Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

Default Re: Need Help Wiring Strat w/ Humbuckers

Quote Originally Posted by W201 View Post
    Jack_TriPpEr,

That would be awesome If you can find a diagram, if itís a matter of moving around a few wires I think I would rather go that route instead of flipping the magnet, but at least it would be nice to have more options. Btw I returned the push pull pots and ordered regular 500K pots.
    Sure, not a problem. Will post back with something later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    Good diagram Shadowfire90, but it isn't what the OP wants.

Jack_TriPpEr,

That would be awesome If you can find a diagram, if itís a matter of moving around a few wires I think I would rather go that route instead of flipping the magnet, but at least it would be nice to have more options. Btw I returned the push pull pots and ordered regular 500K pots.
    This diagram will work for you. It is based on one from GuitarElectronics.com. i tweaked it to include a Tone Control like you wanted, and I added in the labeling on the pickups. It turns out the method in this diagram doesn't even require wiring one of the pickups in that special manner I described. Instead it controls which coil will be active in coilsplit mode by routing the Series link pair from the pickup either to ground (to get the North coil) or to Hot (to get the South coil).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PicsArt_03-31-02.35.42.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	103952

Per my earlier reply, depending on where you want the active coils to sit physically, e.g. if you want both inner coils active, you may have to physically rotate one or both of your pickups in their mounting rings. The labeling I added for each coil will make it clear which coils are active in each pickups selector position and where each one currently sits in default/standard humbucker placement (i.e. no rotation).

You didn't mention the brand of your two humbuckers. Following is a wiring color code translation chart for many brands. If your brand is not on the chart, let me know and we can try to find another cross-ref chart on the web. If none are on the web for your brand of pickup, i can point you to a video on Youtube where you can figure out the wiring color code using a multimeter.

Name:	FB_IMG_1585680423757.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	103953

So I guess I have a decision to make, use the 5 way switch or the push pull pots, or buy a 3 way switch...I'd like to have it wired like this, and I guess I won't use the push pull pots.
    Attachment 103932
    W201,

I just noticed that originally, you wanted Positon 4 to be Neck only coilsplit. Do you still want that? If yes, I can do a tweak to the last diagram i provided you, let me know.

FYI: That earlier diagram has an error. The tone control is wired up wrong.

Attachment 103955

See below pic for correct way to wire it. There are actually a couple alternative ways to wire a tone control. The one below is just one example. But the method in the diagram is flat out incorrect and won't work.

Name:  20200223_091906.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  17.5 KB

I wish this diagram could be corrected on the company website. Just in the last couple weeks someone else found it and was about to use it not knowing of the error. Luckily they posted here in the forums about it and we were able to call it to their attention.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020 at 03:48 PM.

Jack_TriPpEr,

Hey just wanted to let you know I saw the diagrams, thanks. Let me just digest this info and I’ll post back later tonight when I have some time to think clearly (after I put my baby to sleep.) kids suck up all your time. Oh btw- I have Seymour Duncan pickups, not sure which ones they are but I’ll get back with that info. Alright man will be back later.
    Last edited by W201; 03-31-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Jack_TriPpEr,

Hey just wanted to let you know I saw the diagrams, thanks. Let me just digest this info and I’ll post back later tonight when I have some time to think clearly (after I put my baby to sleep.) kids suck up all your time. Oh btw- I have Seymour Duncan pickups, not sure which ones they are but I’ll get back with that info. Alright man will be back later.
    Sure, np. Just to be clear: there is only one diagram we are considering at this point, which is the one below.

Views:	11 
ID:	103957

Just let me know if you want Position 4 to remain like in the diagram above (two split coils combined) or you still want Position 4 to be Neck splitcoil *only* like you originally requested early on in the discussion.

The orher diagram I posted about a couple hours ago was not an alternative recommendation for you, but instead a side discussion about it since it was mentioned earlier in the discussion. My apologies for any confusion that might have caused.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 03-31-2020 at 05:51 PM.

From what I understand, the diagrams are something that is supposed to be looked over to correct the errors that are on a few of them. I'd say to let me know if you come across any that are wrong.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
    Sure, np. Just to be clear: there is only one diagram we are considering at this point, which is the one below.

Views:	11 
ID:	103957

Just let me know if you want Position 4 to remain like in the diagram above (two split coils combined) or you still want Position 4 to be Neck splitcoil *only* like you originally requested early on in the discussion.

The orher diagram I posted about a couple hours ago was not an alternative recommendation for you, but instead a side discussion about it since it was mentioned earlier in the discussion. My apologies for any confusion that might have caused.
    No need to apologize. In all honesty, I wanted the neck to be splitcoil because I thought it would be nice for the guitar to have that flexibility, but if I want single coils I can just pull out my other strat. I'm perfectly fine with the last diagram. So just to be clear, with the last diagram, I won't need to flip the magnets, just solder everything the way it's laid out and I'm good to go?

...So just to be clear, with the last diagram, I won't need to flip the magnets, just solder everything the way it's laid out and I'm good to go?
    Correct.

Correct.
    Sweet! My pots will be here in a few days and I'll post back.

Hey guys, hope everyone is staying sane.

Been wiring everything up since getting my pots and switch a few days ago- I’m more than half way done, but I do have a few questions... on the diagram, do the wires that go to ground get soldered to the back of pots?

