NBGD - Surprise and Dismay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NBGD - Surprise and Dismay

It has turned into a comedy show now.... The seller has been trying to refund to my Paypal account, and told me it wouldn't accept - so please wait while he restarted his computer. Then he made a partial refund (forgot about the fees), and he's trying again. If he wasn't such an incompetent liar, I'd feel sorry for him. Guess I'll have to attempt certain repairs to this wretched thing... I'll just add it to the stack of work in the spare bedroom.

P.S. After 3 attempts, he finally got the correct amount on my refund. So then I messed with him and said we should talk about feedback now.... No response yet.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-07-2020, 06:39 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Well you've been made whole again
      Its looking better now

You have a link for a new bridge
      And you have the skills to put the woods back together

Worst case

Send us pictures of the fire
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Send us pictures of the fire
        You so funny. Not.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          You so funny. Not.
          You so chill. Not.

Comment

You so chill. Not.
            Yes, my curmudgeonliness is quite intense. I do not apologize for it.

Comment

Okay - I had some space yesterday between doing refrets and touch-ups and grabbed that crazy thing to see what it really needed. I popped the neck, and headed to the drill press. Cut some maple plugs with a 5/8" plug cutter (8 screw holes in the neck, remember?). Glued them in. Was going to pull the weird locking nut, and found out it was epoxied to the end of the neck. Grabbed my little travel iron, and heated it up until the epoxy softened. Cleaned that off the neck and the locknut, then test fitted it.... The shelf was too long, so I filed about a 16th off, keeping it square. Fit much better after screwing it back down. Drilled the new neck screw holes, and remounted the neck solidly on the body.

Strung it up with 10's instead of those 8's that were on it (spare set of strings in the plastic bag of wrenches, etc.). The locking nut has individual set screws for clamping, and then 3 Floyd style screws with clamps to keep the strings in the slots. Remember - it has a zero fret! Had a high fret around the 10th, and a low one around the 17th. Did a quickie spot level and polished out all the frets. They look and feel like Dunlop 6100 ultra high jumbos. These are tall.... Got it tuned up to pitch - remind me to make a tool to tune it with. Those knobs are too close together, but an allen wrench turns them easily.

Plugged it into the TU-3 to check the intonation..... Moved all the saddles back, and they are still sharp except for the treble E. Several ways to rectify that problem, will think on it. Okay - strap it on and plug into the Marshall. Clean channel - YE GODS, this thing is trebly. The humbuckers are on the spicy side and sound like hot single coils. Not much bottom end at all. In the middle position it's out of phase - great for chicken pickin or funk. OK, add some dirt.... Very crunchy tone, but still way trebly - just icepick sharp. Rolling off the tone just muddies it up, not cool. The sound is pleasing with distortion, but it's not fat at all - djent is out of the question.

Well, it's almost time for lunch, and I'll come back to this subject at a later time. Conclusion: Not bad for a free guitar, but I don't know if I'll keep it. That zero fret really throws me off when I slide down to first position chords.... Had no trouble at all with the fanned frets, barely even noticed.

Comment

Fanned frets are pretty easy to get used to, but I don't know if I hear the benefit on a regular 6 string, or even 7 string. I do hear and feel a difference on a 5 string bass. But I think it is one of those 'trickle down' upgrades we see coming from expensive extended range instruments.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                X