NBGD - Surprise and Dismay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBGD - Surprise and Dismay

Here's what came in the mail about 2 hours ago....

It's supposed to be one of those Chinese Strandberg copies with a fan fretted neck and a horrible TransTrem copy.

The Squeebay page said it was damaged, but showed the neck....
    Instead it was this...

I bought this pretty cheaply, but even if it wasn't damaged - it would be a wreck. The neck is bent backwards and the truss rod doesn't seem to be working. Someone already removed the neck and drilled new mounting holes in it with a nail or something. Total butch job.

I have no idea how the bridge came to be in such a position, and I haven't yet figured out the whammy system is even mounted. There are no visible mounting screws.

I have asked for a complete refund on what I am calling the Wuhan Virus Special. Most of it should be tossed in the nearest trashcan.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: NBGD - Surprise and Dismay

damaged before the sale, then damaged in shipping too? that box is atrocious.
    Last edited by DankStar; 04-04-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

The seller says China, but the return address on the box is Staten Island, NY.

Comment

So seller is in China and any returns go to Staten Island, the port of entry? "We no take you return. It you problem now. Just put face mask on. It sound better and you no see defect."

Comment

Wow, that really is a mess. Return? Or is it fixable?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Wow, that really is a mess. Return? Or is it fixable?
            I asked for a refund. As for fixable, first I have to figure out how to take the bridge off. The neck came off easily - it has 8 holes in the neck, and 6 in the body.

Comment

Update: Seller offered to send me a new guitar, with pictures first to prove it's not damaged..... (yeah, that worked last time - right?).

I finally got the bridge off... and then disassembled the bridge. Someone has been inside it already to try to fix some of the broken parts. Tuner springs replaced with stuff out of fountain pens, etc.

After studying the seller's feedback, I think I have it figured out. This factory damaged guitar was sent from China to Staten Island. The buyer tried to fix it, but didn't know how. In frustration, he asked for another guitar. He then packed this unfortunate guitar up, doing a horrible job of it, and the seller issued a "will call" to have it drop shipped to me from New York. On the way - it got trashed AGAIN, and the poor packing job allowed more damage. Sound reasonable?

The instrument is now laying in multiple pieces on my bench, and it has occurred to me that I should check the electronics to see if they operate.
              Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-05-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Is there anything you can salvage from it? Care to take a pic of all the pieces?

Comment

Here are the parts of this ridiculously engineered bridge.....
                  The parts on the right, are upside down - are mounted onto the plate of the middle portion with the saddles.
                  The far left is the frame which is screwed onto the body.
                  The whole shebang is held together by the long screw (with the big knob) threaded through the big spring (which is bent from being dropped). When assembled, you cannot tell what holds the complete whammy system to the body.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    Here are the parts of this ridiculously engineered bridge.....
                    The parts on the right, are upside down - are mounted onto the plate of the middle portion with the saddles.
                    The far left is the frame which is screwed onto the body.
                    The whole shebang is held together by the long screw (with the big knob) threaded through the big spring (which is bent from being dropped). When assembled, you cannot tell what holds the complete whammy system to the body.

https://imgur.com/6OlYCi8
                    Wow, that looks like hell.

Comment

heres a new one from Aliexpress

EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

What did it look like when you bought it? I know you said it was cheap., but why did you buy this in the first place?
                        -=The Dali
                        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

The photos of the auction page showed what appeared to be a new guitar, with only a small gap between the neck and the body (which could be easily fixed by doweling the holes in the neck and redrilling). It did NOT show the bridge all jacked up, and all the dings and bent metal parts. The strings were flopping right out of the box, not so on the photos.

As for your second question - I think you answered it yourself. I made a dirt cheap bid, and won. And if the seller wasn't shining me on - I'll get another new guitar within the week.... Thus having TWO guitars for the same money. Eventually, I can fix the broken one...

Here's the photo from the auction page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	5818654
                          Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-06-2020, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I was looking at a purple one like that on the Aliexpress site last month
                            it was only $145 new
                            and the Aliexpress site is the manufacturer
                            they will customize it for next to nothing

would you like the link?

just asking
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Thanks, but I only bid on it to try out the fan fretted neck. This thing is strung with eights!!! If I can resurrect it, I'll have to put some tens on it.

I think this one came from there, but the seller had some stupid name that sounded like a women's fashion boutique. In the little bag of allen wrenches there was a card from Ali Express....
                              Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-06-2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X