banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bridge version Five Two used in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bridge version Five Two used in the neck?

Hey guys. What about a smoother and A BIT hotter neck pickup than the usual vintage/vintage-hot things? It was originally an antiquity texas hot set with custom bridge which i love but i couldn't live without that alnico 5 thing on the bass strings of the neck pickup through a slightly overdriven amp, i don't constantly need it but it's too beautiful to miss it. The surfer and the ssl-1 doesn't really do it for me as still generally too bright (generally both great pickups though and the tone is close to what i want). Maybe a flat ssl-2 will help, or a Five Two, or maybe a bridge version of the Five Two (yes, to use in the neck). Think of a bit hotter 60's neck pickup tone with smoother high strings. I don't know why i have a feeling that the bridge Five Two might work in the neck for what i think i want. It's a standard alder strat, maple fingerboard with 9.5" radius. Asking for help first because both my knowledge and my budget are WAAAY lower than my pickup obsession. Thanks a lot everyone.

Re: The bridge version Five Two used in the neck?

Also i would like to add that i play pretty thin strings, 9s or maximum 10s, so maybe something SLIGHTLY hotter wound (which is supposed to sound slightly warmer i guess) will compensate and eliminate the feeling of "thin" or too ice picky. I didn't realize this exact thing until now but maybe there is a pickup that would sound with 9s or 10s roughly the same way the surfers would sound with 12s. I know it doesn't work that way but maybe a compromise, or "as close as i can get" , you know. Please correct me in case it wouldn't work AT ALL this way and if it's total bu****it in a practical application. Also sorry for not perfect English. Thanks buds

Comment

ive used a 5/2 bridge pup in the neck i worked out great with the pups in the rest of the guitar. 5/2b neck, ssl1 middle, and a tapped 6.6k/9.6k a2 bridge pup. 250k mv & 250k mt.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
        ive used a 5/2 bridge pup in the neck i worked out great with the pups in the rest of the guitar. 5/2b neck, ssl1 middle, and a tapped 6.6k/9.6k a2 bridge pup. 250k mv & 250k mt.
        Great! What string gauge did you use with that setup? How was the tone compared to a normal neck SSL1? Thanks

Comment

i use 11's on everything. little darker and warmer than a ssl1 in the neck but still a nice clear defined note on the low strings, not mushy at all.

Comment

The Five Two is one hell of a pickup, and I use 9s on my Strats. I see no reason why a bridge one in the neck wouldn't sound wonderful.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think i'll try the bridge five two in the neck with a ssl-1 in the middle as well. Maybe a flat ssl-2 so i can swap them and try it in the neck at one point

Comment

i used an ssl1 since the 5/2 is staggered and prefer to have the pups on a guitar match in that way if i can. i do prefer flat over all though

Comment

Working...
                X