Here's what I got so far, looking good I hope:

Name:	eOH5nfz.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	104115
    Last edited by W201; 04-10-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Ground would be the back of the pots, and the back of each pot should be connected, too.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Perfect. Thank you my dude.

Finished wiring everything up, this was my first time doing this so I tried soldering everything as neat as possible anticipating that I might screw something up... which I did lol.

I tested the different positions, and I think they're all working, but seems I wired the switch backwards from the diagram. The neck position activates the bridge and vice versa. The switch on the pick guard is flipped 180 degrees compared to the diagram, and I kept that in mind as I wired everything up, but I double checked all the connections.

I can't flip the switch because there's no room. I'm hella confused...any pointres? I'm including a picture of the final wiring hopefully you guys will see something I'm missing.

Name:	0niTNwO.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	104152

Name:	yN6Fnov.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	104154
    Last edited by W201; 04-12-2020 at 07:12 AM.

Finished wiring everything up, this was my first time doing this so I tried soldering everything as neat as possible anticipating that I might screw something up... which I did lol.

I tested the different positions, and I think they're all working, but seems I wired the switch backwards from the diagram. The neck position activates the bridge and vice versa. The switch on the pick guard is flipped 180 degrees compared to the diagram, and I kept that in mind as I wired everything up, but I double checked all the connections.

I can't flip the switch because there's no room. I'm hella confused...any pointres? I'm including a picture of the final wiring hopefully you guys will see something I'm missing.

Name:	0niTNwO.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	104152

Name:	yN6Fnov.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	76.9 KB 
ID:	104154
    W201,

I wish you had asked prior to doing it, about your plan to wire the switch in flipped position. Some of the wire connections will need to be reworked -they need to be rerouted so Position 1 is Bridge pickup, not Neck pickup, etc. I will work up a modified diagram for you. Won't have a chance to do that until this evening.

W201,

I wish you had asked prior to doing it, about your plan to wire the switch in flipped position. Some of the wire connections will need to be reworked -they need to be rerouted so Position 1 is Bridge pickup, not Neck pickup, etc. I will work up a modified diagram for you. Won't have a chance to do that until this evening.
    Jack_TriPpEr,

Honestly, I thought it was a little odd, but the thing is that even though the switch is flipped, it wired everything up exactly as the diagram shows, and figured everything would work out perfectly lol. Sorry man, I'm not an electrician, I just like to play guitar...I'm actually shocked it came out nicer than the last guy who tried it. No rush on the diagram, I appreciate it buddy.

Jack_TriPpEr,

Honestly, I thought it was a little odd, but the thing is that even though the switch is flipped, it wired everything up exactly as the diagram shows, and figured everything would work out perfectly lol. Sorry man, I'm not an electrician, I just like to play guitar...I'm actually shocked it came out nicer than the last guy who tried it. No rush on the diagram, I appreciate it buddy.
    Squeezed in some time ahead of schedule. Just swap around the two wires that connect to the two lugs circled in Red. That should do it.

[Edit: the results of Position 2 will now be present in Position 4, and vice versa. Not due to the wire swap i just advised you to do, but simply from the switch already being turned around.]

Name:	PicsArt_04-12-12.28.06.jpg 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	104163

Separately, after that is done, assess if there are any excessive noise issues with the guitar plugged into an amp. If yes, that *might* be coming from the points of exposed bare wire picking up interference at the splice points in your work - like in the pic below. I am not *certain* those splice-points will allow noise to seep in because I don't make connections like that myself. Those connections that look like splice-joints depicted in guitarelectronics.com diagrams are used to convey "functional" purpose - i.e. not necessarily how the two wires would actually be physically joined. If there is noise, you could first try covering the exposed bare wire with electrical tape or heat- shrink. If that doesn't eliminate the noise, you might need to rewire any splice-joints. The method to do that would be, the start of the wire reaches the first lug it is supposed to contact - and then connect a *2nd wire* from that lug to the next lug and so on, so like a daisy-chain... instead of splicing into the first wire. This last method is the best method to wire such connections going forward.

Name:	20200412_110718.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	104164

By the way, the quality of your solder connections looks quite good for someone doing this for the first time - good job!

Let me know how it goes.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 04-12-2020 at 10:15 AM.

Jack_TriPpEr,

I swapped the two wires. I hate to say this because you've been super helpful, but I have other problems. When I plug into an amp and test the different positions I get this:

1. None
    2. Neck (S) Bridge (N)
    3. Neck Series
    4. Neck Series (N sounds louder than S)
    5. Correct.

I'll go through and check all the connections again make sure I didn't miss anything.

Jack_TriPpEr,

I swapped the two wires. I hate to say this because you've been super helpful, but I have other problems. When I plug into an amp and test the different positions I get this:

1. None
    2. Neck (S) Bridge (N)
    3. Neck Series
    4. Neck Series (N sounds louder than S)
    5. Correct.

I'll go through and check all the connections again make sure I didn't miss anything.
    Please reply with photos of the wiring connections. This will help to determine if a wire is connected in the wrong place, a lug is missing a connection, a cold solder joint causing signal not to flow, etc.

Particuarly, please ensure all the bridge pickup connections are un-obscured since that is the pickup that seems to have the issue.

Got it. Stepped out of the house for a minute, but I’ll get some good pictures and post later tonight. Thanks again for your help.