Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates or '59 trem in SG copy?

Hi there

Got me a nice SG copy, pickups are so-so and I want to put some spare Duncans in them.

For the bridge, what would you choose, PG or 59trem, and why?

I'm afraid the PG might be a little too spikey for the lightweight body.

Some details on the guitar: after long hesitation I bought a white Harley benton SG, it arrived and it was crap: very bad paintjob and the binding was really messy. Even worse, the fretboard was coming off the neck at the nut, on the side of the 6th string: a hairline crack up to the 4th or 5th fret. Made in Vietnam, it said. I asked to send the guitar back and they were super helpful and gave me a stamp to send the axe back. I hadn't been too clear about wanting my money back in hindsight, just talked about sending the axe back. So, waiting to recieve my refund I got a new guitar in the mail!! I realised my mistake and was a bit bummed out. I mailed them and they apologized for the mishap (which was actually my doing) and sent me another stamp. But I was curious to see if this axe was a better specimen. It was!!! Finish was just passable for a guitar this price, but played and sounded fantastic. Really nice neck and fretjob, so I decided to keep it. The Roswell pickups aren't bad, but I have some duncans laying around, so...

Re: Pearly Gates or '59 trem in SG copy?

personally i prefer the pg but the 59 is probably a better fit

Comment

See I would pick the 59. I don't like the overt treble of the PG. Everyone is different. If you can try both for a week or 2.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i think the 59 has a sharper high end than the pg, the pg has stronger upper mids to me. similar to the jb, its not really high end, just a prominent upper mid peak that some like and some really dont, and it works in some guitars better than others. put a pg in the bridge of a sg, plug into a nvm marshall, turn it up and its ac/dc

Comment

Yeah! That good old 2-5K mid spike!

I hate it when it is excessive tho. I think PGs' are ok. I could not take that from Rio BBQ for example.

Anyways... back on the subject. Why not a WLH's? They are sorta beefed up 59's and might be the "safer" option.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

59 set is fantastic in an SG

Comment

Well, '59 it is then...

Your comments match my suspicion that judging from how the guitar sounds acoustically, the PG might be a bit too dry of a sound.

Thanks everyone! Keep safe!

Comment

Okay, just foudn this on the youtoobs...

The Pearly Gates vintage output passive humbucker pickups pack ton of focused midrange attitude with raw Texas punch and sizzle.Video Credits- Performance by...

Despite Doug's juicy licks, that is a dry sound. Awesome tone but a bit too heavy on the mids for what I play...

Comment

Let us know how the 59 turns out!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                  X