Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Tone Member

Default Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Good day,

I'm in the market for a PRS-ish HH guitar, but frankly do not want to spend the $4K-$5K on a new Core model. I was doing some reading up and I found another brand, Kiesel, who will do something very similar to what I want as far as finish and what-not.

This being said, if I can find a used PRS Core model, I would not mind that if I can find one in my price range, which is about $2200.
    As far as the more personal specifics, I'm looking for a doublecut with an HH pickup configuration, somewhere between 24.5" to 25" scale length with a medium blue quilted maple top (aesthetic choice) preferably without a tremolo since I hardly use them, and a set neck. For those of you who are knowledgeable about both, which you would recommend and why?

Thanks,
    GreatOz
    Last edited by GreatOz; 04-04-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

I want a Kiesel too

and I do love me some blue quilt

and like their double cuts

I would get the Piezo bridge if available as well

I vote Kiesel
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

tonewood instigator

PRS McCartys are some of the best guitars you'll ever play. Paul Reed Smith reached out to Ted McCarty, the president of Gibson during it's golden age, for design tips about how he could improve his guitar designs. As a tribute he designed a guitar that would essentially be the crossroads between a PRS and a vintage Gibson.

Definitely go PRS, I played one of their P90 Goldtop models (sub-$2k) and it blew me away.
    If I only had a dollar for every song I've sung
    every time I had to play while people sat there drunk,

id go prs for sure. the mccarty is a great guitar all around. kiesel is nice to but i dont like their neck shapes, or headstocks really but that wouldnt be enough for me to not buy a guitar on its own

Tone Member

I am definitely considering the McCarty models. I had even thought about getting a Whale Blue S2 McCarty 594 new, but the finish is just too dark for me, something like aquamarine is more what I'm looking for.

The big issue with a used Core model is finding one with the finish I want in my price range. I'm not planning on making a purchase for a while anyway, so hopefully something will pop up.

if you know what you want and arent in a rush, put the money aside so when the right guitar for the right price pops up you can jump on it

Tone Member

I had the exact same thought. We'll see what happens.

Another vote for PRS. Besides the fact that it doesn't inspire the hate Kiesel does on forums, you should be able to find the right PRS used or new at that price, and it won't lose 3/4th of the value when you take it out of the box.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

I'm a fan of Carvin/Kiesel, but I would give the edge to PRS also. I'm just going to leave these 3 beauties here for you:

https://reverb.com/item/32817537-201...ded-whale-blue

https://reverb.com/item/31722492-prs-mccarty-22-10-top

https://reverb.com/item/33015750-pau...e-ser-s2043263

Tone Member

*Added to the watch list*

Also, that S2 is one of the brighter Whale Blue shades that I've seen in an S2 McCarty.
    Last edited by GreatOz; 04-05-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chistopher View Post
    PRS McCartys are some of the best guitars you'll ever play. Paul Reed Smith reached out to Ted McCarty, the president of Gibson during it's golden age, for design tips about how he could improve his guitar designs. As a tribute he designed a guitar that would essentially be the crossroads between a PRS and a vintage Gibson.

Definitely go PRS, I played one of their P90 Goldtop models (sub-$2k) and it blew me away.
    Ted McCarty didn't even play guitar though. I don't know why his name is worth so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Another vote for PRS. Besides the fact that it doesn't inspire the hate Kiesel does on forums, you should be able to find the right PRS used or new at that price, and it won't lose 3/4th of the value when you take it out of the box.
    Kiesel resale value is not that bad anymore. Pretty similar to PRS probably.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

i kinda find that hard to believe but i dont really care for either so dont look all that much. jim marshall was a drummer... doesnt take anything away from the fact he had one of the best amp companies and some of the most iconic amps of all time. same with leo fender, he never played guitar either but all three of his companies seem to have done well

tonewood instigator

Quote Originally Posted by bigcupholder View Post
    Ted McCarty didn't even play guitar though. I don't know why his name is worth so much.
    I mean, neither was Leo Fender, but I can't even imagine where we'd be without him.
    If I only had a dollar for every song I've sung
    every time I had to play while people sat there drunk,

I played a few Kiesels and Carvins I found in music stores- they all felt like Schecter Diamond Series imports in the $1,000 range.

