Unthreaded holes in humbuckers problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unthreaded holes in humbuckers problem

I have several Seymour Duncan humbuckers that have had the “legs” altered from the original threaded holes. On a couple, I drilled them out to screw directly into the guitar, and on others I shortened the legs to fit in a specific guitar that had shallow cavities. Now these pickups cannot be mounted in rings because the threads are gone and the holes are too big. I tried epoxying nuts onto the legs, but was was mostly unsuccessful. I wonder if anyone knows a trick or a part that could help with this.

I’m hopeful that when the Covid19 **** is over I can order new plates for the pickups, but right now Seymour Duncan is closed.

Re: Unthreaded holes in humbuckers problem

Usually I try solder to make threads by filling in the holes and tapping them back. If that doesn’t grab I solder threaded nuts to the legs by filing the nuts so the solder can grab, and leaving the mounting screw in the nut to line it up with and grab with pliers as it gets real hot.

Comment

Just super glue a couple nuts on there
      -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

ive always soldered a nut on the tab but you could actually get new baseplates if you wanna go whole hog

Comment

Working...
        X