banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tried a Black Winter - to replace a Distortion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tried a Black Winter - to replace a Distortion...

Looks similar to the Screaming Demon.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent!
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        Nice goin! Now swap in a double thick A5.
        What would that do? Increase output? Would it change the EQ of the pickup?

--------------------------------------------------------------
        '19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
        Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

Increases output and makes it sound fuller without changing eq too much. The character from the mag type remains the same but there is a small change in tone - less clanky and more deep.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

It's interesting when I see so many people commenting about harsh high end or ice-pick tendencies with the Black Winter, I've used them in both downtuned guitars as well as standard tuning and I've never experienced that. However I tend to set my pickup height fairly low, so I wonder if that's part of why I haven't experienced this? Or maybe too many years of playing loud has given me high end hearing loss But yeah if you're a fan of pickups like the Custom 5 I can see how Nazgul or BW will not be to your liking.
            Really interested now in trying that screw swap on the Full Shred, I like that pickup but I'm very curious to see what kind of difference is made with that swap done!

Comment

Originally posted by RevDoom73 View Post
              It's interesting when I see so many people commenting about harsh high end or ice-pick tendencies with the Black Winter, I've used them in both downtuned guitars as well as standard tuning and I've never experienced that. However I tend to set my pickup height fairly low, so I wonder if that's part of why I haven't experienced this? Or maybe too many years of playing loud has given me high end hearing loss But yeah if you're a fan of pickups like the Custom 5 I can see how Nazgul or BW will not be to your liking.
              Really interested now in trying that screw swap on the Full Shred, I like that pickup but I'm very curious to see what kind of difference is made with that swap done!
              I hear that in the Nazgul, but not the BW.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I hear the Black Winter as more of a mid-focused pickup rather than a sizzly pickup like the Distortion. Then again, the Distortion might have a bit more low-end to counter that.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I hear the Black Winter as more of a mid-focused pickup rather than a sizzly pickup like the Distortion. Then again, the Distortion might have a bit more low-end to counter that.
                  The BW is indeed more middy.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Swap the magnet.
                    Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	92099170_10163658530775284_5435197434240172032_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	5818657

Did a Rutan with the SH-13
                      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Well things come full circle, ironically. So I had plans to set up this Jackson Soloist in D-standard. So finally got around to that yesterday. Went from 9.5-44 Ernies (for E-std) to 10.5-48 (D-std). Very similar tension. Online string tension calculator came in very handy! So very little messing with trem spring tension or any of that. Cool. Plugged in and hmmm... Sounded good still with the modded Full Shred, just a bit "weak". A bit looser too, which was somewhat expected going from E to D. Just didn't have the output or cut. Had to really dig in. So... my mind got thinking...

Having had a bit of practice soldering pickups in/out last week, I figured I have nothing to lose, I'll pop the Distortion TB-6 back in (which was the original pickup in this SL3). Well I guess what I disliked about it in E tuning, sort of goes away in D tuning. Not perfect but quite good actually. Super fun honestly. The Distortion isn't super mid heavy (although more than Custom 5 or Full Shred). But it's got so much balls, and upper mid cut, that once down-tuned I think it comes in very handy.

If I were to down-tune further, probably a different guitar, may give the Black Winter another try. For now it's in its box. The Distortion is in with D-standard for now. Modded Full Shred will stay that way, just will maybe put in something else in the future.

'19 Charvel DK24 HH - Chlorine Burst / '19 Jackson SL3 - Chlorine Burst / '20 Charvel San Dimas HH - Gloss Black
                        Marshall JCM800 20W head + SC212 cab / Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 1x10 Combo + Thiele 1x12

Comment

Yeah the Distortion in D standard kicks ass. I'm not sure I've even tried it in E standard to be honest.

There's a reason the new metal pickups from the past 10 years tend to be really bright and cutting: it's necessary for low tunings and it balances them out. Obviously the Distortion isn't new, just making that observation for the others.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s some D-standard Distortion (TB-6) riffage...

Last edited by mi_canuck; 04-10-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X