banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried a Black Winter - to replace a Distortion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tried a Black Winter - to replace a Distortion...

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
    You won't like the Alt8, much spongier than a ceramic pickup with soft high. But strongly recommend you to look at the PA-TB 2, the Parallel Axis version of the Distortion.
    I have a 3rd guitar (Charvel San Dimas) with a JB in it, that I have setup for drop D. Was thinking of an Alternative 8 for that one (to replaced the JB, which I'm meh on at best). I do like the dynamics of the JB though, but that's about it.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
    Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

What do you want to improve on over the JB?

Comment

That rig you mentioned is definitely on the mid heavy side already, so it makes sense that you'd like the C5 and not the Black Winter.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Does anyone have experience with the Omega? Or is it awfully 'trebly' ? Hard to tell how accurate those charts are on the SD site. Although it doesn't look they make it in a trembucker spacing.

'19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
          Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

I currently have Distortions in a Jackson V, A Jackson DX10, a Dean Cadillac, and a Les Paul. Some are Duncan Designed, some USA. Love them all.

I want to like the Black Winter - but all descriptions of it say that it is either too similar to a distortion, or different in all the wrong ways for me.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by mi_canuck View Post
              I may give it another try. Thanks for the feedback.

Any experience with the Nazgul?

I've listened to the Keith Merrow Seymour vid like a hundred times (that riff is catchy ) but he's so downtuned that what he demoes doesn't always translate (although it helped me decide on trying the Custom 5).
              I had a Nazgul for quite a while and liked it way more than the BW. The Winter had an ice-pick frequency in it I couldn't get rid of either, without losing all the high end. If push came to shove, I'd take the Naz over the BW, but replaced the NAZ with a Custom that I love and the BW with an Elysian Trident II that I love even more.

The Naz was more stark/desolate sounding than the Winter, if that makes sense. I know there's a lot of Naz-haters out there, but for my tastes at least, it didn't have any of that harsh high end the BW has - but like you said, it could be the BW was designed for lower tunings and I stay in B, D or E standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron1 View Post
                The Naz was more stark/desolate sounding than the Winter, if that makes sense.
                Woah, we've hit a whole new level of abstract descriptions of pickup tones here. I have no idea what this means.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

I think that "stark/desolate" is synonymous with "sterile".
                  I also think that people who complain about "ice pick" tend to be younger and play alone more often than with other instruments in a live setting.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

In the roar of an engine, he lost everything, and became a shell of a man. A burnt-out, desolate man.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                      In the roar of an engine, he lost everything, and became a shell of a man. A burnt-out, desolate man.
                      I just watched that movie.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice
                        I bought them for you

Comment

The Black Winter is something I like, as I don't always use distortion. The Nazgul is pretty much only for distortion, and I don't think the clean tone is great, but that isn't what it is designed for. I pretty much play in standard tuning all the time and Plexi-amount of distortion is about the most I'd use. I realize neither is targeted to me, but the Black Winter will still work for me.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

OK - credit where credit was do. Perfectly dropped quote.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Success!!! Got something swapped in that I really like!!

I had a Full Shred lying around and had ordered fillister screws from Philadelphia Luthier to try out based on some suggestions I read either in another thread here or on the FB SD group. That is a screw swap. Hex screws are shorter, which apparently cuts and tightens the lows, and adds brightness. The longer filisters do the opposite. Figured worth a try, before doing magnet swaps or dropping yet more coin on more pickups.

In any case, I had nothing to lose as I had all the parts needed, and just happened to get the new Weller soldering iron I ordered from Amazon received a couple days early. (my 25W Radio Shack iron just was not cutting it).

Swapped both rows of hex screws for the fillisters. Then removed the Distortion back out and wired the Full Shred with fillisters in.

Went and played it for a good 45 minutes. Tone was definitely there. Lost that dry brittleness from the ceramic ones (Distortion and Black Winter both)... Also was much beefier in the low end and lost that shrill treble that the Full Shred initially had. BUT... there was just a bit of flubbiness and a tiny bit of sparkle missing from the highs.

So... took the upper row of fillisters back out and put the hex screws back in - figured top row is a little darker (further from bridge between the two coils). Screws swaps are easy as I didn't even have to loosen the strings back (something you think twice about on a Floyd equipped guitar lol).

Drum rollllllll.......

BOOM!!!! There it was!! Just the right amount of high end bite, and flubbiness was gone, yet still some nice tight lows, and great chuggs. Nice and scooped still as that is what I determined that I like (and also distaste in the BW). I must have played for like an hour and half... couldn't stop hahah.

So with that said... if you have a Full Shred that you hate, don't sell or throw it out just yet. Try a screw swap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0DC687FE-534C-4293-BCB7-3F845DA56632.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	5818643 Click image for larger version

Name:	3733A292-C5CF-427B-868F-2858A1C80442.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	5818644

Name:	97DA0587-2E98-4D4E-9F94-8F9843A7A559.jpg
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	5818645 Click image for larger version

Name:	68F07D8B-1B51-4FA2-B58A-7A53914E94FA.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	5818646

Name:	553EBCDD-A7A8-41C6-B618-16978089AB30.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	5818647 Click image for larger version

Name:	A876C07E-200D-49DB-AA60-24FD918D6116.jpg
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	5818650

Name:	7B86A218-A4F0-49D0-941D-357C4DBC2386.jpg
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	5818648 Click image for larger version

Name:	26A9EBAD-B7D4-4FD3-973B-1F73BC379C2C.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	5818649
                              Last edited by mi_canuck; 04-05-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Nice goin! Now swap in a double thick A5.
                                I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                                X