banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Used PRS Core McCarty or new Kiesel CT6?

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
    not everywhere is closed
    some of the mills around here are still open

and those videos may be older footage that they are just now getting around to editing
    Yeah, I thought that, too..but he is reacting in real time to comments, and he is in California, which has some of the most strict SAH rules. I don't think a guitar company counts as essential.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

he may live there
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
        Thanks for all the advice, for now I'm planning on going with the used PRS Core McCarty or PRS Custom 22 for many of the reasons y'all stated.
        I have never been excited by any PRS McCarty I've played. But I do own two Custom 22's. I play them all the time. They're my two favorites of my electric guitars.

However, mine both came with the Dragon II pickups and the 5 way rotary switch.

I felt that the PRS pickups were too strong for the 50's Les Paul (Duane Allman, Clapton, Beck...) kind of tone I was after.

I replaced the Dragon II's with Duncan Antiquitys and the 5 way rotary with a conventional 3 way selector switch like the McCarty uses.

My recommendation would be to shop for a used Custom 22 for a great price. Then do the pickup swap I did.
        Last edited by Lewguitar; 04-16-2020, 03:24 PM.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I only took one picture so far.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	mccartyhome-smaller.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	5818826
          The next day that it is clear outside, I will take more that will really do the guitar justice. I don't have enough light inside lol

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104323[/ATTACH]
            The next day that it is clear outside, I will take more that will really do the guitar justice. I don't have enough light inside lol
            Wow, that is amazing!! Hows the sound? How would you compare the sound to something like a 335?
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

To be honest, I don't have much experience with 335s. The sound IS top-tier though.

I'm digging the semi-hollow which is one of the reasons I bought it; it has maybe a slightly breathier sound (slightly mid-scooped) to it compared to other HH solid body instruments that I've had/played, but that may be due to the pickups. Normally, I would replace pickups at some point, but I don't feel the need to or want to with this guitar. I think the pickups, which are the 58/15 LTs, are good as is. My Warmoth Strat, which has STKs (S7 neck, S4M middle, and S6 bridge), actually keeps up volume-wise, something I was very surprised about, so I guess I won't need a pedal to push the Strat's output up to match it.

It is a good contrast with the Strat and they complement each other very well, which is exactly what I wanted them to do. One of the things this really taught me is how good of an instrument the Strat is. It easily competes with the McCarty for sound and playability; the McCarty does have the better finish though. I wouldn't say either is "better" than the other, at least in my mind, it's more like they're both fantastic instruments, but truly excel at different things. The McCarty is smooth and sweet, but the Strat is more expressive and responsive. All in all, I really like this guitar and will hang on to it.

Also, the McCarty is LIGHT. Maybe 6 pounds. It's lighter than the Strat is lol.
              Last edited by GreatOz; 04-17-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Oh I got wood
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wow, nice guitar! Congrats.
                  I played a semi-hollow PRS SE Custom 22 last November. I really like it, doesn't sound like a 335 at all, more like a breathier solid body. 85/15s pickups sounded very good also.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]104323[/ATTACH]

That is damned sexy!
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Kiesel is a leader in innovation. So Kiesel.
                      ooppss so you made your call.... well .. i wish you well played man! looks nice
                      Last edited by greekdude; 04-19-2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Weather cleared up for a few more pictures outside. Here are the good ones.

Enjoy!

Name:	my-mccarty-8_smaller.jpg
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	5818839

Name:	my-mccarty-13_smaller.jpg
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	5818840

Name:	my-mccarty-7_smaller.jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	5818841

Name:	my-mccarty-14_smaller.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	5818842

Comment

beautiful guitar man! if it sounds and plays half as good as it looks, its a keeper

Comment

It does, plays like butter and sounds incredible. Honestly, now that I've had a few days to play it and learn its quirks, I'm liking it more and more.

Comment

The 58/15 LT’s in the 594’s are great pickups, I would say much better than anything Gibson makes, and probably better than all but the custom shop Duncan’s. They are only 7.6-7.7kish output but still sound thick enough in the bridge and very clear in the neck.

Spend the time dialing in the pickup heights, I found the bridge needs to be much higher than the neck to balance the output. The neck split sound though is really good, maybe not strat clear but really nice. I was planning on tearing a set out too, until I really gave them a chance.

If you add a boost in front of an amp you can get the gain up to hot output levels, but they still have so much clarity. Even without the boost they cut through pretty well and don’t get buried in the mix.

Anyway that’s a great choice for a guitar, I hope you enjoy it. If more people tried the PRS 594’s they would see what they are missing out on.

Comment

I would personally prefer the PRS Mc Carthy. I like its design (including the wrap around bridge). And the one in the pic looks gorgeous.
                                I also like that kind of semi-hollow with one F (I have a baritone PRS like that but MIK).

But to be honest I never played a Kiesel.

Anyway if you have the choice between a great second hand guitar and a new and a new item for the same price price I would go for the old one. But fret wear (and re-fret price) has to be taken into consideration.
                                Last edited by Francois; 04-20-2020, 01:49 AM.
                                Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                                X