I finally Finished My Stew Mac SG Guitar Kit Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally Finished My Stew Mac SG Guitar Kit Build

I changed the pots, wiring, pickups, bridge, tailpiece, switch and tuners. Seymour Duncan 59/JB and Triple Shot on bridge pickup, Grover tuners, better 3 way switch, GFS brass roller bridge and a heavier tailpiece. This guitar plays and sounds beautiful.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5853696

Re: I finally Finished My Stew Mac SG Guitar Kit Build

looks nice! what all came in the kit?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      looks nice! what all came in the kit?
      The kit has everything to make the guitar function including strings. The parts are cheesy, inexpensive import junk (just my opinion) Stew Mac couldn't make money on this kit if the parts were higher end stuff. I built this guitar to make it actually giggable and studio quality. I bought this kit because it was on sale (appox. $140) With the parts I added, it is a worthwhile guitar. I probably have another $300 or $400 in the guitar and it plays and sounds like an $800 or more guitar. I also added pots and orange drops to further it's tone worthiness.

Comment

nice! even if it was just a decent neck and body for $140 that seems like a good deal

Comment

Cool! How did you finish it? Looks like a matte kind of stain?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Looks like they arent advertised on the website anymore.

is that a 24 fret?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
              Cool! How did you finish it? Looks like a matte kind of stain?
              Not a stain, just left over gold, steel and oiled bronze rattle can spray paint that I had left over from another project. Some slight splattering which looks pretty cool on the finish. I didn't bother sealing the wood, I prefer the wood to breathe. I would have oiled the guitar, but the body was a 2 piece and the two pieces weren't close enough with grain and color match. It also wasn't joined at the halfway mark (the two pieces of mMahogany for the body)
              Last edited by Jeffblue; 03-31-2020, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Junior View Post
                Looks like they arent advertised on the website anymore.

is that a 24 fret?

I believe it is 24 fret.

Comment

I think it's 22.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

looks great
                    I put roller bridges and triple shot rings on most everything

I pulled the roller bridge off my Ehdwuld branded semi hollow to put a Piezo bridge on

if i could found it in a roller ........
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Anybody remember this thing?

Name:	IMG_4310.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5818620

Bought a customer returned DIY kit for $174 ($105US) and chucked the electronics into this thing. Didn't want to do anything fancy, the switch had 'made in Korea' stamped on it, so I imagine all of it was. Which is fitting for this Samick.

Basically got tired of it sitting around with nothing in it, saw the discounted kit and figured screw it. Now I have to clean up and reglue the nut, put "new" strings on (from the kit, what do I care?), and chuck the rest.

A bit of a shame to do that, really. But as nice as unfinished wood smells, I REALLY have no use for any of it.

All said and done, it was a fun enough project to think about paying for a higher grade kit at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        I think it's 22.
                        Sir....I believe you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                          Anybody remember this thing?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104001[/ATTACH]

Bought a customer returned DIY kit for $174 ($105US) and chucked the electronics into this thing. Didn't want to do anything fancy, the switch had 'made in Korea' stamped on it, so I imagine all of it was. Which is fitting for this Samick.

Basically got tired of it sitting around with nothing in it, saw the discounted kit and figured screw it. Now I have to clean up and reglue the nut, put "new" strings on (from the kit, what do I care?), and chuck the rest.

A bit of a shame to do that, really. But as nice as unfinished wood smells, I REALLY have no use for any of it.

All said and done, it was a fun enough project to think about paying for a higher grade kit at some point.

May I suggest Precision Guitar Kits. Superb workmanship and I'm absolutely happy with mine.

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	5818623

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5818624

Name:	IMG_0035.jpg
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	5818625
                          I built this 54 custom Les Paul Black Limba with Ebony fretboard, stainless steel frets, Ebony headstock face, routed for Seymour Duncan 59/JB, GFS brass roller bridge and an Electrosocket. Sounds and plays like I paid thousands for it.

Comment

Big fan of Precision Guitar Kits. I built a SG Jr from there back in 2011. Had a headstock mishap not too long ago but got that situated OK. I've replaced the bridge too with the new wraparound with individual saddle adjustment. It sounds and plays much better with it and the intonation is much better.

I'm planning on doing another one, possibly a LP JR double-cut, but waiting for this to all blow over and get back to some normalcy.

Name:	IMG_0409.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5818626
                            Last edited by ErikH; 04-03-2020, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Nice looking build there.

Comment

Working...
                              X