banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Good day,

I'm in the market for a PRS-ish HH guitar, but frankly do not want to spend the $4K-$5K on a new Core model. I was doing some reading up and I found another brand, Kiesel, who will do something very similar to what I want as far as finish and what-not.

This being said, if I can find a used PRS Core model, I would not mind that if I can find one in my price range, which is about $2200.
    As far as the more personal specifics, I'm looking for a doublecut with an HH pickup configuration, somewhere between 24.5" to 25" scale length with a medium blue quilted maple top (aesthetic choice) preferably without a tremolo since I hardly use them, and a set neck. For those of you who are knowledgeable about both, which you would recommend and why?

Thanks,
    GreatOz
    Last edited by GreatOz; 04-04-2020, 10:22 PM.

Re: Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

I want a Kiesel too

and I do love me some blue quilt

and like their double cuts

I would get the Piezo bridge if available as well

I vote Kiesel
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

PRS McCartys are some of the best guitars you'll ever play. Paul Reed Smith reached out to Ted McCarty, the president of Gibson during it's golden age, for design tips about how he could improve his guitar designs. As a tribute he designed a guitar that would essentially be the crossroads between a PRS and a vintage Gibson.

Definitely go PRS, I played one of their P90 Goldtop models (sub-$2k) and it blew me away.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

id go prs for sure. the mccarty is a great guitar all around. kiesel is nice to but i dont like their neck shapes, or headstocks really but that wouldnt be enough for me to not buy a guitar on its own

Comment

I am definitely considering the McCarty models. I had even thought about getting a Whale Blue S2 McCarty 594 new, but the finish is just too dark for me, something like aquamarine is more what I'm looking for.

The big issue with a used Core model is finding one with the finish I want in my price range. I'm not planning on making a purchase for a while anyway, so hopefully something will pop up.

Comment

if you know what you want and arent in a rush, put the money aside so when the right guitar for the right price pops up you can jump on it

Comment

I had the exact same thought. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Another vote for PRS. Besides the fact that it doesn't inspire the hate Kiesel does on forums, you should be able to find the right PRS used or new at that price, and it won't lose 3/4th of the value when you take it out of the box.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm a fan of Carvin/Kiesel, but I would give the edge to PRS also. I'm just going to leave these 3 beauties here for you:

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.

Exc cond 10 top birds Mcarty. Exc overall with case ect . please ask questions for more pictures CUM2FTHF IBS_BM_ND-D5 Model: Custom 22/24 Top Wood: Maple Frets: 22 Top Spec: Figured Maple Top Grade: Ten Top Neck Wood: Mahogany Neck Carve: Pattern (Wide/Fat) Fingerboard Wood: East Indian ...

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.

Comment

*Added to the watch list*

Also, that S2 is one of the brighter Whale Blue shades that I've seen in an S2 McCarty.
                    Last edited by GreatOz; 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      PRS McCartys are some of the best guitars you'll ever play. Paul Reed Smith reached out to Ted McCarty, the president of Gibson during it's golden age, for design tips about how he could improve his guitar designs. As a tribute he designed a guitar that would essentially be the crossroads between a PRS and a vintage Gibson.

Definitely go PRS, I played one of their P90 Goldtop models (sub-$2k) and it blew me away.
                      Ted McCarty didn't even play guitar though. I don't know why his name is worth so much.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      Another vote for PRS. Besides the fact that it doesn't inspire the hate Kiesel does on forums, you should be able to find the right PRS used or new at that price, and it won't lose 3/4th of the value when you take it out of the box.
                      Kiesel resale value is not that bad anymore. Pretty similar to PRS probably.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

i kinda find that hard to believe but i dont really care for either so dont look all that much. jim marshall was a drummer... doesnt take anything away from the fact he had one of the best amp companies and some of the most iconic amps of all time. same with leo fender, he never played guitar either but all three of his companies seem to have done well

Comment

Originally posted by bigcupholder View Post
                          Ted McCarty didn't even play guitar though. I don't know why his name is worth so much.
                          I mean, neither was Leo Fender, but I can't even imagine where we'd be without him.
                          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I played a few Kiesels and Carvins I found in music stores- they all felt like Schecter Diamond Series imports in the $1,000 range.

I have Gibsons, one PRS KL 1812 and a wood library Custom 24. The PRS plays circles around everything and is the most comfy to play. IMO you’re better off shopping around for a used core PRS. They can be had for $1600-$2000

Comment

Either way just make sure it's from a seller with a good return policy. Used guitars online are always a gamble.
                              IMO Carvin used to make some of the best bang for the buck guitars, especially if you spent the $ on function more than form.
                              Their base prices have increased quite a bit since the name change, although many things are standard now like stainless frets and matching headstocks.
                              Today they are really specializing on the fancy stuff which takes them up to high-end PRS and Gibson prices.

Comment

Working...
                              X