banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the "extra" ceramic magnets affect tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do the "extra" ceramic magnets affect tone?

I was looking at buying a used Distortion and the owner mentioned that he had installed extra ceramic magnets to make the tone similar to an Invader, but they'd be easy to uninstall if I wanted to.

What effects do these side magnets have on the tone?

Re: How do the "extra" ceramic magnets affect tone?

It won't make it sound like an Invader, just a more beastly Distortion.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Probably more like a Black Winter.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

No, it sounds like a hotter Distortion.
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          No, it sounds like a hotter Distortion.
          You're aware that a Black Winter basically is a Distortion with helper mags, right?

Comment

They add output. That makes a difference in the pickup's sensitivity to your right hand, and in how much the pickup saturates your amp and pedal chain (which can make a big difference in e.q.).
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
              You're aware that a Black Winter basically is a Distortion with helper mags, right?
              Yeah sure. They sound completely different.
              I bought them for you

Comment

I don't think they sound completely different. But it's definitely not just a Distortion with side magnets. The wire insulation is visibly different on the 'Winter. I think the BW is noticeably related to the Distortion, but unarguably not just a DD with more magnets.

Comment

I always thought they sounded different. The compression is about the same, and I am not into hotter compressed pickups, but the EQ to me is way different.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've always been interested in mixing ceramic spacers with an alnico main magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                      I've always been interested in mixing ceramic spacers with an alnico main magnet.
                      I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s a recipe for degaussing. The flanking magnets are opposing the center magnet. When together, they form a magnetic circuit by directing flux up the poles, but only even then, only the screw coil has a keeper bar. Ceramic won’t degauss in that circuit but the Alnico will change asymmetrically.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                        I don't think they sound completely different. But it's definitely not just a Distortion with side magnets. The wire insulation is visibly different on the 'Winter. I think the BW is noticeably related to the Distortion, but unarguably not just a DD with more magnets.
                        Yeah if I had to guess, it’s the wire from the Alternative 8, but that the similarities end there.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          The schecter apocalypse pickups are something like that IIRC,,,,or it might be the other way around.
                          I think I looked for specs awhile back on them and could not find any exacting info.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                            I wouldn’t recommend it, it’s a recipe for degaussing. The flanking magnets are opposing the center magnet. When together, they form a magnetic circuit by directing flux up the poles, but only even then, only the screw coil has a keeper bar. Ceramic won’t degauss in that circuit but the Alnico will change asymmetrically.
                            Thanks for your insights, Frank. Would you mind giving your views on how BKP does it with their Juggernaut? That pickup has two rows of screw polepieces, thus two keeper bars. Would that aid in solving the degaussing issue?

Comment

it would at least be symmetrical degaussing

Comment

Working...
                              X