Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice needed on highest passive pickup output

Hello Everyone,
    Im new to this forum and new to seymour duncan world. Could really use your advise on this.

Im a long time EMG 81 player, one day i tried the seymour duncan black winter on friend schecter guitar and it sensed the dynamics the black winter has that i never experienced with EMG81, i liked it but i noticed it is not as high output as im used to with the EMG, of course everything comes with price. Active pickups means high output with less dynamics and less low end also less natural voice. Passive hot pickups has all the dynamics, organic, but would need a boost at some point.

So to get both of passive and active world. Something passive but has the highest gain that can match with or nearly match with active pickups.

I was reading that the invader is the one, but im concerned about the excessive bass, since i intend to install the pickup on basswood guitar body, rosewood fretboard and maple neck.

My gear:
    Randall Thrasher Amp
    Ibanez RG652 prestige
    Tuning: C# standard

Appreciate your help on this
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Re: Advice needed on highest passive pickup output

The EMG 81 isn't that high output. Not technically, anyways. It's essentially a lower output pickup with a ceramic magnet and blade poles boosted through an active preamp.

As far as passives go, the Black Winter is a very high output pickup. The only way to get more is to go with something like the Invader or the DiMarzio X2N. If you like the tonality of the EMG 81, but want a more dynamic passive, check out the original DiMarzio Evolution (aka: Evo) and the original D-Activator set.

That said, you might be best off with something like the Black Winters and then use a clean boost (hint: check out Duncan's own "Pickup Booster" pedal) to give you the boost you need.

Or, consider an onboard active boost, which is especially convenient if you have a guitar you're converting from EMG's and already have a place for a battery. John Petrucci and a lot of other players do this with their passives for more output.

Comment

My question is why do you need the higher output part of your signal to be in the pickups? If you're trying to hit the preamp harder, get a boost. It'll cost the same as a new set of pickups plus it can work with any guitar and you'll get the added benefits of using whichever pickups you prefer for their tone or dynamics.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

If you want a high output pickup just for fun, get a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Stop foolin' around and go for a SLUG!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah - to keep the organics and dynamics etc of the BW, get a Duncan Pickup Booster, a Keeley Clean Boost, etc...
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm surprised you didn't find the Black Winter high output enough.

I replaced Black Winters in my guitars with EMG's recently, and noticed they didn't drive the amp quite as hard as the BW's did. Still like them, though.

But yeah, the 81 is not super high output, IME. Perhaps a bit hotter than the JB (which is towards the lower end of high output pups), but not by much.

Comment

I was never interested in the X2N because I thought it would be over the top. Then I got one in a Charvel ProMod. Love it. Bought another one.

Comment

Thank you all for the responses. I think i will go with duncan booster, after all, all i need is more gain not something tonely different. BW sounds amazing to my taste, i can imagine it with a kick of little boost is going to give all the force i aim at.

Much appreciated. Keep the flames of metal burning!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X