Compressor comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor comparison

I'm still learning how to use compressors. My Keeley seems to work the dynamics from both ends, squishing the peaks and raising the valleys. I'm guessing that's makeup gain? But the mooer only seems to tame the peaks. I don't get any increase in volume when I pick softly. Even with the comp knob maxed out I can't really crank the volume without going over unity gain. Is that due to the compression ratio or am I missing something?

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Re: Compressor comparison

#notmykeeley - What version is that?

Also - what is the Keeley modeled on? That may explain it.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
      #notmykeeley - What version is that?

Also - what is the Keeley modeled on? That may explain it.
      Uuuh, the latest one, I guess? That's the Comp Plus. Far as I know, they've been selling this version since 2017. Previously they had the silver colored 4 knob.

Based on the Ross compressor. Which according to what I've read was a copy of the MXR Dynacomp.

Skickat från min SM-G955F via Tapatalk
      Last edited by Coma; 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

You nailed it in your first three sentences. Having make up gain is what puts a compressed signal back up in the mix where it belongs. I have the Keeley GC-2 Limiting Amplifier for this very reason.

The Mooer is acting more like a basic leveler than a compressor; the Mooer would almost be better served set with minimal effect so that it only keeps spikes from happening in a clean sound but not for other compression effects.

Ironic that my Keeley compressor is called a leveling amp while the Mooer compressor behaves more like a leveler.

Comment

I figured the "Yellow comp" was a Ross.

Yeah - the Ross is a "Squash" effect type compressor

Keeley is a more all around, and of course that has a blend too. And it is really working all the compression - ration etc....off a single knob. Probably a really well voiced knob. Still.

Sus/Level/Attack/Clipping 4 knob is my preferred Keeley. I always want Attack & Sustain on my comps unless I'm doing some quash-style 80's clean parts

Sometimes I want the attack to come through, but boost the sustain, like on a weak Strat coil. Othertimes, don't care about sustain, but want to control the attack like on an acoustic or finger picked part. Or I might want to sot something in a narrow band, high attack and sustain. Might just wat a boost - not much of either...n
          Last edited by Aceman; 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I look for in a compressor to support single notes and level when doing chords a bit, in this way I feel support on single notes as well as being upfront and won't overdrive silly striking a chord. Or I can disengage if I want that for chords.

I found one I like a lot - Wampler Eco compressor. It has what I want in controls, same as you Keeley but also an attack knob. Color a bit to the warm side, but to my liking. Really well made in my view.

I tried and sent back a Warden v2 from Earthquake, but it colored too much and I could not do make up gain to keep same level as bypassed on settings I possibly could accept. But anybody has single coil might like it, since it color towards brittle. They say transparent with Tone at 11 o'clock but I found it close to acceptable at 8 o'clock and the rest was brittle but then I could not make up gain with Level so same as bypassed. But also has release knob which is useful too. But strange to me that making a thing on having hi grade components, but make it color so much.

I have EHX Blackfinger, which I found did not support not length and sustain at all. I could get close, but altered tone so much that unusable.

I am to try Keeley Pro as well when available. Seems they swapped distribution so delays on that.

But for sustain almost eBow style on single notes I find FreqOut from Digitech work really well. And you can get feedback overtones if you want too.

Comment

Working...
            X