Bass 6 project?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass 6 project?

Thinking if I should make a bass 6. I'd just use a warmoth strat with a baritone conversion neck with roundwounds then tune it D3-D1. I don't play my p bass. Maybe I'd play the bass 6 since I'm guitar oriented these days? Or not lol!
    Yas
    66.67%
    No
    33.33%
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Bass 6 project?

I have always wanted a better made one of these. Ernie Ball used to make one but it was expensive.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool, so you think you'd use it? I could see myself coming up with different things and enjoying the ergonomics of a guitar more. Yeah, the Squier looks too cheap. Just a baritone warmoth should work fine for me. A .019" - .085" string set in my tuning would be around 15lbs of tension like my guitar sets. Or I could possibly go a little heavier.
      I bought them for you

Comment

A well designed Bass VI (that stays and plays in tune) would always get use from me. I've played a Schecter Hellcat that was tuned EADGBE and octave lower than guitar, and it was wonderful. It sounded so deep that you could use it as your only bass, and chords sounded wonderful on it.

Comment

Awesome
          I bought them for you

Comment

With that tuning, I'd go for the normal 30" Bass VI scale. The extra 1 inch plus in scale length will help quite a bit maintaining good string tension. A regular Bass VI has pretty loose strings, even tuned in E with a 30" scale. Shorten the scale AND lower the tuning, and it'll be a flop fest, with the indistinct notes and poor intonation to go along with it.

You can get 30" scale six string basses at Warmoth too.

The Bass VI is really a sub-octave guitar, FWIW. It's just a guitar an octave down. The four low strings cover the same range as a bass guitar, but the strings across the board are tuned in the same relationships as a guitar's. They have a general feel closer to the looser, skinnier feel of guitar strings than to the tighter, fatter feel of bass strings. Their tight string spacing makes typical bass guitar finger plucking technique hard to use. Not to mention the more guitar-like electronics and vibrato that Fender used.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 04-04-2020, 03:22 AM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Ibanez makes some great baritone guitars and long scale stuff.... but about 8 years they brought out one that was dynamite and made for only 2 years. I can't remember what they called it, it was only available in brown and it was priced quite affordably. Anyone recall it? I saw videos on YT....
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Agree on at least 30”. You’re talking D like drop D on a bass? On my 27.5” 8 string, F# (2nd fret on a bass low E) was floppy with a .064” but sounded good. With an .080 it felt good but sounded awful. 15 lbs on that long of a string sucks.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That's cuz ur spex don't equal 15lbs, they equal 13.5 and 19.5.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Here's the Ibanez I was talking about - the SRC6....

Lots of videos if you search.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

This is the Ernie Ball I was talking about...expensive, but it sounds great. This is the OLP version.

Comment

Those look great! Poplar? Oh noo!!
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Schecter Ultra and Hellcat VIs are great. I have an MIJ Fender Jaguar bass VI and a Schecter Ultra VI and I keep the Schecter out on a stand by my amp next to my favorite guitar.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            That's cuz ur spex don't equal 15lbs, they equal 13.5 and 19.5.
                            I also tried .070, .072, and .074. Wasn't happy with any of them, including when I'd drop the .080" down to F or E. The best compromise was to go too light, and play with a really light attack, but the ultimate solution for me was to sell the guitar.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Using higher strings is the solution for many "floppiness" and apparent tension issues. IMO, the average person has become accustomed, to running their strings very low. This doesn't work as well with thicker, looser strings on a shorter scale instrument. Raise your strings, and your setup becomes easier in a couple of ways, IME. The lighter the strings are, the higher I set them, in general.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              Yogi Berra was correct.
                              Originally posted by JOLLY
                              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X