entails and it doesn't seem like something that I want to tackle. Is that absolutely necessary?
          W201,

Just throwing it out there for consideration in case you have not already flipped the msgnet: no, flipping the magnet is not the only option. There is an alternative way to wire the pickup. Particulary, so that the South coil receives the Hot input from the jack/switch first, as opposed to the North coil receiving the Hot input first by default. That way in coilsplit mode, the South coil remains the active coil instead of the North coil.

Below is a diagram from the SD website that depicts the two wiring methods. The method that is circled is the alternative method that i described above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200305_175659.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5818592

You may also need/want to physically rotate that pickup 180° in the pickup mounting ring in order to make that South coil the inner coil instead of the outer coil. Proximity of one pickup's active coil to another pickup's active coil when the two are combined in parallel, affects the sound, i.e. the closer the two coils are, the more Strat-like quack they have. So depends on whether you want some of that or not.

If you go this route instead of flipping the magnet, then you would also need a modified version of the diagram in Mincer's blog article. I could find one or draw one up for you, just let me know.
          Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020, 08:36 AM.
          Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

That would be awesome If you can find a diagram, if it’s a matter of moving around a few wires I think I would rather go that route instead of flipping the magnet, but at least it would be nice to have more options. Btw I returned the push pull pots and ordered regular 500K pots.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

That would be awesome If you can find a diagram, if it’s a matter of moving around a few wires I think I would rather go that route instead of flipping the magnet, but at least it would be nice to have more options. Btw I returned the push pull pots and ordered regular 500K pots.
              Sure, not a problem. Will post back with something later today.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

This diagram will work for you. It is based on one from GuitarElectronics.com. i tweaked it to include a Tone Control like you wanted, and I added in the labeling on the pickups. It turns out the method in this diagram doesn't even require wiring one of the pickups in that special manner I described. Instead it controls which coil will be active in coilsplit mode by routing the Series link pair from the pickup either to ground (to get the North coil) or to Hot (to get the South coil).

Name:	PicsArt_03-31-02.35.42.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5818593

Per my earlier reply, depending on where you want the active coils to sit physically, e.g. if you want both inner coils active, you may have to physically rotate one or both of your pickups in their mounting rings. The labeling I added for each coil will make it clear which coils are active in each pickups selector position and where each one currently sits in default/standard humbucker placement (i.e. no rotation).

You didn't mention the brand of your two humbuckers. Following is a wiring color code translation chart for many brands. If your brand is not on the chart, let me know and we can try to find another cross-ref chart on the web. If none are on the web for your brand of pickup, i can point you to a video on Youtube where you can figure out the wiring color code using a multimeter.

Name:	FB_IMG_1585680423757.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	5818594

Comment

So I guess I have a decision to make, use the 5 way switch or the push pull pots, or buy a 3 way switch...I'd like to have it wired like this, and I guess I won't use the push pull pots.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]103932[/ATTACH]
                  W201,

I just noticed that originally, you wanted Positon 4 to be Neck only coilsplit. Do you still want that? If yes, I can do a tweak to the last diagram i provided you, let me know.

Comment

FYI: That earlier diagram has an error. The tone control is wired up wrong.

See below pic for correct way to wire it. There are actually a couple alternative ways to wire a tone control. The one below is just one example. But the method in the diagram is flat out incorrect and won't work.

Name:	20200223_091906.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	5818596

I wish this diagram could be corrected on the company website. Just in the last couple weeks someone else found it and was about to use it not knowing of the error. Luckily they posted here in the forums about it and we were able to call it to their attention.
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

Hey just wanted to let you know I saw the diagrams, thanks. Let me just digest this info and I’ll post back later tonight when I have some time to think clearly (after I put my baby to sleep.) kids suck up all your time. Oh btw- I have Seymour Duncan pickups, not sure which ones they are but I’ll get back with that info. Alright man will be back later.
                      Last edited by W201; 03-31-2020, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Jack_TriPpEr,

Hey just wanted to let you know I saw the diagrams, thanks. Let me just digest this info and I’ll post back later tonight when I have some time to think clearly (after I put my baby to sleep.) kids suck up all your time. Oh btw- I have Seymour Duncan pickups, not sure which ones they are but I’ll get back with that info. Alright man will be back later.
                        Sure, np. Just to be clear: there is only one diagram we are considering at this point, which is the one below.

Name:	PicsArt_03-31-02.35.42.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	5818597

Just let me know if you want Position 4 to remain like in the diagram above (two split coils combined) or you still want Position 4 to be Neck splitcoil *only* like you originally requested early on in the discussion.

The orher diagram I posted about a couple hours ago was not an alternative recommendation for you, but instead a side discussion about it since it was mentioned earlier in the discussion. My apologies for any confusion that might have caused.
                        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020, 06:51 PM.

Comment

From what I understand, the diagrams are something that is supposed to be looked over to correct the errors that are on a few of them. I'd say to let me know if you come across any that are wrong.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                            Sure, np. Just to be clear: there is only one diagram we are considering at this point, which is the one below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103957[/ATTACH]

Just let me know if you want Position 4 to remain like in the diagram above (two split coils combined) or you still want Position 4 to be Neck splitcoil *only* like you originally requested early on in the discussion.

The orher diagram I posted about a couple hours ago was not an alternative recommendation for you, but instead a side discussion about it since it was mentioned earlier in the discussion. My apologies for any confusion that might have caused.
                            No need to apologize. In all honesty, I wanted the neck to be splitcoil because I thought it would be nice for the guitar to have that flexibility, but if I want single coils I can just pull out my other strat. I'm perfectly fine with the last diagram. So just to be clear, with the last diagram, I won't need to flip the magnets, just solder everything the way it's laid out and I'm good to go?

Comment

...So just to be clear, with the last diagram, I won't need to flip the magnets, just solder everything the way it's laid out and I'm good to go?
                              Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                                Correct.
                                Sweet! My pots will be here in a few days and I'll post back.

Comment

Working...
                                X