Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filling pickup cavities?

Hi all,

I’ve got a carvin dc747 7string guitar that I originally ordered with a Hsh configuration. Only problem is that 15 years later I realized I hate middle coils because my pick gets caught on the polepieces and the neck position is more or less unused. I wanted to see if anyone had success filling unwanted pickup cavities and how they did it? Could acrylic work? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Filling pickup cavities?

Depends on what you want to do.

Just want to have the hole filled physically and don't care how hideous it looks - pick any material you can shape easily and fill the hole. You might even be able to find some plastic sheet that looks similar to a covered pickup, and with 2 screws install it to level with the body in any unused pickup cavity.

The professional/permanent way involves routing the cavity to get to fresh wood, and shaping a block that exactly fits the hole, gluing in and then doing a re-fin over probably the whole body.
    Done right this will look like the guitar was only ever routed for the pickup(s) you leave in...........very costly though

Comment

There is no tone in acrylic. Use wood, or simply cover the hole.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Screw them down a low as possible and you are good. Everything else looks weird.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Filling pickup cavities?

Originally posted by grumptruck
          Dc727 is all direct mount isn't it?
          Yes all direct mount.

With the middle coil as low as it will go my pick is still getting caught on the pole pieces anyhow.

Thought I could do something creative with the acrylic as the guitar is a green burst.

Last edited by Nsatke81; 04-01-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

I looked up that guitar so I could see what you have to work with aesthetically.

Cover plates or filler blocks will look bad. A pickguard would look great, but would require some less than straightforward design to get around the controls.

I would pull your neck and middle pickups and see if there's any foam, springs, etc. underneath them that you can pull out to buy yourself an extra 1/8" to lower the middle pickup. If so, pull it and see what you get. If there's nothing there to pull, or if pulling what's there doesn't get your pickups low enough, then I would slightly deepen your pickup cavities.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-02-2020, 03:29 AM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

those Carvin singles may be a bit taller than other brands

get just a a solid single coil pickup cover with no holes
              and a no holes humbucker cover as well

remove the real pickups
              just mount the covers
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I had this problem but learned to pick in other places. Are you sure you can't back that pup down and learn to live with it? If not, pickguard is the best choice.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                  Screw them down a low as possible and you are good. Everything else looks weird.
                  +1

I'd just screw the middle pickup as low as possible. Then you're not banging into it with the pick and it won't look funny or be lots of extra work.

If you're still hitting the middle pickup with it as low as it can go, then you might want to work on picking technique. You're using way too much pick if it's going more than 2-3 mm below the string.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The "right" way to do it? plug with wood cut to shape and blend in to the original finish. Sounds like that isn't an option, so a dummy pickup is probably the "best" option.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      +1

I'd just screw the middle pickup as low as possible. Then you're not banging into it with the pick and it won't look funny or be lots of extra work.

If you're still hitting the middle pickup with it as low as it can go, then you might want to work on picking technique. You're using way too much pick if it's going more than 2-3 mm below the string.
                      This is what I'd do. It helps to have a more powerful pickup in the middle than you think you will need. But I do this on Srats as I have the same issue.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                        +1

I already use jazz IIIs so there isn’t a lot of meat on the pick underneath the strings. It’s more like it gets occasionally stuck enough to be annoying and I only use middle coils on my strats.

I have a duncan distortion in there that I’m not thrilled with so I figure I’ll get a EMTY or Retribution set. I’ll lower the middle coil and remove it from the circuit.

Comment

I've been using Jazz IIIs for years, and when I started playing a strat had the same issue as you. Turned out, even with the Jazz III I was picking too deep. Lowering the middle pickup and a couple months of focusing on better picking technique sorted me out.

:P
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Several people are telling the OP to lower the middle pickup. Didn't the OP already state that he lowered it as far as he could?

He should check underneath it to see if there is anything below it that can be removed. Surgical tubing/springs, foam, etc.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Find a cheap rails pickup to put in the middle to cover the hole. No polepieces to hit with pick and less effect on strings.
                              "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                              Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Working...
                              X