Looking for an affordable Multi Effect to use as a preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an affordable Multi Effect to use as a preamp

Hi, I have a mini power amp and a cab at home. I'd like to keep my home rig fairly simple, so I'm looking for a multi effect to use as a preamp.

I play mainly higher gain stuff, and I'd like the multi effect to have an expression pedal, and also not so expensive like the Helix, etc. It's a practice rig, sounds passable is good enough.

Any suggestions?

Re: Looking for an affordable Multi Effect to use as a preamp

Once the ampero and mooer ge250 prices come down I’m gonna be all over one of ‘em. Clips of both have me impressed.

Don’t forget the line 6 pod go is coming out - cheaper helix basically

Comment

Mooer GE100, Zoom G3, Digitech RP360, lots out there.

Comment

Keep in mind that here is a pretty big difference in feel and sound from the dirt cheap ones to even ones a few hundred more.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd say the Zoom G3N with the pedal would work great.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
            An ART SGX2000 can be had for a song these days. With the two-pedal controller.
            That ART stuff is awful!
            Actually, that is harsh. The reverbs, delays, and chorus is fine. The actual preamp sounds like ass. It is why we still describe digital things sounding like a 'can of bees'. That isn't true of modern devices, but ART stuff was awful, even for the time.

Comment

I would rather look for a 1st generation POD, which is light years better than anything ART ever made.

Comment

Question for the OP, what is affordable?

The Amplifrebox is great for the price at $299.
                Ampli-Firebox is the world's first professional-quality digital amp and cab modeling processor in a compact stompbox. Order yours today at atomicamps.com

Comment

Zoom's G1X Four is cheap ($99)..sounds really awesome/easy to use & has the expression pedal...love mine
                  "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                  If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Thank you all very much for the suggestions.

In fact, I have the Zoom G1Xon and G1X Four right now.

G1Xon has a power amp in output mode so it can be used as a preamp, but it sounds a little thin. While the G1x Four (and I believe the whole newer range of Zoom) is designed to go straight into the front of a clean amp (and sounds excellent). All of its amp models sound muffled going into a power amp, just like a distortion pedal would.

That's why I came here. I would say my budget is below 300 US dollars. I was torn between Boss GT1, Mooer GE250 and the Hotone ampero.

Comment

All of those are solid choices, I think the GT1 is pretty much the GT-100 models so they may be a little dated vs the other ones, but aren't bad, I used a GT-100 for years and use the GT-1000 now. The Mooer micro preamps that I've tried sound really good. Don't know anything about the Ampero, but Hotone makes some great stuff.

I would say you can get good results from any of those, just pick one and run with it.
                      Last edited by devastone; 04-03-2020, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by VergDan View Post
                        Hi, I have a mini power amp and a cab at home. I'd like to keep my home rig fairly simple, so I'm looking for a multi effect to use as a preamp.

I play mainly higher gain stuff, and I'd like the multi effect to have an expression pedal, and also not so expensive like the Helix, etc. It's a practice rig, sounds passable is good enough.

Any suggestions?
                        Where do you live? I can sell you my Rocktron Voodu Valve.

Comment

Originally posted by VergDan View Post
                          While the G1x Four (and I believe the whole newer range of Zoom) is designed to go straight into the front of a clean amp (and sounds excellent). All of its amp models sound muffled going into a power amp, just like a distortion pedal would.
                          Are you using a cab block? Have you enable the mic in the cab block? I think it's not enable in any presets.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                            Are you using a cab block? Have you enable the mic in the cab block? I think it's not enable in any presets.
                            No I'm running it through a V30 cab so I didn't use any cab block in my presets. The amp models sound fine in front of a clean amp, but sound muffled going through a power amp as I said.

Comment

Sorry, was thinking you were going to a PA cab. Looks like the G1 Four doesn't have enough output to drive your power amp. What power amp do you have? How many volts does it need for input?
                              Zoom is +2dBu output level, so check the input sensitivity of your power amp.

Comment

Working...
                              X