banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do the "extra" ceramic magnets affect tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do the "extra" ceramic magnets affect tone?

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
    You're aware that a Black Winter basically is a Distortion with helper mags, right?
    nope

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
      Thanks for your insights, Frank. Would you mind giving your views on how BKP does it with their Juggernaut? That pickup has two rows of screw polepieces, thus two keeper bars. Would that aid in solving the degaussing issue?
      It closes the magnetic circuit and gives the flux a direct path. It’s a lot better but I still don’t like it. It’s even plausible that their C8 isn’t that much stronger than the fully charged A5. But it’s not about that, it’s the permanency of C8. And we’ll probably never know. I’m certainly not going to study it, and over time the changes will be so gradual that people probably won’t notice either. There was a time in the 70s and 80s when people first started to recharge their PAFs and were shocked at the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
        It closes the magnetic circuit and gives the flux a direct path. It’s a lot better but I still don’t like it. It’s even plausible that their C8 isn’t that much stronger than the fully charged A5. But it’s not about that, it’s the permanency of C8. And we’ll probably never know. I’m certainly not going to study it, and over time the changes will be so gradual that people probably won’t notice either. There was a time in the 70s and 80s when people first started to recharge their PAFs and were shocked at the difference.
        I recently made a ceramic flank fit a pegasus. I think it just made the screw coil louder despite me lowering the screws down all the way. The mojotone black magic is supposed to be an A5 with one ceramic flank as well. It has two screw coils each with a metal spacer. I’m not sure how they balance things unless the A5 only screw coil is maybe raised to make up for things. I’m still trying to make things work with my Pegasus. I think the key is a double thick A5 as that is supposed to lessen the degaussing. The juggernaut uses a double thick A5 I think.

Comment

Working...
        X