Guitar harmonies and riffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar harmonies and riffs

I am record some songs and some of the riffs have harmonies within the riff. some notes the 2nd guitar plays the 3rd or the 5th a few notes in a row.

my question is how to track them. would you record one rythym and hard pan left or right a then record the harmonized rythym and hard pan the other way? I have also thought about double tracking the main riff and then recording a 3rd track for the harmony planned up the middle.

the main rythym sound is double tracked not quad.

Re: Guitar harmonies and riffs

Try it hard panned, but I think that it would probably sound good if you only panned maybe a third to half way on each side. That would keep the harmonies more center weighted.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I've noticed songs that pan out symmetrically sound more polished while songs that pan things out asymmetrically get a more rustic or garage sound or whatever. Like 1 guitar will be 20% left and the other way the eff over on the right. Or like the Beatles with the drums only on one side. Experiment, it's just what effect you want to achieve.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I would copy the panning on some of your favorite harmonized tracks. Listen to your favorites over headphones, and place your harmonies in the same place.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If there’s already a rhythm that’s hard panned L and R, I’ll do the harmonies like 30 to 60% L and R. Or sometimes just use 1 guitar harmonizing with the rhythm riff and pan it off center somewhere.

If the harmony is in the rhythm guitars themselves I’ll often let the L or R play it (but not the same guitar every time so it sounds more like 2 guitarists playing off each other). Can make tracking more of a pain but worth it I think.
          Last edited by DankStar; 04-02-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

The other 'producer' part of me is thinking to not worry about what others do, and try a whole bunch of unconventional stuff, including unconventional harmonies. At some point, all the players and producers we admire had to try that, or we wouldn't have heard of them.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

ok thanks for the suggestions guys. the part is in the rythym themselves. its sounds too disjointed just letting one of the hard panned sides to my ears.

Comment

Originally posted by metalmachine1983 View Post
                ok thanks for the suggestions guys. the part is in the rythym themselves. its sounds too disjointed just letting one of the hard panned sides to my ears.
                In headphones it can be - is it also disjointed through monitors and/or your car’s system? Or post it on the forum for peeps to check out.

Comment

It also depends on the sound you're looking for - polished or raw, and big thick sound or plain simple voices.
                  You can go a lot of different ways with two harmonized rhythm parts.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

so I ended up quad tracking and it was perfect for the song

Comment

Working...
                    X