Duncan Seth Lover Height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan Seth Lover Height?

I have had a set in my 20 year-old Les Paul Classic for 3 or 4 years and I like their tone in this guitar. What I have not figured out though is how to adjust them to get a really good “honky” middle switch position tone. I have Orange Drop caps and standard Gibby wiring with Gibson standard pots. Has any one with Seths in their Les Paul figures out how to get their idea of what the middle position should sound like and done it successfully?

Studioplayer

Re: Duncan Seth Lover Height?

There boat loads of threads which deal with that question. So first use the search function.
    IMO pickups with A2 magnets are not best starting point. But the concept is to get two close as possible sounding pickups. Start with the neck pup: on the high strings close to the strings, bass side lower than ring. The pole screws slightly curved to get an identical distance to the strings, but the g string flush. Then rise the bridge pup until same loudness as the neck.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I did not know this was a "thing"
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Can’t speak to Seths but the Antiquities are pretty close to them and I can speak to those.

And for me, that tone came with them set pretty close to Gibson’s recommenced specs. But it also seemed to come pretty naturally at whatever height, so if you can’t find it, it might be the guitar and not the pickups.

Comment

Mess with your tone and volume knobs when in the middle switch position.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Cheat, convert them to 4 conductor, and install spin o splits.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

This is what I do (YMMV). Fret the high and low E at the highest fret, measure 3/32" from top of pickups to bottom of string, except low E on the neck pickup, 1/8". Heads of adjustable poles above the bobbin/cover for a more midrange sound, below the cover/bobbins for a flatter sound. I also set the heads in a straight line like - - - - - -, or use the 1950's alternating V arrangement like \ / \ / \ /. Lately I've used straight line on the neck and V on the bridge. Still playing with it, IME it makes a very slight difference the average player might not notice.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                This is what I do (YMMV). Fret the high and low E at the highest fret, measure 3/32" from top of pickups to bottom of string, except low E on the neck pickup, 1/8". Heads of adjustable poles above the bobbin/cover for a more midrange sound, below the cover/bobbins for a flatter sound. I also set the heads in a straight line like - - - - - -, or use the 1950's alternating V arrangement like \ / \ / \ /. Lately I've used straight line on the neck and V on the bridge. Still playing with it, IME it makes a very slight difference the average player might not notice.
                My two Les Pauls have 1st string heights similar to yours. My neck pickups are below their respective rings and read about 1/4” away from the pole piece when strings are fretted at the last fret 6th string. I get a good tone from both neck pickups and both bridge pickups, but only one guitar has a really good middle position tone with decent character shades. I’m attributing that to guitar construction and how that relates to the guitars' pickups. I can live with that fact as long as each position individually performs as I want it to.

There have been some good ideas presented here, so I thank those of you who offered them.

Studioplayer
                Last edited by Studioplayer; 04-05-2020, 04:33 AM.

Comment

i find that rolling the volume down a touch on just one pup (which seems to depend on the guitar) adds a little honk to the sound

Comment

Working...
                  X