Thread: Ngd

Default Ngd

This one just arrived. Will eventually get around to putting in some tv Jones puppies.
    Name:  IMG_2850.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  25.0 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Ngd

cool looking guitar! dont know if ive seen that model before

Ultimate Tone Member

Looks like a Jackson Mark Morton Dominion... Though the color is indeed unfamiliar looking...

oh I like that

tummy cut?
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

I like it.

Sent from my REVVLPLUS C3701A using Tapatalk

What do the switches do? I haven't seen that model before.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Default Ngd

Itís an ivory dominion pro...they just changed around the models for 2020. Itís semihollow without f-holes. I wanted something I could use for jazz and country that felt like a Jackson. I was unsure about the unfinished neck but as it happens I think itís killer ha.

There is a tummy cut.

The switches are coil splitters which Iím not really crazy about...probably will omit them from the circuit when I install the tv Jones pickups.

Last edited by Nsatke81; 04-02-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Ultimate Tone Member

I actually wish Jackson had kept around their non-metal axe line, like the Sweetone Jazzr and the Surfcaster... But since they are gone, I guess this and maybe the Friedman/Monarch model is the next best thing for those wanting a Jackson tailored for a bit more mellow music. What's your opinion/experience regarding the build quality on this one?

I have a 1996 blonde Jackson Surfcaster

https://vincet.net/2015/05/26/from-t...rfcaster-sc-1/

And, first glance, thought this was one of those. Mine has a TVJones in the bridge, and itís a match made in heaven!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post

And, first glance, thought this was one of those. Mine has a TVJones in the bridge, and itís a match made in heaven!

Awesome surfcaster! Jackson came out with some really cool guitars in the later 90s trying to figure out their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by nexion218 View Post
    I actually wish Jackson had kept around their non-metal axe line, like the Sweetone Jazzr and the Surfcaster... But since they are gone, I guess this and maybe the Friedman/Monarch model is the next best thing for those wanting a Jackson tailored for a bit more mellow music. What's your opinion/experience regarding the build quality on this one?
    I would say that my USA Jacksons (mostly Ontario factory, one San dimas) are certainly on a different level. However, the dominion is light, feels very sturdy and the neck plays exceedingly well. I would say that it is comparable to a nice Ibanez artcore than anything epiphone makes.

I also was excited about this pro series model because it has the graphite rods in the neck for stability. I feel this subtly changes the tone of the guitar in a pleasing way.

When I managed music stores I found that quality of an instrument sometimes has more to do with the qc process than price tag. I will say that I spent more on this than I would have on a 335 style Ibanez artcore, but I am glad I did.

Ultimate Tone Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinceT View Post

And, first glance, thought this was one of those. Mine has a TVJones in the bridge, and it’s a match made in heaven!

Wow, that's a sweet lookin blonde you got there! There is actually one for sale in a nearby city in red, with Kent Armstrong pups and a slight blemish on the body. I just couldn't convince myself yet to take it for around 600 USD - I don't think I ever played a single riff that would fit that kind of instrument. But it looks soooo *****in' that I keep going back to the ad... Maybe having something radically different would push me to work on some uncharted territories with my playing (not that there is a single territory that I have completely charted, but still... )?

Wow, that's a sweet lookin blonde you got there! There is actually one for sale in a nearby city in red, with Kent Armstrong pups and a slight blemish on the body. I just couldn't convince myself yet to take it for around 600 USD - I don't think I ever played a single riff that would fit that kind of instrument. But it looks soooo *****in' that I keep going back to the ad... Maybe having something radically different would push me to work on some uncharted territories with my playing (not that there is a single territory that I have completely charted, but still... )?
    Believe it or not you can play anything on the surfcasters. They have tons of acoustic properties so they are great for just sitting around the house and jamming.

Default Ngd

Yeah, the only thing that keeps me off it compared to my other guitars is itís thin-profile neck and flat radius fingerboard - not my preference. But I do love it.

The original pickups in mine were both Kent Armstrong (designed, I think) and the neck lipstick in this guitar has something going on that Iíve not been able to find in any other pickup - one of the many reasons Iíd be unlikely to sell.

I wasnít a fan of the bridge HB - nothing bad, just not inspirational - and I felt the aesthetic cried out for something Gretsch/Rickenbacker - the TV Jones just fit the bill all around (likes it so much that Iíve since put his Starwood pickups on my Strat and Tele).

For $600, Iíd be really tempted to check out that one locally, it may well take you into different territory - very flexible.