banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

I'd vote for the used PRS.

I got a used Custom 24 ten top for well under 2K USD (I'm in Canada, so I paid 2200 CDN). It is really a faultless instrument, build wise. And if you get a good deal on the McCarty, you can easily flip it for what you paid if you don't bond with it.

Depreciation is your friend when you buy used, and your enemy when you buy new.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice, for now I'm planning on going with the used PRS Core McCarty or PRS Custom 22 for many of the reasons y'all stated.

Comment

Own both one PRS Custom 24 and 6 Kiesels. Prefer the Kiesels for several reasons. First the Stainless frets are standard even on a bottom of the line Kiesel but would be a custom shop order on a PRS. I will NEVER buy another new guitar with standard frets that is above say $800. Sick of having to rotate a guitar I really like to keep the fret wear down. Own 3 Carvin Kiesels with SS frets BTW.
        Kiesels have superior fret work and also the fit and finish is the best I have ever seen. Even my pretty much basic 2017 Kiesel DC is just perfection utterly flawless!!
        Both are very nice guitars but IMO even if they were the same $ I think the Kiesels are just better instruments. Add that new a Kiesel CT624 is much less expensive than a PRS Custom 24 and have a MUCH better top normally the finishes are just the best in the industry and superior to PRS, add more options at less $ and it makes this a no brainer. PS a new Kiesel bought today is also retaining it's value better in the used market than a PRS Gibson or Fender by FAR as long as you don't do some thing crazy with the options. This is a BIG change from just a few years ago. Kiesel only builds about 5000 guitars a year by choice because that is as many as they want to build to keep the quality where it is. Been playing Carvin /Kiesel guitars since the early 1990's and owned more of them than I can count.
        Last edited by Ascension; 04-06-2020, 05:14 PM.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
          I want a Kiesel too

and I do love me some blue quilt

and like their double cuts
          l
          Here is a nice Blue Candy Quilt top Kiesel CT 6 for you. Thinking seriously about doing a hardtail CT 624 build with the Holdsworth 4/2 head-stock ( I HATE the new Kiesel head-stocks!!) in Candy Blue,Red or Purple Quilt in the next year or so. Coming in at around $2500 the way I want it optioned ( Hardtail, Mahogany body and neck, Candy Quilt Top and Headstock, Natural Mahogany back and neck, Thin neck profile, ebony board w 14 radius, SS Med Jumbo frets, Abalone diamond inlays and headstock Logo,the Holdsworth 2x4 head-stock, my pickups installed and black hardware) shipped in the Black Hardcase. A PRS that would even be on the same planet would have to be one of the wood library guitars and you would be looking at well over $5K at the least.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	ct6x-koa-swt-h33-eph-r12-ikd-ia-efb-evo-gl-pcg-ppg-bpe-tce-gl-7agradetop-bluecandytopandneck-131.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	5818660
          Last edited by Ascension; 04-06-2020, 06:04 PM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The funny thing is if I do decide to go with Kiesel, that is pretty-much my build, only with 22 frets. I don't really want another guitar with a tremolo. My Strat is my #1 and I like it on that specific guitar, but kinda don't like trems otherwise. They're not bad, just not my thing.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
              Good day,

I'm in the market for a PRS-ish HH guitar, but frankly do not want to spend the $4K-$5K on a new Core model. I was doing some reading up and I found another brand, Kiesel, who will do something very similar to what I want as far as finish and what-not.

This being said, if I can find a used PRS Core model, I would not mind that if I can find one in my price range, which is about $2200.
              As far as the more personal specifics, I'm looking for a doublecut with an HH pickup configuration, somewhere between 24.5" to 25" scale length with a medium blue quilted maple top (aesthetic choice) preferably without a tremolo since I hardly use them, and a set neck. For those of you who are knowledgeable about both, which you would recommend and why?

Thanks,
              GreatOz
              I have a 2000 PRS CUSTOM 24 I would sell, it is a dark purple quilt, purchase new ,very nice playing & looking guitar , I only played it for about 6 months =1 x per week , , I looked for the color for a long time before finding it, but didn't have a clue that it is a 25 '' scale, I have always played 24 3/4 '' and I have fret hand injuries , so it just sat in the case till 2010 till I loaned it to DON BARNES from 38 SPECIAL when he flew in to do a benefit , put it back in the case where is has been since, , just thought I would put it out there , good luck on finding what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by rammer69 View Post
                I have a 2000 PRS CUSTOM 24 I would sell, it is a dark purple quilt, purchase new ,very nice playing & looking guitar , I only played it for about 6 months =1 x per week , , I looked for the color for a long time before finding it, but didn't have a clue that it is a 25 '' scale, I have always played 24 3/4 '' and I have fret hand injuries , so it just sat in the case till 2010 till I loaned it to DON BARNES from 38 SPECIAL when he flew in to do a benefit , put it back in the case where is has been since, , just thought I would put it out there , good luck on finding what you want.
                Thank you for letting me know, but for the moment, I'm going to wait for now.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                  The funny thing is if I do decide to go with Kiesel, that is pretty-much my build, only with 22 frets. I don't really want another guitar with a tremolo. My Strat is my #1 and I like it on that specific guitar, but kinda don't like trems otherwise. They're not bad, just not my thing.
                  That photo was a regular CT6 and a 22 fretter. I am used to a 24 fret DC and my 07 Custom 24 so--. Call Chris Hong over at Kiesel and chat with him on a build. Tell him Richard the guy with the Pink X 220 from Birmingham told you to call him. Just ran a pretty cool build on a CT6 with the hard tail in a flame top that was close to the specs I sent and it came in right at $2K with the hardshell case. If you don't go to nutty with options you can build a super nice mahogany neck and body flame top CT6 for between $1800 and 2100. Add say $300 or so for quilt and maybe a little more for a custom color like the candies.
                  Guitars

Comment

Ended up going overbudget (lol, I can still afford it), but I went with a PRS McCarty 594 Semi-Hollow in River Blue.

Comment

ha! post pics when ya have it. betcha its sweet

Comment

I'll post pics as soon as I get it in the mail for sure.

Comment

Oh that sounds nice
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I bet you love it, congrats on making a decision. Definitely post pictures once you get it!

Comment

As a side note, I notice that Kiesel does a lot of those 'shop walkthru' videos on Facebook lately...and they should be closed, shouldn't they?
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

not everywhere is closed
                                some of the mills around here are still open

and those videos may be older footage that they are just now getting around to editing
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X