Recommended reading for music theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended reading for music theory

After years and years of neglect I think I finally have to bite the bullet and learn some actual music theory. I had a good teacher as a kid but I lost all of that once I had to start learning on my own. Reading was boring when I could chug power chords instead.

So can anyone recommend me any good books on music theory for guitar? I know there are tons of resources online but I can't sit in front of a computer screen without loosing focus. I need something in printed form.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Recommended reading for music theory

A great book is The Guitarist's Music Theory Book. It isn't fancy, but it is easy to understand, even for beginning guitarists.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Rudimentary elements of music theory. Has tons of exercises to fill out at the end of each chapter to make sure you're getting it. I went from knowing nothing to passing my entrance exam to music college

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
        Rudimentary elements of music theory. Has tons of exercises to fill out at the end of each chapter to make sure you're getting it. I went from knowing nothing to passing my entrance exam to music college
        Author?
        1973 Aria 551
        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

I would actually advise taking a theory class on Udemy, not trying to learn theory from a book. I can recommend Jason Allen’s music theory course on Udemy, it’s a full college theory course presented over a few hundred hours of classes.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
            I would actually advise taking a theory class on Udemy, not trying to learn theory from a book. I can recommend Jason Allen’s music theory course on Udemy, it’s a full college theory course presented over a few hundred hours of classes.
            That looks like an amazing course for $75! https://www.udemy.com/course/music-theory-complete/

However, it depends on the OP's level of interest and what he wants to accomplish. Music theory is honestly not very "guitar-centric" it has to be understood, then applied to guitar.

He specifically asked about "music theory for guitar", so, if he is just looking for a guitar centered approach, maybe Mincer's suggestion is more what he is looking for, or maybe something like Troy Stetina's Fretboard Mastery.

Comment

Also, for just fretboard placement along, the Guitar Grimoire series is good. It really doesn't dive into the theory, but if you know the theory, and you are looking for the patterns, chords, or progression to use, that series is great.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Most theory books are boring as hell, but I do like some.

1. I love books like this because it’s got theory in the context of useful riffs, chords, and licks. Definitely need the CD to make full use of it. I'm on my second go-round with it. Devil is in the details!

2. For modes I like this one:

3. This guy (Tom Landry) has a great way of explaining soloing over chords (or what I'm usually seeking out in terms of theory). Wish it was more formalized into a lesson but this helped me see a lot of things more clearly:

Bay Area Guitarist and Instructor, Tom Landry, describing how to solo over chords. Axis Bold as Love by Jimi Hendrix. On-line lessons available. Send a pr...

4. I really like this guy's playing and speaking approach (steve stine) - I've never done a subscription, but like the free stuff I've seen. You could get a lot just from googling "guitar zoom youtube":

5. This book is super useful, but I wish it had a CD that went with it:

Whoops - disregard non print recommendations
                Last edited by DankStar; 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Seems at the moment Amazon isn't shipping to a lot of countries due to that pesky virus going around. Hopefully I can get a hold of some of those books in a not too distant future.

And guys (and gals?), I appreciate anyone trying to help but it's clearly stated at the top that I'm only interested in anything I can get in print form. I'm not looking for online courses or websites, no matter how good they are.
                  Last edited by Coma; 04-05-2020, 03:26 PM.
                  1973 Aria 551
                  1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Working...
                  X