59/Custom Hybrid Buzz(?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 59/Custom Hybrid Buzz(?)

I have read that the mis-matched coils of the 59/Custom Hybrid makes it prone to noise & buzzing. I never realized how much until I played my 59/Custom equipped guitar back to back with my regular ‘Custom’ equipped guitar. The buzz in the 59/Custom Hybrid had nothing to do with whether or not I was touching the strings, but would get louder or quieter depending on where I stood in relation to my amp and whether my guitar was hanging normally (perpendicular to the amp) or laying flat across my lap (horizontal to the amp). Horizontal was always noticeably quieter. It almost behaved like a single coil equipped strat. But I had NONE of these ‘positional’ buzz issues with my other guitars. Is this the additional noise that is inherent in the mis-matched coil design of the 59/Custom hybrid? If so, I will likely swap something different in my hybrid equipped guitar. Once you notice the noise in back to back comparison with another guitar, it’s all you can hear from that moment on...

Re: 59/Custom Hybrid Buzz(?)

I had the 59/hybrid in my start and there was no buzzing like you described. I found it as quiet as any other humbuckers I had used.

Comment

I don't notice buzz in my hybrids in series. Only when I use my spin a splits. I do as good a job at shielding and grounding as I possibly can tho.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

I have a few of them, and none of them buzz like you are describing. Can you record it? It might be a tiny bit noisier than a matched coil pickup, but just a tiny bit.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Interesting - Last night I swapped in a Custom that I had on my parts shelf, guitar is just dead quiet.

Comment

My 59/C doesn’t buzz anything extreme like that. I’d have to have high gain and a compressor on before I could get that kind of noticeable buzz, but at that point I can get any Humbucker to give up some noise.

Comment

No significant buzz with my 59/C, either in HB or split.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the Hybrid in the bridge of my Les Paul, and it's not buzzy or hummy. Could be something is off the way it's wired. Can you provide any pics of the control cavity when it's wired up?

Comment

Since it's a 4-conductor, it is possible the red/white wires are not properly connected or may be shorting out on the back of a pot or something. That would cause a 60 cycle hum (though it would also cause weaker output than you'd generally expect from that pickup).

I would check those red/white wires and ensure they are properly taped off and not touching anything else in the control cavity.

Comment

One Church I play in is extreme with the RF interference. There I have had noise issues with Hybrids in several guitars but it's an extreme situation. Yes they are a little more susceptible to hum in very extreme situations with a high gain amp.but have not had any real issues with them in most places.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                    X