I have Gibsons, one PRS KL 1812 and a wood library Custom 24. The PRS plays circles around everything and is the most comfy to play. IMO you’re better off shopping around for a used core PRS. They can be had for $1600-$2000

Either way just make sure it's from a seller with a good return policy. Used guitars online are always a gamble.
    IMO Carvin used to make some of the best bang for the buck guitars, especially if you spent the $ on function more than form.
    Their base prices have increased quite a bit since the name change, although many things are standard now like stainless frets and matching headstocks.
    Today they are really specializing on the fancy stuff which takes them up to high-end PRS and Gibson prices.

I'd vote for the used PRS.

I got a used Custom 24 ten top for well under 2K USD (I'm in Canada, so I paid 2200 CDN). It is really a faultless instrument, build wise. And if you get a good deal on the McCarty, you can easily flip it for what you paid if you don't bond with it.

Depreciation is your friend when you buy used, and your enemy when you buy new.

Tone Member

Thanks for all the advice, for now I'm planning on going with the used PRS Core McCarty or PRS Custom 22 for many of the reasons y'all stated.

Own both one PRS Custom 24 and 6 Kiesels. Prefer the Kiesels for several reasons. First the Stainless frets are standard even on a bottom of the line Kiesel but would be a custom shop order on a PRS. I will NEVER buy another new guitar with standard frets that is above say $800. Sick of having to rotate a guitar I really like to keep the fret wear down. Own 3 Carvin Kiesels with SS frets BTW.
    Kiesels have superior fret work and also the fit and finish is the best I have ever seen. Even my pretty much basic 2017 Kiesel DC is just perfection utterly flawless!!
    Both are very nice guitars but IMO even if they were the same $ I think the Kiesels are just better instruments. Add that new a Kiesel CT624 is much less expensive than a PRS Custom 24 and have a MUCH better top normally the finishes are just the best in the industry and superior to PRS, add more options at less $ and it makes this a no brainer. PS a new Kiesel bought today is also retaining it's value better in the used market than a PRS Gibson or Fender by FAR as long as you don't do some thing crazy with the options. This is a BIG change from just a few years ago. Kiesel only builds about 5000 guitars a year by choice because that is as many as they want to build to keep the quality where it is. Been playing Carvin /Kiesel guitars since the early 1990's and owned more of them than I can count.
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-06-2020 at 04:14 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdwuld View Post
    I want a Kiesel too

and I do love me some blue quilt

and like their double cuts
    l
    Here is a nice Blue Candy Quilt top Kiesel CT 6 for you. Thinking seriously about doing a hardtail CT 624 build with the Holdsworth 4/2 head-stock ( I HATE the new Kiesel head-stocks!!) in Candy Blue,Red or Purple Quilt in the next year or so. Coming in at around $2500 the way I want it optioned ( Hardtail, Mahogany body and neck, Candy Quilt Top and Headstock, Natural Mahogany back and neck, Thin neck profile, ebony board w 14 radius, SS Med Jumbo frets, Abalone diamond inlays and headstock Logo,the Holdsworth 2x4 head-stock, my pickups installed and black hardware) shipped in the Black Hardcase. A PRS that would even be on the same planet would have to be one of the wood library guitars and you would be looking at well over $5K at the least.
    Name:  ct6x-koa-swt-h33-eph-r12-ikd-ia-efb-evo-gl-pcg-ppg-bpe-tce-gl-7agradetop-bluecandytopandneck-131.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  158.1 KB
    Last edited by Ascension; 04-06-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Tone Member

The funny thing is if I do decide to go with Kiesel, that is pretty-much my build, only with 22 frets. I don't really want another guitar with a tremolo. My Strat is my #1 and I like it on that specific guitar, but kinda don't like trems otherwise. They're not bad, just not my thing.